• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 pages 8 election threads, still not convinced Obama is the one, keep trying people!

did anyone dare to watch Obama on the O'Reilly Factor last night? I hate Bill O'Reilly, but I just had to see that interview. There will be more of the interview next week. I thought Obama did really well, considering Bill would interrupt him half the time before he could complete a point.

I watched the O'Reilly interview and I thought that BO did well. I did think Bill interrupted a little too much but O'Reilly just tries to keep Barack, and/or whoever he's interviewing, on topic. He may get a little aggressive in doing it at times but I can appreciate it when some politicians have a habit of getting into the same stump speech rhetoric. It was nice to see a good interview. I will be watching (DVRing) all of them.

I watched the O'Reilly interview and I thought that BO did well. I did think Bill interrupted a little too much but O'Reilly just tries to keep Barack, and/or whoever he's interviewing, on topic. He may get a little aggressive in doing it at times but I can appreciate it when some politicians have a habit of getting into the same stump speech rhetoric. It was nice to see a good interview. I will be watching (DVRing) all of them.

yeah, to Bill's credit, at least he has a variety of people on his show with differing political points of view, unlike Keith Olbermann. I would love for Keith to have the balls to interview McCain or Palin on his show.

bobbob, correct me if I'm off base, but isn't the Hispanic vote factioned anyway -- due to prejudices and histories of each country and how they respond to one another, as well as the United States? Mexicans, for instance, were a strong base for Bush, which other Latin countries are more liberal?

It all depends. I know cubans vote hewvily republican, moslt because of bitterness towards democrats because of bay of pigs and then the whole elian thing.

Someone said "hispanics are white people" at the end of round 7...what does that mean?

Latin American ethnicity is a mix of white European spaniards, black slaves, and native Americans. Peruvians, chileans, argentinians, and brazilians tend to be more fair skinned and lighter haired because of an influx of Germans and Jews in the 20th century.

I'm not an expert, but that's pretty close.

Keep them on topic? Shit, Bill O is classic ADHD, jumping around to 4 new questions while Barry is still trying to say hello. And that damn snickery smile of his, uggghhhh. Between that and McCain's nap I felt like the election was already over and the GOP were on the next 4 years or ruin(n)ation.

I would love for Keith to have the balls to interview McCain or Palin on his show.

It would be interesting to know for sure, but I can't imagine Olbermann's show has not already asked for a McCain interview and that it would be McCain's side saying "no."

Edit: Oops, same response as above, just a bit too slow.

I get the different impression from BillO. I think he interrupts and shouts does his antics, whatever they may be in order to 1) keep the opponant (because that is how he views his interviews) offf balance and not allow them to complete an answer he does not like, 2) to keep them off balance with a barrage of questions/antics so that he can slip in a question with no right anser and 3) to keep the pace of the show under his control so that the opponant can not get points out coherently. BillO is a shit bag and by granting him an interview Obama actully elevates the legitimacy of BillO.

yeah, to Bill's credit, at least he has a variety of people on his show with differing political points of view, unlike Keith Olbermann. I would love for Keith to have the balls to interview McCain or Palin on his show.

I would lovve for them to have the balls to go on a show that will ask them tough questions and make them answer.

It means you can be both.

My mom's from Peru, from however many generations that goes back to the 1780s. She's white. Is she not hispanic? Am I not hispanic?

Or multiracial? But I catch your drift, I thought you meant Hispanics weren't a group...that they were white (only). Carry on.

Peruvians, chileans, argentinians, and brazilians tend to be more fair skinned and lighter haired because of an influx of Germans and Jews in the 20th century.

I'm not an expert, but that's pretty close.

Peruvians tend to be either brown or white (with not a lot in between) because of the geography. The Spaniards that settled the area tended to stay near the coast, like Lima, while the Incas tended to stay way up in the mountains. Not a lot of mixing going on, generally (at least compared to Mexico).

Chileans and Argentinians tend to be whiter, for the most part, because of the lack of native population when the Spaniards arrived. Not a lot to mix with, and not a lot of African slaves imported

Brazilians had a much larger influx of African slaves originally, than the other three countries above, due to the sugar / slave trade. Brazil has a much more mixed white to brown rainbow than the other three.

I, too, doubt that Keith fears the GOP Presidential or the GOP VP candidates. Don't say their names, it gives them power. pfft.

I get the different impression from BillO. I think he interrupts and shouts does his antics, whatever they may be in order to 1) keep the opponant (because that is how he views his interviews) offf balance and not allow them to complete an answer he does not like, 2) to keep them off balance with a barrage of questions/antics so that he can slip in a question with no right anser and 3) to keep the pace of the show under his control so that the opponant can not get points out coherently. BillO is a shit bag and by granting him an interview Obama actully elevates the legitimacy of BillO.

I would lovve for them to have the balls to go on a show that will ask them tough questions and make them answer.

Keep the pace of the show under his control? All that shit is edited for the sake of "keeping the pace."

Did you watch the interview?

I'm sure if Olberman has asked and McCain denied he'd be talking about it on every show.

But not in census (political survey). Right?

Generally, your options are:

Hispanic

Black

Native American

Asian/Pacific Islander

White (non-Hispanic)

I should have said many Hispanics are considered a subset of "White". It's all subjective anyway. When I worked in a hospital, one of my responsibilities was logging information on children who had received care, and one of the fields was for race. When I asked what to do with patients who identified as both black and Hispanic, I was told to count them as African American (an inaccurate term for "race" in any context, but that's another issue) unless they had a Hispanic last name. It's not exactly scientific.