The Jimi Hendrix Thread

The drum tracks  were not recorded on the live multi-tracks. I think they had a lot of problems with the recording of those shows.

The foam you see around the microphones (cut out of equipment/guitar cases) was put there in order to try and deal with the wind sound.

Chuck Wein (the director) started out working for Andy Warhol and supposedly discovered Edie Sedgwick.

Since the estate is now concentrating on live shows/films it would be cool if they were able to release a cleaned up version with bonus stuff.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I watched the documentary about Dr. Bronner's Soap,

http://magicsoapbox.com/

I noticed that there was footage of him at the enlightenment center (whatever it was called) - same one featured on Rainbow Bridge.  I wonder if the footage is from the Rainbow Bridge film, or an outtake of some sort. 

edit:  oops.  I guess youtube confirms this. 

What do you guys think of the Miami Pop release? I was so used to hearing the absolutely great Winterland shows from just five months later - which were augmented by special guests Virgil Gonzalez on flute and Herbie Rich on organ, among others - that I found myself strangely underwhelmed by Miami. After I got through the whole thing, I thought, Hmm, was the Winterland release that much better, or was I just not in the mood for Hendrix? So I put a few highlights from Winterland on an iTunes playlist and have been driving around with it. The audio quality may not be better, but the Winterland performances totally crush Miami. The flute and organ solos make the songs more interesting, and Hendrix is really on fire throughout. So if you're looking for live Hendrix, I'd say start with Winterland or the later Band of Gypsies material, if you prefer that era. The Miami show is really for completists, IMHO.

What do you guys think of the Miami Pop release? I was so used to hearing the absolutely great Winterland shows from just five months later - which were augmented by special guests Virgil Gonzalez on flute and Herbie Rich on organ, among others - that I found myself strangely underwhelmed by Miami. After I got through the whole thing, I thought, Hmm, was the Winterland release that much better, or was I just not in the mood for Hendrix? So I put a few highlights from Winterland on an iTunes playlist and have been driving around with it. The audio quality may not be better, but the Winterland performances totally crush Miami. The flute and organ solos make the songs more interesting, and Hendrix is really on fire throughout. So if you're looking for live Hendrix, I'd say start with Winterland or the later Band of Gypsies material, if you prefer that era. The Miami show is really for completists, IMHO.

It's not all that great. I agree. But - just like the crap studio stuff, they are going to put out all that they can - good or bad.

I've seen some silent film (from the Electric Ladyland sessions). There is probably a list out there somewhere of all the stuff that may be still unreleased. One collection that comes to mind is the Black Gold sessions. There are of course endless reels of him jamming in the studio (or so I have read). I have boot of some of that stuff.

Two great live tracks:

I Don't Live Today (The Sports Arena, San Diego, CA, May 24, 1969)

Are You Experienced? (Winterland, San Francisco, CA, October 10, 1968)

It is totally awesome. I recall hearing that album when it came out (The Jimi Hendrix Concerts' 1982).

I bought that within days of its release. A perfect record for me at that time in my life. As far as as posthumous compilation things go it's really quite good. I'm not a Hendrix completist so I can't say what is a 'definitive' version or anything, but most of those sides are very well done. Red House was the one I really love the most - it's just SO far beyond the studio version. Truly interstellar blues.

"I didn't say a damn thing about company, though".  :guitar

My great find of the day back then was Hendrix In The West (only on vinyl at the time). I found it in the chain record store where I use to buy records in the mall. This probably would have been around the same time (1982).

This was one of the things I was listening to the past few days. Other than the (of course) incredible original version, this has to be my favorite version of the song. Just great.

It's my favorite version.  Hendrix sound like a god proclaiming from the skies - and I still marvel at that guitar solo.

Yes, I think "The Jimi Hendrix Concerts" was the first Hendrix I bought when I was a young 'un.  Mostly all great performances (I'd say Hey Joe is marred by the radio interference, but otherwise good).

I go back and forth between Winterland and The Jimi Hendrix Concerts as to best Hey Joe.  Monterrey obviously is fresh and exciting, and Woodstock would have been better if he weren't so blind, but that song will always be Hendrix to me.  The solo is not what gets me--it's the amazing riffs during the verses in the live versions.  

• 7 months later...

I figured Janie would buy those tracks some day:

Jimi Hendrix's Early Recordings as a Sideman to Get Proper Release
Hendrix's recordings as a member of Curtis Knight and the Squires will be issued over next three years

July 17, 2014 5:40 PM ET

The rights to 88 studio recordings that Jimi Hendrix made between 1965 and 1967 during his stint with the R&B group Curtis Knight and the Squires now belong to his family's music company, Experience Hendrix LLC, and Sony Music's catalog division, Legacy Recordings. The buyout ends decades of litigation the Hendrix family had been entwined in with PPX Enterprises and Ed Chalpin, who had recorded the tracks, and means the recordings are now set for a proper release.

The masters include a live performance recorded in Hackensack, New Jersey in December 1965, as well as Curtis Knight and the Squires' recordings with Hendrix in 1967 after the Jimi Hendrix Experience's debut, Are You Experienced, came out. Legacy and Experience Hendrix plan on releasing properly mixed, mastered and annotated versions of these recordings in new editions under the direction of longtime Hendrix engineer Eddie Kramer over the next three years.

Prior to rising to fame, in a period that will be partially chronicled in the forthcoming biopic All Is by My Side, the guitarist had played as a sideman to artists like the Isley Brothers, Little Richard and Curtis Knight. Chalpin had signed Hendrix and Knight to a three-year recording contract for his company PPX, which created backing tracks for movies, paying him a meager $1 and a 1 percent royalty.

The contract proved challenging when Hendrix went out on his own. Hendrix's manager Chas Chandler was able to buy Hendrix out of every deal at the time with the exception of PPX. After Hendrix became a hit, the company issued a number of Curtis Knight recordings with covers that made it look as though Hendrix was the key member.

Hendrix was not a fan of these recordings. In February 1968, Capitol issued a record called Jimi Hendrix Plays, Curtis Knight Sings, which Rolling Stone called "an embarrassment" at the time. An A&R man for the label told RS at the time that "the record's selling well, and nobody is bitching but a few San Francisco types." One month later, British record label Decca attempted to put out a Curtis Knight record titled Got That Feeling, featuring Hendrix as the lead member of the group on the jacket, but its release was barred by the London High Court. Hendrix called the record "musically worthless...a confetti of tapes hastily thrown together."

Disputes over the contract stretched into the 21st century. In 2001, a High Court in the U.K. enforced a 1973 consent decree that limited Chalpin's rights to Hendrix's Curtis Knight recordings to 33 masters, and the next year a London High Court barred the company from releasing anything Hendrix played on. In 2003, Hendrix's brother, Leon (who does not work for Experience Hendrix LLC), planned on releasing the PPX tapes but a New York court upheld the British court's decision. Four years after that, Experience Hendrix LLC secured a nearly $1 million court order against Chalpin.

Just think of all the money spent on lawsuits over those tracks since the 1960s. I think I have some of those that I got on cassette back in the 1980s. 

Some of those songs (from that era) are on West Coast Seattle Boy: The Jimi Hendrix Anthology (2010). 

• 4 weeks later...

I was just listening to a live version of "Red House" yesterday from the Miami Pop Festival.  To your casual listener, it's just another blues guitar song.. But there's just something special about Jimmi's playing that no one could ever match.. The way he would bend notes and just his overall feel.. Nothing like it.. 

• 1 month later...