bold statement. i greatly dislike weeds. i do like dexter and californication quite a bit, but seriously?

i guess you never watched the sopranos...

well, let me put this in context. we're talking about TV here, not fine art, which is overblown as well. given what's on TV, Weeds, Dexter, Cali are at least a bit compelling. sopranos ok for a few seasons, but no pay off. seriously, wack tony, that would have been cool. again, we're talking about TV.

There's more effort going into making the show look good than actually making a good show.

it was good up until josh jackson, or whatever his name is. terrible.

There's definitely potential, but I think it has miles and miles to go before it could be mentioned in the same sentence as Dexter or Californication. Based on the first show, I'd keep watching Entourage before True Blood. But .... I'll give it a few weeks.

Anna Paquin's Bayou accent? Pretty rough, but her friend (Tara ??) is worse.

entourage is so bad! like, terrible.

My wife & I have a bet that the dog that showed up last episode is really the owner of the bar and that he's really a werewolf or something.

Yep. I called this. Remember Bill said that some vampires can change shape? Maybe Sam is a vampire. Have we ever seen him during the day? The dog is definitely significant.

well they did pan up to a painting of a dog over little girl, insert spoon into mouth.

so far, it's pretty hokey & obvious, mrs. perm is in love with the main vamp, so that'll coast her through the season. I do like his & anna's relationship so far, everyone else is coming off as turds and one dimensional. I'm sure grandma knows more than we know, and somebody, if not the bar dude is the dog, or they could be bringing back a dark version of Lassie, nice.

I'm ready for Dexter.

My wife & I have a bet that the dog that showed up last episode is really the owner of the bar and that he's really a werewolf or something.

See what I meeaaann...

I'll give this one a shot, but since we're talking about top notch shows I have to say I doubt anything will top Deadwood in the near future.

Californication really grew on me, the weird part is that all the tensions were resolved in the last episode of season 1. Maybe they didn't know if it would be renewed. I guess they'll come up with new stuff....

Dexter is the best show currently in production, that I know of.

The first episode of season 3 is floating around on the interwebs, as well as first 2 of season 2 of Californication.

yes, dexter looks awesome and promising. totally compelling premise and i love that dude who plays dex. creepy, yet i have sympathy for him. californication is scraping the bottom of the barrel. they blew their wad the first season. doesn't mean i wont watch though.

The AV Club's write-ups on each episode so far are pretty good (I'm too lazy to link right now), and they hit the nail on the head for me. I haven't been too impressed so far, but there is enough potential from each episode to bring me back. At least in the short term.

The previews for next week's episode looked pretty intense, at least. Although, if it doesn't pick up soon, I'll probably write it off and stick to the old reliables. The lack of any strong new series this year is pretty good evidence of the effects of the writer's strike.

I'm addicted to this show. I don't think it's that great, but they end every episode with a cliffhanger, right in the middle of a scene. It's not fair, but it'll keep me coming back.

Yes!1 My wife and I looked at each other and smiled.

The show is getting even more interesting. Lots of questions waiting to be answered.

I read that his contract requires a wang double. I wonder if he is against nudity on principle or if he is embarrassed?

I read that his contract requires a wang double. I wonder if he is against nudity on principle or if he is embarrassed?

i'd bet the latter

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say I would take ENTOURAGE any day over this CRAP!!!'

Seriously, I had high hopes, VERY high hopes because of most of what I've read here and the fact that my best friend is hooked. But omg...seriously?!? This is awful. A friend of mine DVR'd it for me. So we watched some of the wang/V episode...I was laughing at the ridiculousness going on. I'm a HUGE fan of 'Twilight' so maybe I'm biased but a vampire going to a BAR TO ORDER A BOTTLE OF BLOOD?!? Good Lord!!!

Seriously, we had to shut it off. I really had hoped for more. Oh well, I'll stick w/ the written word instead... *sigh*

EDIT: Brad - TOTALLY agree on the accents and acting

1. The accents are terrible, but it's called wilful suspension of disbelief...this applies to all shows. Ummm...mechanical black smoke on a deserted island anyone?

2. I don't think a series can be judged by the first few episodes which are simply an introduction...they can be at least intriguing...which I think this is.

3. I think the episodes are in the process of becoming tighter and more interesting...with the right balance of humor and seriousness. The Alan Ball.

4. I like it.

We still dig it but even more so. The premise is just too damned cool. If a) there were vampires and B) synthetic blood were invented, then c) the world would be similar to the show.

We still dig it but even more so. The premise is just too damned cool. If a) there were vampires and B) synthetic blood were invented, then c) the world would be similar to the show.

I hate to quote myself but I just noticed that my 'b with 0 shifted' transformed into the 'cool' emoticon when I hit submit. Can someone explain? Was it vampire power? :dontgetit :huh