A lot of people don't bother about their friends in the VEGETABLE KINGDOM. They think, "Ah, what can I say? What can a person like myself say to a vegetable?" But the answer is simple, my friends . . . just call . . . and tell them how you feel . . . about MUFFINS, PUMPKINS, WAX PAPER, CALEDONIA, MAHOGANIES, ELBOWS AND GREEN THINGS IN GENERAL . . . and soon: A NEW RAPPORT! You and your new little green & yellow buddies . . . grooving together! OH NO! Maintaining your coolness together! Worshipping together in the church of your choice! ONLY IN AMERICA! Woh-oh-oh-ah-agh-h . .
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if Zappa would have reworked "When the Lie's So Big" for Sarah Palin.

They got lies so big

They don't make a noise

They tell 'em so well

Like a secret disease

That makes you go numb

With a big ol' lie

And a flag and a pie

And a mom and a bible

Most folks are just liable

To buy any line

Any place, any time

When the lie's so big

As in Sarah Palin's case,

(That sinister face

Behind all the Jesus hurrah)

Could result in the end

To a worrisome trend

In which every American

Not "born again"

Could be punished in cruel and unusual ways

By this treacherous cretin

Who tells everyone

That she's Jesus' best friend

When the lies get so big

And the fog gets so thick

And the facts disappear

The Republican Trick

Can be played out again

People, please tell me when

We'll be rid of these men!

(And women, too)

Just who do they really

Suppose that they are?

And how do they manage to travel as far

As they seem to have come?

Were we really that dumb?

People, wake up

Figure it out

Religious fanatics

Around and about

The Court House, The State House,

The Congress, The White House

Criminal saints

With a "Heavenly Mission" --

A nation enraptured

By pure superstition

Do you believe in the Invisible Army?

(Yes, indeed!)

When the lie's so big

And the fog so thick

And the facts kept forgotten

Then the Republican Trick

Can be played out again

People, please tell me when

We'll be rid of these men

And women!

There's a little plastic Congress

There's a NATION you can buy

There's a doll that looks like Mommy

She'll do everything but cry

There's a doll that looks like Daddy

He's a funny little man

Push a button and ask for money

There's a dollar in his hand!

(check his wallet)

I still think this is one of the most brillant albums of rock music ever put on vinyl. Unequivocably my favorite FZ record. It's obscene at times without being overtly 'vulgar'. The sickness and perversion the satire describes is not so profanely worded that it couldn't be played on the radio. In fact, one of my first exposures to FZ was when I was just a kid and I heard "Brown Shoes" (along with "Yellow Snow" which was current at the time) on the Dr. Demento show.

Dr. D also loved "Who Are The Brain Police?". And who doesn't? :lol

• 3 weeks later...
Early Zappa Albums Due In Expanded Editions

October 21, 2008 , 2:00 PM ET

Gary Graff, Detroit

The Zappa Family Trust will kick off a comprehensive campaign to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the late Frank Zappa's albums next month. "Lumpy Money," a three-CD "audio documentary" due out Nov. 25, is the first offering in the series -- and, according to Zappa's widow Gail, the most unique.

"These two records happen to be Frank's masterworks," Zappa tells Billboard.com, "so this is the most ambitious of all the (40th anniversary) projects. The challenge is how to educate the audience to understand what 'Lumpy Gravy' and 'We're Only in It for the Money' are, and what they're part of.

"So in this particular case we have to be more about the process than the outtakes. You're going to be listening to how Frank worked, all the little developments of these pieces as opposed to just an outtake or another performance of that particular piece. You're going to hear how he got there from here."

The "Lumpy Money" package will feature two separate mixes of each album, done by Frank himself. It will include feature the first official release of the instrumental, Igor Stravinsky-influenced orchestral "ballet" version of "Lumpy Gravy" that Zappa recorded in 1967 for Capitol Records but decided to revamp, adding rock musicians and eventually releasing it on MGM/Verve four months after "We're Only in it For the Money" in 1968. Gail Zappa says a "sister" project will be released shortly after "Lumpy Money" that will contain more music from those sessions.

Other releases in the series will be treated "more as individual albums," drawing material from the Sequin Mines vault underneath the Zappa family home. A new version of "Cruising with Ruben and the Jets," Frank Zappa's third 1968 release, is also being prepared, while the Zappa Family Trust is working on other projects such as a vintage live album from the Roxy in Los Angeles and a set of Zappa's renditions of the compositions French composer Edgar Varese.

