Free Springsteen Show 10/4/08

Springsteen Adds Obama Gigs, 'Heroes' Benefit

October 02, 2008 , 1:45 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Having already announced an Oct. 16 benefit for Barack Obama's presidential campaign with Billy Joel in New York, Bruce Springsteen is taking his activism to the next level.

The artist will play acoustic sets at three Obama/voter registration rallies in the coming days as the Oct. 6 deadline for voter registration looms. First up is an open-air rally Oct. 4 in Philadelphia, followed by a show the next day on the Ohio State campus in Columbus, Ohio.

On Monday, Springsteen will visit Eastern Michigan University in Ypsilanti, Mich. For ticket information, visit Obama's Web site or Backstreets.com.

In related news, the Boss and wife/bandmate Patti Scialfa have signed on to perform Nov. 5 at New York's Town Hall as part of the Stand Up for Heroes benefit. Proceeds from the event, which is part of the New York Comedy Festival, will be donated to the Bob Woodruff Family Foundation, which aids wounded soldiers transitioning to civilian life.

LIVE from the Bruce Springsteen Obama Concert - Philadelphia, PA

Thank goodness for global warming - here in Philadelphia it is more than 75 degrees on this October day.

We are here with thousands of Obama supporters as we listen to Amos Lee and other performers before the Boss comes on stage.

The campaign took over a part of Ben Franklin Parkway and built a soundstage in the heart of the city.

This swing state is now swinging strongly for Obama - but nothing can be taken for granted. Although recent polls put Obama up by 7-9 points here in PA, there is still time for that gap to narrow.

PA Gov Ed Rendell addresses the crowd - "As long as I am up here I promise NOT to wink at you" - the crowd goes wild.

-- Bruce is now on stage - the audience is hushed.

Today he is playing acoustic from his album "Nebraska." He is channeling Bob Dylan with songs of struggles of life.

"I'm no hero, it's understood...but with the chance of making good"

"Come take my hand as we walk to the promised land".

Bruce pauses his performance to address the audience:

"I have spent my life measuring the distance beteeen the American Dream and the American Reality"

"Barak Obama has taken that measure as well. Never has the gap between the Dream and Reality been greater.

"What we need now is an American Reclamation Project. Bush and Cheney leave office (applause) leaving us Iraq, Katrina and the financial mess.

"Around the world, we remain the repository of people's dreams. A thousand George Bushes and dick Cheneys cannot tear that house down.

"I want my house back, I want my country back. I want my America back."

The crowd cheers.

Thank you Bruce for reminding us of what is important in life and how important this election is for "making good" in this great nation.

Today he is playing acoustic from his album "Nebraska." He is channeling Bob Dylan with songs of struggles of life.

Perhaps the reporter hasn't listened to Nebraska for a while. Set list:

The Promised Land

The Ghost of Tom Joad

Thunder Road

No Surrender

Does This Bus Stop at 82nd Street

The Rising

This Land is Your Land

yeah, that's lame

analogman?

who was the reviewer? where was that taken from?

I forgot to add the link. I think we have to remember that most people don't know the sort of information we readily know - someone in the crowd probably told the guy that it was Nebraska.

Huffington Post

Link to above post.

There is more up now - with video.

setlist for Columbus:

The Promised Land

The Ghost of Tom Joad

Thunder Road

Youngstown

No Surrender

The Rising

This Land is Your Land

Very subdued affair, I'm pretty sure I was the only one going ballistic when he started Thunder Road...

That's cool. I couldn't make it down to campus yesterday, but it sounds cool. How was the turnout?

That's cool. I couldn't make it down to campus yesterday, but it sounds cool. How was the turnout?

The turnout was pretty good, filled probably 3/5 to 2/3 of the Oval. Sadly, I think most people were there because it was an Obama rally, rather than a Bruce Springsteen performance. I mean, there's so many Obama rallies but only so little chances to see Bruce Springsteen...right?

• 2 weeks later...
Springsteen, Joel Rock For Obama In New York

October 17, 2008 , 11:00 AM ET

It was "Born to Run" meets "New York State of Mind" -- with a little bit of "Hail to the Chief" thrown in for good measure, as Bruce Springsteen and Billy Joel joined forces in a concert to raise money for Barack Obama's presidential campaign and the Democratic Party last night (Oct. 16) at New York's Hammerstein Ballroom.

They got a little help from India.Arie, John Legend and Springsteen's wife, Patti Scialfa, as they tore through the rock legends' long list of hits. When they launched into "Born to Run," Springsteen said, "This is for the senator."

As the show concluded, Obama made an appearance onstage. He called the event "a magical evening" and said he wouldn't ruin it with a long speech. Then he delivered a speech comparing the struggling, everyday people in Joel's and Springsteen's songs to the people he's met on the campaign trail.

He warned supporters not to get overconfident because he leads in the polls. "Don't underestimate the capacity of Democrats to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Don't underestimate our ability to screw it up," Obama said. "I want everybody running scared."

Obama also offered a new explanation for his decision to seek the White House. "I was sitting offstage with (his wife) Michelle, and I ... said, 'Honey, the reason I'm running for president is I can't be Bruce Springsteen. I can't be Billy Joel,'" Obama said.

Springsteen and Joel focused more on music than politics, alternating between each other's songs and clearly having fun.

Springsteen hugged Joel during "Spirit in the Night," then ended up laying across the piano as he sang. Joel left the piano and picked up a guitar for "Glory Days." They even stuck a bit of the Beatles' "Hard Day's Night" into the middle of Joel's song "River of Dreams."

When Springsteen suggested they slow things down a bit, Joel began banging out a playful version of "Hail to the Chief" in honor of Obama's presidential hopes.

The cheap seats at the "Change Rocks" concert were $500. Big spenders could shell out $25,000 each.

Springsteen's song "The Rising" has become an unofficial anthem for Obama's campaign, often playing when Obama bounds onstage at his rallies.

A-man...do you not see the irony of posting of a fund raiser show where "The cheap seats ...were $500. Big spenders could shell out $25,000 each" in a thread titled Free Springsteen Show 10/4/08?

Sometimes you are so hidebound about this thread stuff that hiliarity ensues.