03. scud mountain boys - massachusetts

04. richard buckner - since

05. wilco - being there

06. the backsliders - southern lines

07. neko case - furnace room lullaby

08. drive by truckers - southern rock opera

09. magnolia electric co.- magnolia electric co

10. jim white - no such place

Seriously. Uncle Tupelo birthed alt-country from its loins. All the Uncle Tupelo albums should be on there. Half of those on the list barely qualify, if at all.

1. Uncle Tupelo - Anodyne

2. Uncle Tupelo - March 16-20, 1992

3. Uncle Tupelo - Still Feel Gone

4. Uncle Tupelo - No Depression

5. Son Volt - Trace

6. The Jayhawks - Hollywood Town Hall

7. Wilco - Being There

Then you can fill it out however else you like, that's what the core should look like, in my opinion. Also, if you use this

Earle’s songwriting talent has cast him variously as a bluegrass traditionalist, political activist, and confessional troubadour of worthy of Blood on the Tracks-era Dylan

to justify an alt-country record, then doesn't Dylan's Blood on the Tracks deserve the top spot?

Seriously. Uncle Tupelo birthed alt-country from its loins. All the Uncle Tupelo albums should be on there. Half of those on the list barely qualify, if at all.

1. Uncle Tupelo - Anodyne

2. Uncle Tupelo - March 16-20, 1992

3. Uncle Tupelo - Still Feel Gone

4. Uncle Tupelo - No Depression

5. Son Volt - Trace

6. The Jayhawks - Hollywood Town Hall

7. Wilco - Being There

Then you can fill it out however else you like, that's what the core should look like, in my opinion. Also, if you use this

to justify an alt-country record, then doesn't Dylan's Blood on the Tracks deserve the top spot?

It would, yes...and countless others. It read as some arbitrary starting point w/Anodyne.

Where's :

The Byrds - Sweetheart of the Rodeo

Dylan - Basement Tapes

Dylan - Blood On The Tracks

Flying Buritto Bros - Gilded Palace of Sin

Gram - GP/Grievous Angel

Dillard & Clark - The Fantastic Expedition of

blah

blah

blah

blah

My list (as if you care); in vaguely chronological order:

The Byrds - Sweetheart Of the Rodeo

Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison

Gram Parsons - GP

Willie Nelson - The Red-Headed Stranger

Emmylou Harris - Pieces Of the Sky

Lyle Lovett - Pontiac

Uncle Tupelo - No Depression

Jayhawks - Hollywood Town Hall

Son Volt - Trace

Steve Earle - Train a' Comin'

No, no Wilco albums, because their first album wasn't very notable as an album, in general, let alone an essential Alt-country album. And their subsequent albums were something else altogether.

And, as far that the list at the link... just... no.

What makes this country alternative?

Or this.

It's shame people can't just admit they like country music.

It's the attitude. The approach. And the influence.

Johnny and Willie were not playing by the rules, they just happened to sell enough records that it was tolerated within the mainstream.

And as far as admitting that I like country music, I'll tell everyone that I know. I love country music.

The best of it is some of the best pure American songwriting that there is. Period.

I suppose that some other Nashville hitmakers like Dwight Yoakam or even Dolly Parton could be thrown under the "Alt" banner. For me, I think it means a strict adherence to following your muse, no matter what Nashville is telling you that you have to do.

I agree, and retroactively labelling the Byrds as "Alt-Country", makes me a bit ill.

Hell, it's just country music. It's history that's given it the perspective. Same with the Johnny and Willie records.

Or, as Willie himself might say:

It's all just music, let the suits sort it out into what's what kind.

Hmm... my take on this list is quite different from most everyone else's in the thread. Even though it is titled 10 Essential Alt-country Albums, if you read the article prior to the list, the listmaker doesn't appear to be saying "THESE ARE THE BEST ALT-COUNTRY ALBUMS". It seems as though they are simply saying post Uncle Tupelo (they make it clear why UT isn't in the list), here are 10 alt-country albums that are great representations of the genre and deserve to be heard. This quote toward the end pretty much says that they know that there are other great albums: "The ten selections for this list are in no way comprehensive. Instead, they offer a selection of music that is just as vital as Anodyne and informed by a similar appreciation for bluegrass, honky-tonk, and country and western music". Some of you are jumping on it like that asinine list of the '100 Greatest Living Songwriters' that Paste did 2 years ago. That was, like most magazine lists, ridiculous. This one a rarity among mag lists. It makes sense within the bounds that the authors set for it. We often jump straight to the list and begin eviscerating it. Usually we are right but in this case, we'd be wrong. I am glad that I read the prior text.

I'm not trying to start a post-modern genres are illusion discussion. (cause we all know they are somewhat but are useful as handles), but I never really put Being There down as "alt-country". It has some obviously country songs, but so many other things going on.

Earle's El Corazon seems like one of his strongest albums to me. I would put it above Jerusalem, The Revolutions Starts Now, Guitartown. But if you want to talk about Earle doing alt-country, or really country rock (fucking genres) its all about I Feel Alright.

I'm not trying to start a post-modern genres are illusion discussion. (cause we all know they are somewhat but are useful as handles), but I never really put Being There down as "alt-country". It has some obviously country songs, but so many other things going on.

Earle's El Corazon seems like one of his strongest albums to me. I would put it above Jerusalem, The Revolutions Starts Now, Guitartown. But if you want to talk about Earle doing alt-country, or really country rock (fucking genres) its all about I Feel Alright.

No.

It's all about Train a Comin'.