The Jimi Hendrix Thread

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any advance word on whether the new remasters have made significant improvements to what is already available?

I think I have been reading a lot of views that seem to go along with this one:

No matter what other reviews you read here, THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO DISCERNABLE DIFFERENCE IN SOUND OR MIXING. Anyone contradicting this a.) is mistakenly comparing either the original, awful 80's CD, the 1990 truncated disc, or the 1993 MCA remaster (check the copyright date on the J-card for your version), or, b.) has never upgraded to, or even heard the 1997 remaster (many fans tragically eschewed buying the 97's, being justifiably annoyed with the prospect of replacing the entire catalog for the 4th time in a decade), or, c.) has bad hearing, inferior equipment, and/or plain old wishful thinking. Anyone who insists they can hear a difference between this disc and the '97 would no doubt also testify to spontaneous, full-body levitation when someone blows an ultrasonic dog whistle in proximity to their personage.

All titles in lavish 6-panel digipaks

36 page booklets include detailed session info, liner notes, photos and memorabilia

DVDs contain exclusive "making of" mini documentaries

I have not bothered buying them. If you count the actual records albums I got when I was a kid, I think I have owned/still do own 3 or 4 versions of those albums already.

I picked up the Valleys of Neptune CD at Target, as that was the only way (other than iTunes) to get the 2 instrumental bonus tracks, Slow Version & Trash Man. I pretty much concur with A-man's review, although I have to say, I thought it was worth buying for Trash Man alone, which has some blistering solo work from Jimi. It's nice to have the other previously unreleased tracks, but I guess it's fair to say that this thing isn't really essential Jimi. Still, I felt it was worth the price.

I picked up the Valleys of Neptune CD at Target, as that was the only way (other than iTunes) to get the 2 instrumental bonus tracks, Slow Version & Trash Man. I pretty much concur with A-man's review, although I have to say, I thought it was worth buying for Trash Man alone, which has some blistering solo work from Jimi. It's nice to have the other previously unreleased tracks, but I guess it's fair to say that this thing isn't really essential Jimi. Still, I felt it was worth the price.

Trashman was on Midnight Lightning.

I think Slow Version was on one of the Dagger Records releases - Hear My Music.

Also, Trashman was too.

Trashman was on Midnight Lightning.

I think Slow Version was on one of the Dagger Records releases - Hear My Music.

Also, Trashman was too.

Ah, I don't have either of those releases, so no wonder.

One of them (Trash Man, I think) sounded a lot like something from Nine to the Universe. Haven't listened to that in years, so not sure it's the same melody. Anyway, good release, but yeah, not truly essential.

• 3 months later...

Jimi Hendrix bandmate sues over '03 release

By David Porter, Associated Press / July 13, 2010

LODI, New Jersey

Lonnie Youngblood was a hotshot saxophone player on the New York club circuit in the mid-1960s when he crossed paths with Jimmy James, a young musician who was turning heads with his dazzling virtuosity on the electric guitar.

After briefly playing in Youngblood's band, James went back to using his real last name and conquered the music world as Jimi Hendrix, while Youngblood fronted a series of rhythm and blues bands that toured with James Brown, Jackie Wilson and other '60s legends.

The friendship between the two endured, though, and in 1969, at the peak of Hendrix's popularity, the two men recorded several songs in a New York studio that became a coda to their relationship when Hendrix died in London the following year of a drug overdose.

The tunes recorded during those two or three days are the subject of a lawsuit Youngblood filed this spring that claims one of the songs, "Georgia Blues," was included on a 2003 compilation without his permission and without crediting him as its author.

The suit seeks unspecified lost-income damages from Hendrix's estate, MCA Records and film director Martin Scorsese, who collaborated on the collection "Martin Scorsese Presents The Blues: Jimi Hendrix." Through representatives, all three parties declined to comment on the lawsuit or didn't return calls Monday.

The lawsuit has not marred Youngblood's memories of Hendrix, whom he describes in terms that evoke Chuck Berry's mythical "Johnny B. Goode":

"He had a guitar in a sack, a change of pants and a shirt in another sack, maybe a toothbrush and some type of comb. And basically that was it," Youngblood said. "He basically didn't have a worry."

