New Andrew Bird LP

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even Pitchfork will see the greatness - predictions on this album? 8.0+

hard to say... they've not been too fair to Andrew in the past besides Swimming Hour (which they gave a 9)... so i guess it just depends if Joe Tangari likes it more than Armchairs or not. if not, it'll get a 7.x

i really really hope Joe reviews it again, only makes sense for him to imo

Yes! Thanks Kyle for the head's up. I got 2 in row D for the Chicago show as well. I skipped seeing him last year, so I don't mind so much the extra bucks for the nice location and reserved seats etc.

Wendy, I got two in row D as well! :) I haven't seen Bird since he opened for Wilco in Milwaukee in Fall '07 (can that be right?). And I don't think $35 is terribly outrageous for this show; the Civic Opera House is a gorgeous setting, and the acoustics are fantastic. I remember seeing Bj

dunno who's gonna open the second half of the tour, but Ra Ra Riot are opening in Brooklyn and Loney, Dear are opening a good chunk of the first half of the tour... both great acts, so consider that in the $$ ;)

the bonus disc is awesome. i really dig the record though. it's one of those you really have to pay attention to and let it sink in.

I haven't heard the bonus disc yet (I don't know where you folks find these things), but I agree with you on the proper album. Much more mature and challenging than most of AA. But I think I come at AB from a different place than most. I hear a lot of people say Dark Matter was the best song on AA and it is by far my least favorite.

I haven't heard the bonus disc yet (I don't know where you folks find these things), but I agree with you on the proper album. Much more mature and challenging than most of AA. But I think I come at AB from a different place than most. I hear a lot of people say Dark Matter was the best song on AA and it is by far my least favorite.

yeah, i think Cataracts is the best song on that record.

you can google Useless Creatures, and various file extensions and you should be able to find it. :)

OK, so as someone who is first listening to AB from this release I have to say I'm digging it a lot. Knowing nothing about the guy except that he played a bunch of shows with Wilco, I'm picking up a big Radiohead-vibe on this disc. Am I wrong on that?

It's making me want to seek out his older material. What should I start with? Does all his stuff sound similar or is each album different ala-Wilco? Thanks.

OK, so as someone who is first listening to AB from this release I have to say I'm digging it a lot. Knowing nothing about the guy except that he played a bunch of shows with Wilco, I'm picking up a big Radiohead-vibe on this disc. Am I wrong on that?

It's making me want to seek out his older material. What should I start with? Does all his stuff sound similar or is each album different ala-Wilco? Thanks.

He's always been very talented but has definitely evolved further in his last 4-5 albums. You'll see a difference of opinion on this board but I think Armchair Aprochrypa is my favorite. Mysterious Production of Eggs and Weather Systems are typically in the conversation as well.

This might just be crazy enough to be true, but... maybe it's just not your thing?

Well, I like a lot of various musics, so I can't say what's my thing or not. I'm basically just interested in any music. I saw a lot of enthusiasm on this thread so it got me interested. I discovered Mr Bird with Weather Systems when it was out some years ago and kinda liked it. On the other hand I never was able to get into The Mysterious Production of Eggs, which is the only other LP of the man I've listened to.

Well, fwiw, I don't care much for Radiohead but Andrew is one of my favorite artists.

Anonanimal does remind me of Radiohead somewhat, but that's about the only track that does.

i'd argue that any Radiohead influence/comparisons should be attributed to Dosh, who was doing that sort of thing long long before RH ever picked up a sampler ;)

Well, fwiw, I don't care much for Radiohead but Andrew is one of my favorite artists.

Anonanimal does remind me of Radiohead somewhat, but that's about the only track that does.

i'd argue that any Radiohead influence/comparisons should be attributed to Dosh, who was doing that sort of thing long long before RH ever picked up a sampler ;)

I was actually thinking from the vocal side of things. And also how the songs have very deceptive melodies.

I was actually thinking from the vocal side of things. And also how the songs have very deceptive melodies.

ah... weird. can't say i've ever found any similarities between Andrew & Thom's voice (and for me that's a good thing :lol) *shrug* ;)

Haven't listened to it yet, but I received the Deluxe pre-order in the mail today. This has to be one of the most beautiful albums I have ever seen. Simply stunning. What a great surprise to come home to on a Monday afternoon.

I just started listening to Andrew about a year ago and the only album I'm 100% in love with is The Mysterious Production of Eggs. At least I know the new one was worth it for the artwork alone. :thumbup