The Jimi Hendrix Thread

Uh huh - I have a feeling the Hendrix Estate will be putting a stop to this:

Never Before Available Jimi Hendrix and the Ghetto Fighters™ Material to Be Unveiled

Last update: 9:01 a.m. EDT Sept. 18, 2008

NEW YORK, NY, Sep 18, 2008 (MARKET WIRE via COMTEX) -- After almost four decades away from the public, the never before heard or seen multimedia material produced by Jimi Hendrix and the Ghetto Fighters™ is being released and licensed through a subsidiary of the we-R-you Corporation (PINKSHEETS: WERU), the technology, software and multimedia company. The previously unreleased material was produced by Jimi Hendrix, Arthur Allen and Albert Allen aka TaharQa Aleem and Tunde Ra Aleem, the 3 principals of Jimi Hendrix and the Ghetto Fighters, and will be made available globally through a wholly owned subsidiary of the we-R-you Corporation formed with the Aleem Brothers to bring these projects to market. The Aleems and Jimi Hendrix made up the members of the group and are the originators of the material. The Aleems (who are identical twins) first met and began working with Jimi Hendrix in the mid 1960s and together recorded three Hendrix albums, "Cry of Love," "Rainbow Bridge" and "War Heroes."

The newly available material includes previously unheard recordings, a feature length movie script, an autobiography, a series of animated short stories for TV and the web, and drawings by Hendrix of himself as an illustrated character, which in today's virtual reality world would be known as an avatar. "Jimi was a true visionary," according to TaharQa Aleem, "whose creativity went far beyond music. He saw the future and while he may not have understood computers or known about digital technology and virtual worlds, he knew that things like this were coming and created material that would work in that world." Added brother Tunde Ra, "Jimi might not have known what an avatar was, but he foresaw a day when we would all have representations of ourselves that could move in different worlds. When you see his original sketches of himself and create a real avatar out of them using today's technology, the result is amazing." The Ghetto fighters were formed in 1970 by Jimi and the Aleem Brothers to explore new projects that would go beyond the work Jimi had been doing and expand the sounds he was working with. "The music and material sounds brand new," according to TaharQa, "and for all intents and purposes it is. It'll surprise and delight current fans and new ones to come."

"The material will be released in segments," according to Allen LeWinter, Chief Branding and Marketing Officer of we-R-you, who is heading up the project. "It's like finding more treasure than you could have imagined and realizing that each element needs to be released in its own time and way," continued LeWinter. "The Aleems are incredibly talented and incredibly protective at the same time and want to ensure that this is done just right for the legacy of Jimi Hendrix and The Ghetto Fighters." The Aleems and all the rights were first brought to we-R-you through the efforts of Spydo Mobile and its principal, Duane "Spyder" Hughes. Spyder recognized the changing face of the entertainment business and brought the Aleems to we-R-you for an "all in one deal."

About The Aleem Brothers
Tunde Ra and TaharQa Aleem began their careers working with the greats of rhythm & blues such as Sam Cook, Sam & Dave, Otis Redding, Big Maybelle, Bobby Womack, Clarence "Blowfly" Reid and many others. Learning the inner workings of the music industry through their association with Harlem legend Fat Jack Taylor, owner of the independent label Ro-Jack Records, TaharQa and Tunde Ra would later establish the famous Harlem World club with Taylor, which proved to be a spawning ground for a large number of pioneer rap acts. While working with Ro-Jack Records, the Aleems first met Jimi Hendrix while Jimi was still a sideman playing and touring with Little Richard, the Isley Brothers and others. Soon after, Jimi, TaharQa and Tunde Ra shared an apartment in Manhattan's Park West Village and formed a bond which would indelibly shape the brothers' as well as Jimi's life and career.

About we-R-you, Corporation
we-R-you is a next generation secure and private social networking portal converged with online photo and video albums, a music library, a personal, private and secure remote hard drive ("cloud drive"), integrated SMS, IM, Email and VoIP, significant security enhancements above using the "public internet" and many more productivity tools. we-R-you is strategically positioned to capitalize on consumer demand for an optimized online experience. By design we-R-you doesn't just blend the most powerful features and customer retention components of a "portal" with those of the world's leading social networking sites; we-R-you raises the bar to another level, including original multimedia entertainment content and product and the experience of its executives in the marketing and distribution of that product. The result is an optimized social networking site that integrates security, communication, contact management and productivity solutions. we-R-you untangles the mess of using 5 separate programs to do 5 separate things. It simplifies interaction with contacts, improves productivity, increases virus protection and virtually eliminates the likelihood of losing data. It's an environment where everything is online.
"SAFE HARBOR" STATEMENT UNDER THE PRIVATE SECURITIES LITIGATION REFORM ACT OF 1995: The statements contained in this release which are not historical facts are forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those set forth in or implied by forward-looking statements. These risks and uncertainties include the Company's entry into new commercial businesses, the risk of obtaining financing, recruiting and retaining qualified personnel, and other risks described in the Company's Securities and Exchange Commission filings. The forward-looking statements in this press release speak only as of the date hereof, and the Company disclaims any obligation to provide updates, revisions or amendments to any forward-looking statement to reflect changes in the Company's expectations or future events.

