New Andrew Bird LP

I think the album is extremely solid and look forward to seeing it live. Masterswarm is up there with some of his best to my ears.

yeah, I think this is becoming one of my favourite AB albums. I thought AA was good, but not great. I've been listening to Noble Beast in my car now for about 2 weeks straight. Masterswarm, Effigy, Tenuousness, Nomenclature, Anonanimal, Natural Disaster, Souverian are all amazing tracks to me and I can't get this album out of my head.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, I think this is becoming one of my favourite AB albums. I thought AA was good, but not great. I've been listening to Noble Beast in my car now for about 2 weeks straight. Masterswarm, Effigy, Tenuousness, Nomenclature, Anonanimal, Natural Disaster, Souverian are all amazing tracks to me and I can't get this album out of my head.

Agree. AA just didn't stick to my ribs, for some reason. This one does.

Total BS. It doesn't need a thumb hole, it needs a millimeter larger cover so that the inserts and CD sleeves can slide out without ripping the fucking cover. Someone was simply not thinking.....

When they write about the demise of the CD this kind of crap will be part of the reason.

LouieB

Well, in my case they solved the problem by including just one CD in the "Deluxe" package. And, yeah, at $23 I certain I ordered the deluxe. (Amazon promises to make good.)

The local Best Buy pissed me off (I had a 10% off coupon for that week only) for saying they had the Sp Ed, but they finally got it in and had it filed incorrectly - under "Andrew" instead of by "Bird."

It is a nice package. Very hard to get the CD's out, but the package is durable enough not to tear or anything though you have to stretch/pull it pretty hard.

Something about his last two albums - Eggs and Armchair - I couldn't quite connect with - like I've mentioned before probably his vocals seemed detatched from the recordings almost as if he's more interested in the arrangements/instrumentation - but I like this one from the get go.

Useless Creatures is pretty cool and shows he could do well with film scoring.

I also thought it was neat he recorded that with Glen Kotche of Wilco and at The Loft.

That makes Malkmus, Bird and Richard Swift recording there in the last year or two. I wonder who else has been there?

Ok the more reviews I read it is either "this is a masterpiece" or "this is convoluted crap", and personally, I don't know if anyone else can agree I really think this album is just pure genius. It is so intricate and every time I listen to it I am just amazed out how it all fits together, just plain plain awesome and easily my favorite record this year, by a lot actually.

I also thought it was neat he recorded that with Glen Kotche of Wilco and at The Loft.

That makes Malkmus, Bird and Richard Swift recording there in the last year or two. I wonder who else has been there?

Not sure when Ian Hunter was there but probably in the last 2 years.

Ok the more reviews I read it is either "this is a masterpiece" or "this is convoluted crap", and personally, I don't know if anyone else can agree I really think this album is just pure genius. It is so intricate and every time I listen to it I am just amazed out how it all fits together, just plain plain awesome and easily my favorite record this year, by a lot actually.

Yeah I agree. I still like Eggs better, but I'm glad this one was step back towards more intricate compositions. I felt like AA, while certainly catchy, sacrificed a lot of the dynamics and harmonic mechanisms I so love Bird for.

• 2 months later...