Though Youngblood was just one year older than Hendrix, the blues shouter and the future prince of psychedelia were headed in opposite directions musically. Their paths began to diverge around 1965 or '66, when Hendrix discovered hallucinogenic drugs and began to spend more time in New York's Greenwich Village, Youngblood remembers.

"He wanted me to go down to Cafe Wha and play for tips," he said. "To me, that was out of the question. I had a car, a wife, a son, an apartment. I told him, 'You've got to go where you can get some sure money.'"

While Hendrix's popularity soared with such songs as "Hey Joe," ''Purple Haze" and "Foxy Lady," Youngblood became a star on Harlem's club circuit and a fixture on college campuses around the Northeast. Then, one night in 1969 Youngblood was onstage when Hendrix showed up unexpectedly, wearing his signature floppy hat, tassels and ruffled shirt, and "turned the place inside out."

Hendrix told Youngblood he would record some songs with him, Youngblood remembers, as payback for his help several years earlier.

"Jimmy had moved on to another place by then, but it was his way of saying thank you," he said.

Youngblood said he wrote "Georgia Blues" and points out that one line in the song goes, "I was born in Georgia 27 years ago" — a clear reference to Youngblood, who was 27 at the time and a native of Augusta, Georgia.

The lawsuit claims Youngblood released the song himself on the Internet and copyrighted it in 2002. Youngblood said he refused an offer of $3,000 by a lawyer for Hendrix's estate to sell the song.

Lawsuits over authorship or royalties from popular songs were hardly uncommon even back in Hendrix's heyday. Hendrix was dogged by a small-time record producer who claimed to have a contract giving him part of Hendrix's career earnings, according to David Henderson, author of the Hendrix biography "'Scuse Me While I Kiss The Sky."

New, or purportedly new, recordings made by legendary artists can produce the same feeding frenzy, he said.

"Stuff that's in the vault is very valuable and very important to collectors and historians and music lovers," he said. "If someone's famous, that stuff is going to have legs."

Youngblood, 68, who still performs at clubs and private parties in New York and northern New Jersey, said he just wants what is legally his.

"It's the principle," he said. "I want my song back. They had no right to take my song."

Martin Scorsese Presents the Blues: Jimi Hendrix

I remember hearing an interview with (I think) both Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell in 1983 when King Biscuit Flower Hour did a kind of tribute to the Experience, especially 1983 (a Merman I Should Turn to Be). Does anyone know if this interview is floating around the web anywhere? I've looked for it but so far no luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Deluxe Jimi Hendrix Reissues Set For Fall

After a first round of reissues and rarities this year, the Hendrix Estate will release a second set of deluxe reissues this fall, including Jimi Hendrix' Woodstock performance and a collection of the guitarist's U.K. television and radio appearances. Jimi Hendrix: Blues, Live at Woodstock and Jimi Hendrix Experience: BBC Sessions will hit stores on October 9th on both CD and vinyl. Additionally, the Hendrix reissue series will also include a new four-disc compilation titled West Coast Seattle Boy, a career-spanning set that will feature demos, alternate takes and other previously unreleased recordings. West Coast Seattle Boy will be bundled with a new Hendrix documentary by director Bob Smeaton.

Jimi Hendrix: Blues, a collection of blues classics and originals, was originally released in 1994 but this edition will be upgraded with an extended version of Hendrix' segment in Martin Scorsese's documentary The Blues. Similarly, BBC Sessions rounds out the original with one previously unreleased performance: "Burning of the Midnight Lamp" from a 1967 episode of Top of the Pops. BBC Sessions will also include a DVD with some of Hendrix's BBC appearances, including his riotous take on Cream's "Sunshine of Your Love" on Happening For Lulu. The Live at Woodstock reissue will mirror MCA's 1999 release of Hendrix's legendary set concert on August 18th, 1969. Finally, Hendrix's one-off 1969 holiday EP Merry Christmas & Happy New Year — featuring a medley of "Little Drummer Boy," "Silent Night" and "Auld Lang Syne" with a b-side of "Three Little Bears" — will be reissued on CD and 7" picture vinyl.

