New Andrew Bird LP

Haven't listened to it yet, but I received the Deluxe pre-order in the mail today. This has to be one of the most beautiful albums I have ever seen. Simply stunning. What a great surprise to come home to on a Monday afternoon.

I just started listening to Andrew about a year ago and the only album I'm 100% in love with is The Mysterious Production of Eggs. At least I know the new one was worth it for the artwork alone. :thumbup

I received mine today too. As noted above: stunning. Awesome.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really wanted to buy this until i saw it was 27 bucks at my local indie store. When i hear "bonus disc", I generally think "free". Most new double albums aren't even that expensive.

I really wanted to buy this until i saw it was 27 bucks at my local indie store. When i hear "bonus disc", I generally think "free". Most new double albums aren't even that expensive.

oof... it was that much in stores?

i'm not gonna buy the deluxe unless i can get it for $20 or less... sorry Andrew

I thought the release date was tomorrow?? Anyway I got a copy too. I was just a bit surprised, but I guess Andrew needs to pay Todd and Glenn for their work on the extra disk.

Actually the extra disk is the only one I have listened to so far, because despite the really attractive packaging, the actual disk sleeve was stuck in the packaging so badly, that I tore the cover a bit trying to get it out when I wanted to listen to it in the car. I had to come home and get some tweezers to finally get the main disk out. I am excited to listen to it however when the time comes. I just think it is even tacker that with the extra few dollars they couldn't have made a package to accomodate both disks, the liner notes and some additional graphics, without the risk of tearing the shit out of the really attractive art work. I guess that the record company is more interested in the aesthetics than the mechanics.

The extra disk is interesting, but with the exception of Carrion Suite, it is mostly doodling around with very little obvious Glenn. None the less Andrews doodling is better than some folks entire albums so it is all good with me.

LouieB

It may not be a bad idea to drop Fat Possum a line and tell them that. Their customer service is really good, even though it's hard to find an email address on their site (the customer service guy's name is Patrick, if I remember correctly). I had a problem with another CD I ordered from them last month, and they sent me a replacement copy the next day.

My copy of Live in Montreal arrived from Fat Possum yesterday. I figured they'd just wait to ship it with the new album, so it was a pleasant surprise. They marked on my invoice that the deluxe edition ships January 15th.

How is this album? Also, how did you get it already? I was just looking on the Fat Possum website and it says "Coming Soon in 2009" for Live in Montreal, with no option to buy or pre-order?

Really wish there was a Useless Creatures option in the LP. I would have happily paid for a Limited Ed LP. Kinda torn now.... the 2 disc or records?? Love me some Bird on vinyl.

It may not be a bad idea to drop Fat Possum a line and tell them that. Their customer service is really good, even though it's hard to find an email address on their site (the customer service guy's name is Patrick, if I remember correctly). I had a problem with another CD I ordered from them last month, and they sent me a replacement copy the next day.

Yesterday I was ready to do that because I was pretty pissed. Now that the cover is not too badly damaged and I got the actual disk out it seems like just one more thing I should do. Yea, okay...I will.

LouieB

I finally picked up the mail I got while I was out of town, and this album was in the stack. The packaging is lovely, and thankfully I didn't have any problem getting either of the discs out, but I'm glad I put both into iTunes right away, because they were both hard to get back in and probably won't be as easy to get out next time.

watchtower, that's weird that the website is showing that Live In Montreal isn't out yet, because it came out last year. Truthfully, I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet, since I've been out of town for a few weeks, but I'll let you know how it is when I listen to it, which will probably be in the next few days.

I too ended up with a slight tear of the packaging. I just had to keep taking the CD's out to admire the art.

Very nice album. This one is certainly going to take some extending listening before it really sinks in. I can't name any standout tracks, but as a whole the record is quite pleasant to listen to.

7.5 on Pitchfork this morning:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/reco...ird-noble-beast

gotta say i agree w/ Joe's review and always love reading his reviews of Andrew's records.

that score is lower than both Armchair (7.8) and Mysterious Production of Eggs (8.3), which i'd agree with the order somewhat, but probably a full point lower than i'd score them all ;)

I too tore the deluxe covers trying to get the CDs out. Contacted Fat Possum and got this reply:

I'm very sorry about this happening, if we could of,we would of put a warning in the packaging. This was definietly talked about. There were talks about having a thumb hole curve in the packaging for easier accessability but Andrew's designer thought it would disrupt the flow of the artwork.

I too tore the deluxe covers trying to get the CDs out. Contacted Fat Possum and got this reply:

I'm very sorry about this happening, if we could of,we would of put a warning in the packaging. This was definietly talked about. There were talks about having a thumb hole curve in the packaging for easier accessability but Andrew's designer thought it would disrupt the flow of the artwork.

Total BS. It doesn't need a thumb hole, it needs a millimeter larger cover so that the inserts and CD sleeves can slide out without ripping the fucking cover. Someone was simply not thinking.....

When they write about the demise of the CD this kind of crap will be part of the reason.

LouieB

How is this album? Also, how did you get it already? I was just looking on the Fat Possum website and it says "Coming Soon in 2009" for Live in Montreal, with no option to buy or pre-order?

This is excellent, and well worth the $10 + shipping. It's a very good recording of a very good performance. My only complaint is that I wanted it to be longer!

Also, I agree with Lou. The thumb hole might've been helpful, but a slightly bigger outer sleeve would've easily solved all the problems, too. If they thought about including a warning, that should've been a clue to them that the packaging wasn't very well-designed. These problems could've been easily avoided.