M Ward - Hold Time

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also am enjoying "oh lonesome me" .... I've never heard the original Don Gibson
Oh Lonesome Me was a big hit, which is why it is still covered on a regular basis. The original is quite a bit faster than Neil's version.

I was thinking about this the other day. It is sad that a good recording artist like M. Ward probably won't be remembered in years to come since radio plays so little music that is any good. Don Gibson's song is still played because this was a huge hit single for him, even though he is no longer famous. (You can still hear this song on occasion on an oldies station.) M. Ward won't have that same opportunity, sadly, since radio play is not a factor in his fame (if you can even call him famous....I suppose She and Him got some radio play....some....)

LouieB

Oh Lonesome Me was a big hit, which is why it is still covered on a regular basis. The original is quite a bit faster than Neil's version.

I was thinking about this the other day. It is sad that a good recording artist like M. Ward probably won't be remembered in years to come since radio plays so little music that is any good. Don Gibson's song is still played because this was a huge hit single for him, even though he is no longer famous. (You can still hear this song on occasion on an oldies station.) M. Ward won't have that same opportunity, sadly, since radio play is not a factor in his fame (if you can even call him famous....I suppose She and Him got some radio play....some....)

LouieB

i think the idea that modern radio still shapes who will be remembered in years to come is antiquated.

and m ward will be remembered by me as having the best body of work from 2000-2010 of any singer/songwriter.

i think the idea that modern radio still shapes who will be remembered in years to come is antiquated.

and m ward will be remembered by me as having the best body of work from 2000-2010 of any singer/songwriter.

Antiquated perhaps, but wouldn't you like to hear your favorite recording artists on commercial radio? I know I would. Rather than playing all the dreck it would be nice to hear M. Ward (or any number of other folks) on the radio.

LouieB

Antiquated perhaps, but wouldn't you like to hear your favorite recording artists on commercial radio? I know I would. Rather than playing all the dreck it would be nice to hear M. Ward (or any number of other folks) on the radio.

LouieB

i understand the sentiment. i just do not listen to radio. at all.

if i did, i would want to hear m. ward, no doubt.

to me, M. Ward is unlike any other musician out there. there are a lot of bands that sound similar or are doing the same things. M Ward is in his own area. I like his use of Analog Delay in his vocals, guitar, i like the reverb and use of Bigsby bar in his guitar playing, definitely influenced by surf/rockabilly sound but yet he writes folk tunes. I like his unique voice, that definitely separates him from other artists.

yeah, he recreates the 'sound' of the 50's/early 60's mostly.

he's not really done anything psychadelic has he?

i guess the closest is using Mellotron on some tracks which in my mind ties to late 60's.

• 1 month later...

I've had this album for a few months now and I just can't seem to love it like all the previous records. It does have a few great tracks but there just seems to be something missing. I love M. Ward and 'Transistor Radio' is arguably my favourite album ever, but 'Hold Time' just doesn't have the same magic. Anyone else feel the same?

I have tickets for his show in Manchester (U.K) at the end of June which should be great.

I see what you guys are saying about it being a bit "samey" and that's definitely a fair critique. But on balance I personally prefer it to Post-War (his other album I am most familiar with). "For Beginners" is one of my favorite tracks of all time.