As Rolling Stone previously reported, the Hendrix reissue project kicked off earlier this year with Valleys of Neptune , a collection of unreleased Hendrix music including the psychedelic title track. In addition to reissuing Are You Experienced?, Axis: Bold As Love and Electric Ladyland, the Hendrix Estate embraced the music gaming industry by releasing those three albums in their entirety as downloadable content through Rock Band . Seven "official concert bootlegs" and four albums filled with Hendrix studio demos were also finally released digitally last month.

I've already bought the BBC release, and the Woodstock release twice.

I wonder if the tracks mentioned in the first paragraph are going to what was released on some of those Dagger Records official bootleg releases.

• 4 weeks later...

I think you managed to combine the original groove and the Band Of Gypsys version there.

Thanks for listening! Yeah, we decided to speed it up a bit. Seems to really get people out on the dance floor. I totally winged the solo but it's not too bad. I do love me some Hendrix.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe they are putting out some of this stuff, but I guess they are.

West Coast Seattle Boy: The Jimi Hendrix Anthology

Disc 1

1. Isley Brothers - Testify (1964)

2. Don Covay & the Goodtimers - Mercy, Mercy (1964)

3. Don Covay & the Goodtimers - Can't Stay Away (1964)

4. Rosa Lee Brooks - My Diary (1965 - written by Arthur Lee)

5. Rosa Lee Brooks - Utee (1965)

6. Little Richard - I Don't Know What You Got But It's Got Me (1965)

7. Little Richard - Dancing All Around The World (1965)

8. Frank Howard & The Commanders - I'm So Glad (1966 - written by Billy Cox)

9. Isley Brothers - Move Over And Let Me Dance (1965)

10. Isley Brothers - Have You Ever Been Disappointed (1965)

11. Ray Sharpe - Help Me (Get The Feeling) (Part I) (1966)

12. The Icemen - (My Girl) She's A Fox (1966)

13. Jimmy Norman - That Little Old Groovemaker (1966)

14. Billy Lamont - Sweet Thang (1968)

15. King Curtis - Instant Groove (1969)

Disc 2

1. Fire (1967) - Previously Unreleased Alternate Recording

2. Are You Experienced (1967) - Previously Unreleased Recording

3. May This Be Love (1967) - Previously Unreleased Alternate Recording

4. Can You See Me (1967) - Previously Unreleased Alternate Recording

5. Love Or Confusion (1967) - Previously Unreleased Alternate Recording

6. Little One (1967) - Previously Unreleased Recording (featuring Dave Mason on sitar)

7. Mr. Bad Luck (1967) - Previously Unreleased Alternate Recording

8. Cat Talking To Me (1967) - Previously Unreleased Alternate Recording

9. Castles Made Of Sand (1967) - Previously Unreleased Recording

10. Tears Of Rage (1968) - Previously Unreleased Recording

11. Hear My Train A Comin' (1968) - Previously Unreleased Recording

12. 1983 (A Merman I Shall Turn To Be) (1968) - Previously Unreleased Recording

13. Long Hot Summer Night (1968) - Previously Unreleased Recording

14. My Friend (1968) - Previously Unreleased Recording

15. Angel (1968) - Previously Unreleased Recording

16. Calling All The Devil's Children (1968) - Previously Unreleased Recording

17. New Rising Sun (1968) - Previously Unreleased Alternate Recording

Disc 3

1. Hear My Freedom (1968) - Previously Unreleased Recording

2. Room Full Of Mirrors (1969) - Previously Unreleased Recording

3. Shame, Shame, Shame (1969) - Previously Unreleased Recording

4. Messenger (1968) - Previously Unreleased Recording

5. Hound Dog Blues (1969) - Previously Unreleased Recording

6. Untitled Basic Track (1968) - Previously Unreleased Recording

7. Star Spangled Banner (1969) - Previously Unreleased Original Mix

8. Purple Haze (1969) - Previously Unreleased Original Mix

9. Young/Hendrix (1969) - Previously Unreleased Alternate Recording

10. Mastermind (1969) - Previously Unreleased Recording

11. Message To Love (1969) - Previously Unreleased Alternate Recording

12. Fire (1969) - Previously Unreleased Recording

13. Foxey Lady (1969) - Previously Unreleased Recording

Disc 4

1. Stone Free (1969) - Previously Unreleased Recording

2. Burning Desire (1970) - Previously Unreleased Recording

3. Lonely Avenue (1969) - Previously Unreleased Recording

