• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy Shit! I was wondering if they got permission.

Meh. The GOP will just use this as further proof that the entire entertainment industry is out to get them, yada yada. I mean, even Heart hates them! :yawn

Wait, isn't Heart a Canadian band? Or am I confusing them with somebody?

The strange thing about the O'Reilly show (Orally Men for you Fawlty Tower types) last night was that he was tripping over himself over his glee that Sarah Palin was now a "star", and how great it was that the GOP finally had a "star."

Isn't that what they had been criticizing Obama for being?

Generally, your options are:

Hispanic

Black

Native American

Asian/Pacific Islander

White (non-Hispanic)

I should have said many Hispanics are considered a subset of "White". It's all subjective anyway. When I worked in a hospital, one of my responsibilities was logging information on children who had received care, and one of the fields was for race. When I asked what to do with patients who identified as both black and Hispanic, I was told to count them as African American (an inaccurate term for "race" in any context, but that's another issue) unless they had a Hispanic last name. It's not exactly scientific.

I guess we don't have time to acknowledge culture. After all, I am not a German American. I am white. There is a lot of difference between a German American and a ______________American

Meh. The GOP will just use this as further proof that the entire entertainment industry is out to get them, yada yada. I mean, even Heart hates them! :yawn

Wait, isn't Heart a Canadian band? Or am I confusing them with somebody?

You might be thinking of Rush...an equally shitty band of that era.

The way I understand it, the boat ride here changed all that. Forced generalization of 'white'.

I can think of some people who came here on boats that didn't get forced into the 'white' generalization. Just sayin'.

And according to the all-knowing Wikipedia, Heart was only briefly based out of Canada because the male members of the band didn't want to go to Vietnam. Draft-dodging hippes! :P

I love liberals who hate on bill o'reilly and them go on to praise olberman.

I hope you aren't referring to my comments because I'm not fond of Olbermann at the moment. I'm really sick of his commentaries and can't bare to listen to any of them.

also, someone commented that he would be ranting on and on if McCain was asked to be interviewed and turned it down, which leads me to believe that McCain has not been asked. Olbermann is a paranoid person when it comes to Republicans and wanted extra security for himself at the RNC because he thought there would be an assasination attempt on him. :rolleyes

The problem here is that McCain is refusing to do interviews with certain people. In the recent incident with CNN's Campbell Brown who tried repeatedly to get an answer from Tucker Bounds (McCain campaign spokesman), who took several attempts to stop spinning his answer away from the real question she asked, he is now refusing to be interviewed by Larry King

At least Obama granted the interviews with opposing interviewers.

Here's the interview

BillO is pure entertainment nothing more there is no substance to his show and he is not above creatign facts to suit his need (War on christmas anyone?) or outrage to suit his need. Olbermann is genuinely pissed about the state of our nation and calls out the likes of Billo and Rush etc... when they lie or misrepresent. I woudl hate Bill O regardless of who i was going to vote for the guy is a class A dick.

Keep the pace of the show under his control? All that shit is edited for the sake of "keeping the pace."

Did you watch the interview?

I'm sure if Olberman has asked and McCain denied he'd be talking about it on every show.

I didn't watch the interview yet. I'm referring to Billo in a general sense of how his show works.

Are you sure about that? Or are you speculating. Is Larry King going on annd on about McCain canceling because he is mad that CNN asked his guy to actually answer a question? I want more reporters to get these guys to actually answer the question asked and stop letting them tap dance in circles around the actual question.

Keep the pace of the show under his control? All that shit is edited for the sake of "keeping the pace."

Did you watch the interview?

I'm sure if Olberman has asked and McCain denied he'd be talking about it on every show.

I watched it. Bill's spaz out kept Obama to 5 second responses that required a little more elaboration. Bill needs to take some lessons from Charlie Rose. Charlie is a spaz too, but controls it so well he appears asleep. Best Charlie Rose moment was the 'Into the Wild' interview where Penn smokes 2 packs and Ed Ved is stoned.

Come on now......Rush = shitty, yes.

But Heart was a pretty good band with some solid songs.

As many 'round here say...subjective. To each his own.

Bobbob, someone posted this link a few days ago here, and this one is very disturbing to me about McCain and his temperament. It is an interview he is giving to Time magazine reporter and I think they're on a plane because it's sort of hard to hear the audio, but I thought it was important to listen to, to hear the way he condescends and refuses to talk. This is not presidential campaign behavior. It's not presidential behavior, IMO.

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmem...ses_to_defi.php

Prickly McCain Refuses To Define "Honor" In Interview

By Greg Sargent - August 28, 2008, 10:33AM

John McCain gave an odd interview to Time magazine in which he got testy and irritable when asked to define the word "honor"...

There's a theme that recurs in your books and your speeches, both about putting country first but also about honor. I wonder if you could define honor for us?

Read it in my books.

I've read your books.

No, I'm not going to define it.

But honor in politics?

I defined it in five books. Read my books.

?????

You might be thinking of Rush...an equally shitty band of that era.

Heart is from the Northwest US Seatle/Washington state. I beliee in their early days they traveled up the road to Vancouver and such and did develop a little Canadiian identity, they they are definatly from the US.

ill GOP Ticket's 'Values' Appeal Reach Swing Voters?

