Isn't it time for a new election thread?!

The media keeps going on about the "Bradley effect", I think they should be making up a name for all the republicans that will secretly vote for Obama. :shifty

The Parker/Buckley effect.

I "secretly" voted for Kerry in '04. It was a hard decision. Despite what a lot of people think about the "Swiftboaters" they were not as dishonest or misguided as often portrayed. One of the leaders (John O'Neill if you care to google or wikipedia him) was my brother's boss at the time. I spoke with him personally and read his book. The man voted for Edwards in the 2004 Texas primary. Yes, they took money from conservatives who wanted Kerry to lose at any cost. But if you do your research, I think you'd find that the Swiftboaters have not been proven wrong on any of their facts. Some of their suppositions and inferences are certainly debatable. But at the core of this group were people who believed that Kerry was not an honorable solider and shouldn't have been commander-in-chief.

Having said all of that, I voted for the man because I think Bush had done such a horrible job managing the war in Iraq, controlling federal spending, and a variety of other reasons.

Still undecided about this year. If McCain had nominated anyone but Palin, my choice would've been made a long time ago to vote for him.

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt I will ever vote for a Republican, at least in the foreseeable future. I have voted for third party candidates in local elections several times, but voted Democratic in the two Presidential elections that I've voted in. I would vote for a third party candidate in a Presidential election under certain circumstances.

The republican party deserted me. If anything, I am more of a fiscal conservative appalled by the social republicans that now basically dominate the base. Also, I was downright dead against Bush II becoming president because his intellect was clearly outmatched by the job (and this has been borne out). I am less afraid of McCain under the same criteria -- I think he would not be disasterous. However, Palin scares the crap out of me and I hope she doesn't get re-elected for governor, or anything above dog-catcher.

At the same time that the republican party deserted me, I grew more and more sure that democrats best represented my beliefs, and this is why I have voted democratic in most races for 20 years now.

In IL, Rod Blagojevic is the democratic governor and he is so corrupt and just an ass. I would have voted republican (Topinka) except that I wanted a dem governor to help the democratic presidental nominee here. Now I wish I had.

Seriously? No bullshit, trying to rile me, etc.? You can't imagine a scenario where the candidate that supports your ideology is so distasteful to you in integrity and/or similar factors that you realize that the 'other' candidate is better for the country and therefore more deserving of your vote other than one where you are 'promised riches and lots of sex'?

edit> sorry for the run on quasi-sentence.

That would be kind of hard, since politicians by definition, are 'distasteful to me in integrity.'

That would be kind of hard, since politicians by definition, are 'distasteful to me in integrity.'

Ha ha! Touche'.

i can't say that Obama will make a good President (yet), but i can honestly say that I know exactly what we'd get from a McCain Presidency...

I see what you are saying to some degree.

But, Obama is not an unknown person. Look at all of the choices he has made in his life, then look at how he has run the campaign against HC, and now McCain. McCain ran a really weird and eratic campaign against Bush, and now Obama. He's never really got a handle on things.

I don't think there's anything wrong with saying you probably wouldn't vote for a particular party. Sure, candidates differ, but it is perfectly reasonable to reject a party's platform. Of course it's good to never say never -- it's perfectly possible that the Republican party's platform could change drastically and that they'll actually nominate some uncorrupt intelligent candidates. But basing it on today's Republican party, which is controlled by the neocons and the Religious right, and with empty vessels like George W. Bush and Sarah Palin among the party leaders, it's just really hard for me to picture it happening any time soon.

maybe it needs to be clarified, but i'd never consider myself a democrat... i'm way more left than they could ever be :lol

Me too! When I mention I want hemp and pot legalized I'm usually labled a nut. Funny thing is, I don't even smoke pot. :shifty

I even have people freak out when I say I only drink milk straight from my in-law's cows. That's over the top to even some really strong dems. I haven't given myself the dem title yet. I love Kucinich, Ron Paul, Feingold, Biden,Obama...and UFO's.

I find statements regarding McCain's predictability to be erroneous. I was somewhat taken with him as a mediocre/decent republican candidate (I was pro Obama before he started running). Seemed novel to have a moderate republican who is fiscally conservative, but not a nut-job wacko on social issues. (I thought that's what republicans were supposed to be anyways)

Since he took the national stage as a runner McCain has changed his face many times. He used to steer clear of abortion issues, now he's nominated an extreme pro-Lifer. He was anti-regulation, now it's his favorite song. I don't think anyone can know what he'll do, he's been too inconsistent.

Look at CNN's home page right now www.cnn.com

Does that picture of Obama look much darker than normal? It almost makes him look Egyptian.

This?

t1home.obm.mca.wed.02.ap.jpg

I think it's just the contrast against the man who has the complexion of a window.

And, I think this country needs some serious work on moving away from the 2-party system!

Amen to that. I'm glad someone else sees through all the partisan rhetoric and can see that the 2-party system is doing more harm than good.

I think it's just the contrast against the man who has the complexion of a window.

:lol

that, and i'm helping get this thread to 1,000 so a new one can be started.

Amen to that. I'm glad someone else sees through all the partisan rhetoric and can see that the 2-party system is doing more harm than good.

I am one of the few I know, that actually watched the Green Party's National Convention. It made me laugh. :stunned

I vote Obama over Baldwin, Palin, McKinney, Nader, and Barr...but would love to see them all debate in one room.

So you don't understand how people can agree with a conservative mindset and not be nuts?

Of course I do. I'm not sure anyone is saying having different ideas about what is right for the country is nuts (and I object to the use of that word no matter what in this discussion). For me, (and not to put words in anyone's mouth) it seems hard to fathom how anyone could NOT be appalled by the campaign McCain has run. I had a LOT of respect for McCain and when he won the primary, I thought "I could be happy with either candidate." Those days are done and I have a hard time seeing how anyone could look at how quickly he sold out his well-earned respect, integrity and character and NOT be completely turned off, no matter your view of what is best for the tax code.

I didn't realize there was a party line on pasteurization...

?

Republicans tend to be the party that works against small farming, organic farming, alternative healing, vaccination choice..etc. Ya know, hippey stuff. Animal rights-McCain/Palin score very low. They lean towards corporate factory farming. Not that dems don't have a part in this as well. But Biden and Obama have a nice record on this, and have been endorsed by the Humane Society Of the United States.

In many states you can be jailed for raw milk production.

Anyone see Frontline last night? Well done (of course) wrap-up of these two candidates' campaigns/past lives to this point.

Shiznit, I was looking forward to that!