Copyright and TM 2008 we-R-you, Corporation All Rights Reserved

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt they will re-release any of the Douglas era recordings - at least not in the way Douglas put them together.

Crash Landing 1975, Midnight Lightning 1975, Nine to The Universe 1980 (The unedited versions of "Jimi/Jimmy Jam" and "Drone Blues" were featured on the 2004 Dagger Records release Hear My Music), Radio One - BBC Sessions 1988 (this one was re-done and released by the family)

• 1 year later...

I just noticed this was posted at the official site in August:

Legacy Recordings Preparing For 2010 Launch of Monumental Jimi Hendrix Catalog Project Including Deluxe, Expanded Editions of Titles Released During Jimi's Meteoric Career, Never Before Heard Studio Recordings, Alternate Versions of Classics, One of a Kind 'Live and In Concert' Performances and More

Sony Music Entertainment and Experience Hendrix L.L.C. have agreed to a monumental catalog licensing deal to set the stage for a worldwide campaign to make all of Jimi's extraordinary music, including classics, never before heard archive recordings, and filmed concerts available through every type of media.

Legacy Recordings, Sony's catalog music division, will issue definitive deluxe editions of the classics released during Jimi's all too brief career including GRAMMYr Hall Of Fame Inductees "Are You Experienced", "Axis: Bold As Love", "Electric Ladyland" and (outside the US) "Band of Gypsys." In addition, Legacy will also release those posthumous compilations produced by Experience Hendrix during its stewardship. Each title will also be available through major Digital Service Providers.

The family has buying bootlegs, and putting them out for a while now. I have never messed with any of those cds though.

I just read a bunch of Hendrix books that I have never read before - and I have to say that Black Gold: The Lost Archives of Jimi Hendrix by Steven Roby is a great book - I learned a lot of stuff I did not know.

I just noticed this was posted at the official site in August:

The family has buying bootlegs, and putting them out for a while now. I have never messed with any of those cds though.

I just read a bunch of Hendrix books that I have never read before - and I have to say that Black Gold: The Lost Archives of Jimi Hendrix by Steven Roby is a great book - I learned a lot of stuff I did not know.

Thanks for the heads up on Black Gold. I have a pretty decent collection of Jimi books, but I've never read that one.

Steve Roby (website)

Steve Roby (video lecture)

I should say it's not a book for a causal fan - what he does is go through all the sessions/tapes that Hendrix was involved in, and talks about their availability (officially and/or bootlegs). It is very detailed.

He was the editor and publisher of the fanzine Straight Ahead.

Speaking of that, there is also the Univibes website.

I have a couple of old Hendrix themed guitar magazines from the 1980s that have some nice photos and articles, including some nice close-ups of some of his guitars.

That sounds like it would be right up my alley. I'd hardly consider myself a casual fan - I'm a real geek for the arcane stuff like that.

• 2 months later...

Some more news about the new releases (from Billboard.com):

Jimi Hendrix Explores New 'Valleys

An album of previously unreleased Jimi Hendrix studio recordings is set for release in March, kicking off a brand new exploration of the legendary guitar virtuoso's life and works in the lead-up to the 40th anniversary of his death in 1970. "Valleys of Neptune," a 12-song collection that includes the final studio sessions of the original Jimi Hendrix Experience lineup and Hendrix's first recordings with bassist Billy Cox, is set for release on Mar. 9 on Sony's Legacy Recordings. The album marks the launch of the 2010 Jimi Hendrix Catalog Project, a partnership between the label and Experience Hendrix LLC, the company charged with overseeing the guitarist's music and image.

Taken mostly from several 1969 sessions, "Valleys of Neptune" was originally recorded and newly mixed by Eddie Kramer, the Electric Ladyland studio engineer who worked closely with Hendrix. Kramer used both cutting-edge digital and analog equipment to restore the master tapes to the original, pristine quality.

The title track, much craved by Hendrix devotees, delivers on the promise of the musician's legendary trove of unreleased material: a fully realized song written and recorded by Hendrix at his creative peak in 1970 that had remained unrecovered for nearly four decades. The song will be released as a single globally on Feb. 2.

