Jay Bennett interview from Glide

My favorite output from the band came during Bennett's involvement.

Yeah, the majority of the band's best songs are Tweedy/Bennett compositions. You'd think after seven years people could forgive the guy. The more I watch I am Trying to Break Your Heart the better I understand him. I think Jay is an extremely talented guy, who desperately wanted to make a great album and wanted his friends in the band to like him, unfortunately his communication skills aren't the greatest and a lot of jokes were either misunderstood or bombed. I still understand why they canned him, and I think we got an excellent album A Ghost is Born out of the post-Bennett years. But regardless of what you think of the guy, he is responsible for creating some of the best work in the band's catalog. I think we can lay off the poor guy.

--Mike

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the Wilco albums with Bennett. I've only heard snippets of what he's done since, and it didn't do anything for me. I have nothing against the guy. I thought he came off as a tool in IATTBYH, but lots of great artists are tools, and that movie clearly had a point of view in favor of Tweedy.

I love the scene in Man in the Sand when Bennett jokes about a feud between Bragg & Tweedy, almost foreshadowing.

Oh. My. God. This picture.

It is totally beyond me how anyone who is sort of in the public eye can have their picture taken like that - unless they just don't want to be taken seriously :ninja?

Still, my favorite Wilco output does also include JB (although I think that A Ghost Is Born is better, just ST is my alltime favorite), and I liked Jay's solo stuff too (not all of it, but a lot), and I too am looking forward to his new record.

I don't understand why he gets so much shit from people who should at least acknowledge his participation in making Wilco one of the greatest bands on earth. And even if it was entirely his fault that things went wrong (just assuming here that people might have come to that conclusion) - his contributions to Wilco's music were significant at some point.

The lessons of this thread:

1) Having watched a five year-old 90-minute documentary film about a band that he used to be in, we all know Jay Bennett well enough to formulate legitimate opinions on the nature of his character, why he was booted from Wilco, and whether he deserved such treatment.

2) Jay Bennett, in spite of having written or co-written some of the best songs ever recorded by the band we come here to read about, elicits an almost Pavlovian response from many of his critics.

3) If Jay Bennett references his own career in an article, it's narcissistic; when Jeff Tweedy does it, it's probably really witty.

Annnnnd so on. Christ, people, cut the man a break. He's a good musician deserving of a wider audience, and there's no need to harp on him because of his perceived character defects.

(In all fairness, however, that MySpace picture at the head of this article is fucking ridiculous.)

Guest Speed Racer
(In all fairness, however, that MySpace picture at the head of this article is fucking ridiculous.)

Your signature, in fact, could serve as a good caption for that photo.

I don't like Jay Bennett's voice, and I don't like the way he overdubs/overplays things to infinity. It worked for Summerteeth/YHF, but he overplayed a lot live and I can't see AGIB being what it was if Bennett had been on board (which I think a lot of people agree with for better (my case) or for worse).

That being said, what gives me the heebie-jeebies about this article/IATTBYH/the GloNo interview from a few years back is the mania/grandiosity/histrionic thinking that I get from them (again, not to say it's true, just the feeling I get). Having known several people with bipolar disorder and a few recovering addicts/alcoholics, I hear him say things in these interviews that just crawls under my skin.

If I liked his music better I wouldn't give a flying fart how he sounded in interviews - heaven knows I listen to the music of many persons with the aforementioned characteristics - but that on top of not being a fan of his solo career just really doesn't do it for me. His talents are like the door of the fridge: butter, eggs and condiments that make a meal great/new/better/complete, but aren't a meal on their own.

Edit: SHORTER VERSION!!! Jay Bennett's solo career reminds me of when Michael Jordan started playing baseball!!!! Dude, no!

The lessons of this thread:

1) Having watched a five year-old 90-minute documentary film about a band that he used to be in, we all know Jay Bennett well enough to formulate legitimate opinions on the nature of his character, why he was booted from Wilco, and whether he deserved such treatment.

2) Jay Bennett, in spite of having written or co-written some of the best songs ever recorded by the band we come here to read about, elicits an almost Pavlovian response from many of his critics.

3) If Jay Bennett references his own career in an article, it's narcissistic; when Jeff Tweedy does it, it's probably really witty.

Annnnnd so on. Christ, people, cut the man a break. He's a good musician deserving of a wider audience, and there's no need to harp on him because of his perceived character defects.

Did you learn nothing about humor (AstroGlide Magazine) and anal sex from this thread?