4. Everlasting First (1970) - Previously Unreleased Alternate Recording (featuring Arthur Lee)

5. Freedom (1970) - Previously Unreleased Recording

6. Peter Gunn/Catastrophe (1970) - Previously Unreleased Alternate Recording

7. In From The Storm (1970) - Previously Unreleased Alternate Recording

8. All God's Children (1970) - Previously Unreleased Recording

9. Red House (1970) - Previously Unreleased Recording

10. Play That Riff [Thank You] (1970) - Previously Unreleased Recording

11. Bolero (1970) - Previously Unreleased Alternate Recording

12. Hey Baby (New Rising Sun) - Previously Unreleased Alternate Recording

13. Suddenly November Morning (1970) - Previously Unreleased Recording

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

New Hendrix releases

Quartet of Releases Includes

4-Disc Winterland Box Set;

Hendrix In The West Expanded;

Blue Wild Angel: Jimi Hendrix Live At The Isle Of Wight Uncut on DVD

& Every Hendrix Appearance/Performance on The Dick Cavett Show

Available Everywhere Tuesday, September 13

OR should we say old releases with new stuff added on. Still, Hendrix In The West is a great live album. I have owned it since the early 1980s.

New Hendrix releases

OR should we say old releases with new stuff added on. Still, Hendrix In The West is a great live album. I have owned it since the early 1980s.

I know Hendrix in the West has "Sgt. Peppers" on it. Was that recorded the same weekend that album was released. I just remember McCartney saying how proud he was that they released an album on Friday and Hendrix covered a song like the next day.

I know Hendrix in the West has "Sgt. Peppers" on it. Was that recorded the same weekend that album was released. I just remember McCartney saying how proud he was that they released an album on Friday and Hendrix covered a song like the next day.

That the one. I'm wrong about that. The sound is really good on that album. Eddie Kramer worked on it.

Hendrix in the West was a posthumous live album by Jimi Hendrix, released in January 1972 by Polydor Records, and later in February by Reprise Records. The album contains songs from Hendrix's performances at the Royal Albert Hall on February, 24, 1969, the San Diego Sports Arena on May, 24, 1969, Berkeley Community Theatre on May 30, 1970 and the Isle of Wight Festival on August 30, 1970. The album's credits mislabel "Little Wing" and "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" as being recorded at the San Diego Sports Arena, when in fact these 2 tracks were recorded at the Royal Albert Hall on February 24, 1969.

There was a also a single cd release of the Winterland shows put out by Rykodisc in the late 1980s. I have that also.

• 2 weeks later...

This could be cool to own.

The complete collection of Jimi Hendrix's celebrated appearances on The Dick Cavett Show is now available on Legacy Recordings. The Dick Cavett Show marked Jimi's US network television debut and this special documentary, directed by multiple Grammy Award winner Bob Smeaton [beatles Anthology, Band Of Gypsys], features complete live performances of "Izabella", "Machine Gun", and "Hear My Train A Comin'" as well as new interviews with Cavett, Experience band members Mitch Mitchell and Billy Cox, and others. Jimi's own insightful interviews with Cavett touched upon a variety of personal and professional issues ranging from his stint as a US Army paratrooper to his celebrated rendition of the "Star Spangled Banner" at the Woodstock Festival. These conversations with Cavett helped reveal the humor, passion, and intelligence of the man behind such rock classics as Are You Experienced and Electric Ladyland.

This deluxe edition also includes a new, behind the scenes documentary. The Dick Cavett Show DVD runs 90 minutes total.

61D6bIUFnwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Amazon link

• 1 month later...

I'll probably get that, along with the other dvds I don't yet have - the Isle of Wight show, and the Band of Gypsys dvd.

I recently got the West Coast Seattle Boy boxset. I'd say it's pretty good so far. I see the family is going to let us have those Chas Chandler tapes a little bit at a time. I wonder how much his family got from the sale of the tapes?

It would be nice if they would some day put out all four of the Band of Gypsys shows.