Other highlights of the album include the only JHE studio recording of "Hear My Train A Comin'," a Hendrix blues original that he often performed live; a searing instrumental take on Cream's "Sunshine of Your Love;" the extended stage arrangements of JHE classics "Fire" and "Red House," recorded in preparation for the band's 1969 Royal Albert Hall concert recordings; and "Mr. Bad Luck," one of the only original tunes the then-unknown guitarist performed in tiny Greenwich Village nightclubs in 1966.

"It is important that everyone understand that this is not the 'lost' album," explains John McDermott, Experience Hendrix archivist, who wrote extensive liner notes for the release. "It is the documentation of an important point in his career when the original JHE was making a follow up to 'Electric Ladyland' in 1969. Once Jimi started working with Billy Cox, he started making his creative transition and left this material on the shelf."

Hendrix died on September 18, 1970 at the age of 27, having released only four albums and a few singles in his lifetime.

In addition to "Valleys of Neptune," Legacy Recordings is also planning deluxe CD/DVD editions of key Hendrix albums "Are You Expereinced," "Axis: Bold As Love," "Electric Ladyland" and "First Rays of the New Rising Sun" for Mar. 9 release. Each DVD will include a brand new documentary about the making of its respective album, directed "Beatles Anthology" creator Bob Smeaton and feature interviews with Jimi Hendrix Experience players Mitch Mitchell, Noel Redding and Cox, as well as Kramer and original producer Chas Chandler.

Other planned 2010 Hendrix releases include a reissue of "Smash Hits," the 1968 compilation of singles, b-sides and several standout JHE album tracks; a DVD and Blu-ray release of "Live at Woodstock;" and a multi-disc box set. A new documentary film is also in the works.

Additionally, the 17-date Experience Hendrix Tour 2010 kicks off Mar. 4 in Santa Barbara, Calif. The fourth outing of the biennial tour features many top rock and blues musicians performing music written and inspired by Hendrix. This year's tour features Joe Satriani, Aerosmith's Brad Whitford, Jonny Lang, Kenny Wayne Shepard, Ernie Isley, Los Lobos and Living Colour, among others. Cox, Hendrix's army buddy who played bass in both the JHE and Band of Gypsies and at the Woodstock and Isle of Wight festivals, will perform at all of the dates.

So "Valleys of Neptune" is all Hendrix? Sounds like they are not bringing in another guitarist to beef up the tracks (like Midnight lightning for example)? Man, that is great news.

That has not happened since Midnight Lightning. Most of the stuff they are going to put out now is not all that great, unless you are a Hendrix super fan and must have it all (the unreleased stuff).

It sounds like they have got their hands on some more material they did have. That is how some of those songs came to be on the box set. They were able to buy the tapes that Chandler had after he died.

I didn't think there was anything coming out that I would want this year besides the supposed Jayhawks re-masters, so this is good news.

You can find various versions of VON on Youtube:

Valleys of Neptune

I don't get the Smash Hits re-release. And, I already own two versions of the Woodstock set, plus the DVD that is already available.

Hopefully, we are going to see this film:

And later performed two sold-out concerts at London's Royal Albert Hall on February 18 and February 24, 1969, which were the last European appearances of this line-up of the "Jimi Hendrix Experience". A Gold and Goldstein-produced film titled Experience was also recorded at these two shows, which, according to Experience Hendrix LLC, "Elements of these recordings are sure to be utilized when the official release of this material is finally made.

Black Gold is what I would like to seem them release.

I stand corrected. Some of the tracks had work added on in 1987. What a bunch of BS.

Edited by Analogman

Black Gold is what I would like to seem them release.

Whoa, I always wished Hendrix would have recorded more acoustic stuff. That sounds amazing.

I stand corrected. Some of the tracks had work added on in 1987. What a bunch of BS.

Is this in regards to Valleys of Neptune? Nooooo!

Whoa, I always wished Hendrix would have recorded more acoustic stuff. That sounds amazing.

Is this in regards to Valleys of Neptune? Nooooo!

I read about it on another message board. Apparently, Noel and Mitch did work on some of the tracks in 1987. At least I think that is what the deal is. Now that I think about it, I believe there is some mention of the overdubbing work in Noel's book.