By Joseph J. Schatz, CQ Staff Fri Sep 5, 12:28 AM ET

John McCain spoke of service, security and shaking up Washington Thursday night as he claimed the GOP presidential nomination that eluded him for almost a decade.

But it was the Arizona senator's choice of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate, and her acceptance speech Wednesday night, that stole the show this week in St. Paul and may have altered the Republican message heading into what is shaping up as a rough-and-tumble autumn battle for the presidency.

As a staunch opponent of abortion rights, Palin's presence on the ticket has rallied the GOP's social conservative base. And in her convention speech, Palin fired up the party faithful by mocking Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama's oratorical reputation and work as a community organizer, and accused Democrats of looking down on small-town voters.

The abrupt shift to bare-knuckled partisanship in the middle of this week's convention appeared to indicate that Republicans intend to rally their rural and socially conservative base with culturally-tinged attacks painting Democrats as elitists, even as Democrats say it's McCain who is out of touch with the middle class.

"This is going to be a 'values' election," Rep. Thomas M. Davis III, R-Va., said Thursday morning at a convention roundtable in Minneapolis.

But if independent and swing voters are the key to the election, reaching those voters with appeals to values attractive to the conservative flanks of the Republican Party may be difficult, warned Terry Nelson, the political director of President Bush's 2004 re-election campaign who ran McCain's campaign until last summer.

"It's a conundrum," Nelson said Thursday. "The key group of voters in this election is independent voters and some conservative Democrats."

For those voters, the driving factors in voter decision making are likely to be energy, the economy or national security even if the outcome of the presidential election will determine how major conservative causes will fare over the next four years, said Kansas Republican Sen. Sam Brownback.

Obama, and his running mate, Sen. Joseph R. Biden, Jr., focused on the economy during last week's Democratic convention and have positioned themselves as a ticket in touch with "middle-class" Americans.

Obama said Thursday he was not surprised by the attacks, and blasted Republicans for offering no prescriptions to address economic problems.

"You haven't heard a word about how we're going to deal with any aspect of the economy that is affecting you and your pocketbook day-to-day," Obama told reporters in York, Pennsylvania. "Haven't heard a word about it. I'm not exaggerating. Literally, two nights, they have not said a word about it."

The charge that McCain is ignoring the economy is also worrying some in the GOP. Republican strategists say that after a week of speeches focused largely on reform and national security, McCain's biggest hurdle remains the economy.

"I think it's the greatest challenge," former McCain adviser Mark McKinnon said, at a Thursday discussion looking ahead to the fall campaign, referring to economic and health care issues.

Palin's speech on Wednesday appeared to indicate that the GOP ticket will also appeal to white blue-collar workers -- whom Obama continues to have trouble attracting -- on issues including abortion rights, the Iraq war and Obama's comment earlier this year that rural voters "cling to guns or religion" out of bitterness.

Republicans say Palin's selection will help win the backing of disaffected Democratic supporters of Hillary Rodham Clinton, though Democrats counter that her conservative positions on many issues will keep them in the Democratic column.

Rep. Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., blamed Obama and other Democrats for launching a cultural war by attacking Palin and criticizing small-town Americans for their gun ownership and evangelical values. "We didn't start this. He started this by saying one thing in Scranton and another thing in San Francisco," McCarthy said. "He is the elitist."

Social conservative leaders say Palin has motivated the evangelical base to work hard on McCain's behalf this fall -- something McCain could not take for granted before last week, given his uneasy long-term relationship with the party base. A huge turnout among conservatives was widely credited as a key element in Bush's 2004 re-election.

Davis of Virginia noted that the general election is beginning to look like "almost a replay of 2004 in terms of cultural alignment."

But Republicans are trailing the Democrats in party identification and registration. Democrats have registered record numbers of new voters.

That probably means independent voters must be part of any winning equation for the GOP.

I praise Olberman for 2 things:

1) His pairing with Dan Patrick at ESPN.

2) This commentary on Aug. 30, 2006:

The man who sees absolutes where all other men see nuances and shades of meaning is either a profit or a quack. Donald H. Rumsfeld is not a profit. We end the COUNTDOWN where we began, our No. 1 story with a special comment on Mr. Rumsfeld

So Olbermann and O'Reilly are different and it has nothing to do with the fact that the majority of you agree with Olbermann and disagree with O'Reilly?

I don't care for either, but at least Olbermann doesn't have the chutzpah to characterize his editorials as "no spin."

I have nothing to add to the Olberman/O'Reilly discussion since I don't watch either of them. But with the NHL season almost upon us, I'd like send out a big FU to Ms. Palin for politicizing the sport of hockey. :realmad

Yeah, I know. Pretty weak, but its all I got today.

I have nothing to add to the Olberman/O'Reilly discussion since I don't watch either of them. But with the NHL season almost upon us, I'd like send out a big FU to Ms. Palin for politicizing the sport of hockey. :realmad

Yeah, I know. Pretty weak, but its all I got today.

Still it won't make anyone watch the god awful sport.

Sorry too off topic?

McCain ate my parakeet