"With the 40th anniversary projects, it's not as much about 'Can we make a date?' as 'Can we make it? Do we have vault material we can put together for these?'" Gail Zappa explains. "That's something we have to do if these are going to be worth anything to people."

"It will include feature the first official release of the instrumental, Igor Stravinsky-influenced orchestral "ballet" version of "Lumpy Gravy" that Zappa recorded in 1967 for Capitol Records but decided to revamp, adding rock musicians and eventually releasing it on MGM/Verve four months after "We're Only in it For the Money" in 1968."

That sounds great.

I'm not sure why, but I always thought Lumpy Gravy came out before We're Only In It For the Money.

So do any of you Suzie Creamcheeses have any opinion over the original mix vs Zappa's mid-80s re-do of WOIIFTM (as released by Ryko - which was doubled up with Lumpy Gravy on CD?)

I've been aware of the complaints of the re-do, but had never had the chance to hear the original until recently. I gotta say that I much prefer the re-do. The bass is inaudible on the original mix, and Jimmy Carl Black's (the Indian of the group) drumming leaves much to be desired. I know that Vinnie Colaiuta redid the drum parts, but who was on bass? Patrick O'Hearn? Plus, on the re-do you get the retro-fitted My Sharona reference in Hey Punk.

So do any of you Suzie Creamcheeses have any opinion over the original mix vs Zappa's mid-80s re-do of WOIIFTM (as released by Ryko - which was doubled up with Lumpy Gravy on CD?)

I've been aware of the complaints of the re-do, but had never had the chance to hear the original until recently. I gotta say that I much prefer the re-do. The bass is inaudible on the original mix, and Jimmy Carl Black's (the Indian of the group) drumming leaves much to be desired. I know that Vinnie Colaiuta redid the drum parts, but who was on bass? Patrick O'Hearn? Plus, on the re-do you get the retro-fitted My Sharona reference in Hey Punk.

I prefer the original. But then, I really only care for the original Zappa/Mothers releases. The later stuff may have been made by better musicians, but the music generally leaves me cold.

I have read he also did this as a means to get over on paying them - much like Ozzy did with his first two solo albums. Of course, the most often cited reason was that the master tapes were dust.

I prefer the original. But then, I really only care for the original Zappa/Mothers releases. The later stuff may have been made by better musicians, but the music generally leaves me cold.

I have read he also did this as a means to get over on paying them - much like Ozzy did with his first two solo albums. Of course, the most often cited reason was that the master tapes were dust.

I could see him doing that for the payment reasons. I've never read a flattering review of his personality...

My favorite era is the Ruth Underwood / George Duke band. I can't wait for the full Roxy show to be released.

I pretty much like all of the output from the '70s. I'm not really big on the early Mothers stuff and so can't really comment on the differences between the two versions of WOIIFTM. Studio albums definitely started to sound sterile in the '80s, but there was still some great music written during that time and the live performances were still great. I still think Make A Jazz Noise Here and The Best Band You Never heard In Your Life are fantastic, though the best of the two could have probably been combined for one kickass double live CD.

"200 Motels" is on Turner Classic tonight, very very late.

I've never got over the way that record was re-done. After being weaned on the LP (which wore out of course) I eagerly snapped up the Lumpy/Money 2-fer when it came out. Although the 'noise' pieces (Nasal Retentive Calliope Music, Chrome Plated Megaphone Of Destiny) sound excellent the rest of the album is missing the psychedelic vibe that is so crucial to the record for many (mostly satirical) reasons. The LP has this in spades - Flower Punk is a good example. The difference in the tune CD vs. LP is pretty drastic.

• 2 weeks later...
RIP Jimmy Carl Black

http://www.jimmycarlblack.com/

:ohwell

RIP Jimmy Carl Black

http://www.jimmycarlblack.com/

Goodbye, Lonesome Cowboy Burt - you were very much loved on planet Earth, and points beyond.

Jimmy was legendary for his almost unnatural fondness for beer, so everybody crack one open for the man. :cheers

I just found out about JCB on Saturday at the annual Zappaween show by Bogus Pomp, which featured the legendary Ike Willis on lead vocals and guitar. He said Jimmy was like a big brother to him, and they dedicated the second half of the show to him. Fantastic show, by the way: about 3 & 1/2 hours of FZ music.

Sorry, just saw this today. I'd never actually seen Ike before, so I didn't have a frame of reference. I'd say he was having a great time up there, but to be honest, he looks like he should spend a little less time "Cruisin' for Burgers" and a little more time meeting up with some friends in the vegetable kingdom. :lol