New Andrew Bird LP

So out of curiosity, how do you all rank the studio AB albums? Mine would go thusly:

1. Mysterious Production of Eggs

2. Noble Beast

3. Armchair Apocrypha

4. Swimming Hour

5. Soldier On EP

6. Weather Systems

7. Oh! The Graandeur

I don't have Music of Hair or Thrills.

pretty early to rank Noble Beast, but for now i'd put it on par w/ Weather Systems

2. Armchair Apocrypha

3. Weather Systems

4. Noble Beast

5. Swimming Hour

6. Thrills

7. Oh! The Graandeur

8. Music of Hair

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pretty early to rank Noble Beast, but for now i'd put it on par w/ Weather Systems

2. Armchair Apocrypha

3. Weather Systems

4. Noble Beast

5. Swimming Hour

6. Thrills

7. Oh! The Graandeur

8. Music of Hair

I always thought you liked Armchairs over Eggs.

I always thought you liked Armchairs over Eggs.

it's awfully close... i think it might be a better all around record, but after revisiting them both a few times this past summer i found myself preferring Eggs again. i think Armchairs is a more cohesive and consistent record, but the highs on Eggs are a bit higher for me.

i'd argue the first 3-4 are all very very close

mucca pazza accompanied him from the audence tonight at the hideout for a music video shoot (the premise apparently also involved him shooting a flaming arrow off the roof of the venue)... anyway amazing show, ill definitely carry this album with me for a long time after tonights experience.

Listening through it, it gives off the vibe much more akin to his swingier stuff from Bowl of Fire (I believe?), just with a stranger instrumentation and lyrics. I like it quite a bit, but I can see how it kinda rubs people weird. It's also much more...muted, I suppose? Not a bad thing, but if you don't have headphones on or are paying attention, you miss a bit of stuff and it seems trivial.

Really? No love for Noble Creatures? I really like it. It doesn't compete with Armchair in my view but I think it's really solid. I'll be looking for the EP this evening...and totally agree on the cover art.

nooooooo i like it a lot, i just dont' love it as much as i'd hoped...

at this point i'd prolly say...

Weather Systems 8.5

Mysterious Production of Eggs 9.1

Armchair Apocrypha 8.9

Noble Beasts 8.5

it's production is just a bit TOO slick for my liking, and the compositions feel very calculated & meticulous... which might be why i love Useless Creatures so much, since it feels very improvisational.

NB also doesn't quite have the huge melodies/hooks that Eggs & Amrchair had either.