Stone Free

Recorded: Record Plant, New York, April 7, 9, 14, May 17,1969

Producer: Jimi Hendrix

Vocal, Guitar: Jimi Hendrix

Bass: Billy Cox

Drums: Mitch Mitchell

Backing Vocals: Roger Chapman, Andy Fairweather Low

Valleys of Neptune

Recorded: Record Plant, New York, September 23, 1969, May 15, 1970

Percussion: Juma Sultan

Bleeding Heart

Recorded: Record Plant, New York, April 24, 1969

Drums: Rocky Isaac

Tambourine: Chris Grimes

Maracas: Al Marks

Hear My Train A Comin’

Recorded: Record Plant, New York, April 7, 1969

Bass: Noel Redding

Mr. Bad Luck

Recorded: Olympic Studios, London, May 5, 1967

Producer: Chas Chandler

Additional bass and drum recording, Air Studios, London, June 5, 1987

Sunshine of Your Love

Recorded: Olympic Studios, London, February 16, 1969

Guitar: Jimi Hendrix

Percussion: Rocki Dzidzornu

Lover Man

Ships Passing Through the Night

Recorded: Record Plant, New York, April 14, 1969

Guitar, Vocals: Jimi Hendrix

Fire

Recorded: Olympic Studios, London, February 17, 1969

Bass, Backing Vocal: Noel Redding

Red House

Recorded: Olympic Studios, London, February 17, 1969

Lullaby for the Summer

Recorded: Record Plant, New York, April 7, 1969

Mixed By Eddie Kramer

Guitar: Jimi Hendrix

Crying Blue Rain

Additional bass and drum recording, Air Studios, London, June 5, 1987

Percussion: Rocki Dzidzornu

I read about it on another message board. Apparently, Noel and Mitch did work on some of the tracks in 1987. At least I think that is what the deal is. Now that I think about it, I believe there is some mention of the overdubbing work in Noel's book.

I could live with them maybe adding drums and bass although I would prefer to hear the originals obviously. I just don't want anyone going in there and overdubbing more guitars.

I could live with them maybe adding drums and bass although I would prefer to hear the originals obviously. I just don't want anyone going in there and overdubbing more guitars.

I think the deal was those were Jimi only tracks, and they wanted to make them into something more than demos, or the bass and drum tracks were lost. I can't recall exactly. I don't own Noel's or Mitch's book, so I can't look it up.

I am not a fan of such things. I recall Zappa getting all sorts of backlash when he did that.

I think Crying Blue Rain (also called In from the Storm at one point, and also Gypsy Blood) was a Noel Redding song (or the title was).

Mr. Bad Luck (Look Over Yonder) was originally to be on Axis: Bold as Love. Look Over Yonder is on South Saturn Delta.

Back at TTG Studios, Hendrix revives the sessions of "Mr. Bad Luck" (previously known as "Mr. Lost Soul") and later decides to rename the song "Look Over Yonder" after the seventeenth take.

I wish I had that book I read a while back. You could tell the guy did his research. There should be some stuff about those songs in the Eddie Kramer book. I should take a look and see sometime this week.

• 3 weeks later...

Seriously? I thought that was stellar. That song could hold it's own on any of the Experience albums, and certainly wouldn't be the worst song on any of them.

I meant not in that rough rehearsal form. I actually prefer the later Hendrix songs, particularly his guitar sound from that era.

I meant not in that rough rehearsal form. I actually prefer the later Hendrix songs, particularly his guitar sound from that era.

I've really been enjoyinng his guitar sound from Band of Gypsies era.

On some of the earlier stuff, in particular some of his live TV appearances, he has a terrible guitar tone.

Anyone ever seen the cable TV movie Hendrix? It was on the other night, not bad at all. I mean, it has the usual cheesiness of a biopic, coupled with the fact that it was made-for-tv, but still, the lead actor, Wood Harris (aka Avon Barksdale from The Wire) was a pretty groovy Jimi.

That is the one Showtime made and got sued over (or some sort of legal deal). It's terrible.

Do you have the This! Network? I noticed it was on there.

• 3 weeks later...

I pre-ordered Valleys Of Neptune the other day. I don't think I have ever done that before. I would much rather be able to walk in a record store and buy it the day it came out.

NME News

Jimi Hendrix's rare blues cover to be released after 40 years

'The Filth And The Fury' director Julien Temple also signs up to film the video for 'Bleeding Heart'

A rare Jimi Hendrix cover recorded over 40 years ago is set to be released next month.

'Bleeding Heart', the late veteran's take on Elmore James' classic blues song, is being lined up for a digital release on March 1 and a seven-inch vinyl release seven days later.

Originally recorded in April 1969, the studio recording, featuring Hendrix, bassist Billy Cox and drummer Rocky Isaac, has never been released until now.

Julien Temple, who previously directed the Sex Pistols documentary 'The Filth And The Fury' has also made a video to accompany the track.

The single will feature previously unreleased B-side 'Peace In Mississippi' and will be released in conjunction with his forthcoming posthumous studio album 'Valleys Of Neptune'.

News of the release comes after Hendrix's sister Janie Hendrix revealed that the late legend is to get his own version of the Rock Band computer game.

• 3 weeks later...