M Ward - Hold Time

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, what a spectacular achievement. I don't know if I'll be stoned for saying this or not, but this is easily the best thing Ward has ever recorded. And as for the Lucinda haters... ah, hell, I'll be nice. But seriously, grow some taste, guys.

nah... it very well may be his best record to date, only time will tell for me. the dude has yet to make a truly BAD album in my book, but he clearly has only been improving his craft with every record, no doubt. the only one i didn't find better than the one before it was Transistor Radio, which was still an amazing record, i just still prefer Vincent by a small margin.

this is a very logical extension from the last 2 records and i love the shit out of it. it has definitely set the bar on the year for me, not surprisingly.

as for Lu... i love her, but her voice is fairly abrasive up against Matt's silky smooth voice... so i can easily understand the complaints about it. if i had to predict, i'll say it will be a pretty big sticking point in most any review of the record, whether or not the writer likes her contribution or not, it does stick out like a sore thumb, for better or worse.

while i'd miss seeing him in small venues for cheap (had a good 8 year run tho :lol), i really hope this is the album that brings him a much bigger fanbase, because he deserves it more than anyone. She & Him certainly didn't hurt his profile either...

I found it pretty boring personally, if by classic you mean "sounds virtually the same as the past two records" then I guess so.

Hate to say it, but I have to agree. I finally woke up around "Epistemology". Great tune.

I like what he does, generally speaking, but I think you could place any of these tracks on any of his records. I just don't see any growth.

I liked Lucinda's contribution, though. I think Matt has a fairly throaty/gravelly voice at times, so I think they're a good match.

"Outro" is very pretty, too.

Hate to say it, but I have to agree. I finally woke up around "Epistemology". Great tune.

fwiw, Kalle was only talking about one song, 'Stars of Leo' ;)

i can definitely say this may be my favorite album of his lyrically already, there's a lot of gems here

as far as growth... i guess... but having followed him from End of Amnesia until now, i hear plenty of growth over his 6 records myself... even from the last 2 albums. no he's not re-inventing the wheel and it definitely sounds like an M. Ward album, but the transition is fairly has been very natural feeling to me.

that said, great music is great music imo, not every artist needs to "grow" or re-invent themselves either, there's only a handful of artists/bands that have been truly succesful at it. nevermind the fact that Matt is still pretty damn young by most standards... if he'd been at this for say 15-20 years at this point, i might agree with you moreso, idk. all i know is that he continues to blow me away and has easily solidified himself as my favorite solo artist of the '00's bar none, and that's all that matters to me :thumbup

what i would like to see some day is an all instrumental record from Matt, and maybe a loud/twangy guitar shredding record sometime, he's def capable of both.

fwiw, Kalle was only talking about one song, 'Stars of Leo' ;)

Ah, you're right. Well, the same sentiment applies to the record generally, IMO.

I like M. Ward. Heck, I'd say I like him a lot. But at this point I'm thinking, do I really need another M. Ward record? I'm not sure I do. I feel like I've already heard all he has to offer.

I do think artists need to grow and to reinvent themselves. Yes, that means there will be hits and misses, but I think artists need to challenge themselves as much as we listeners need to be challenged.

honestly... take a good listen to his first album again, Duet for Guitars #2, then listen to this one... sure his styles and voice is similiar, but the records sound worlds apart honestly... so i guess i just don't buy that myself. the layering and orchestration has only gotten better over the last 3 records.

as far as challenging... i guess.. for some artists i feel that way (Neil Young, David Bowie, etc.), but some are just best when they stick within their means and do it well (Bruce, Matt, etc.). to me just seems like if you limit yourself to loving only artists who grow/re-invent themselves, that's a pretty small bunch when you consider the grand scheme of things. i find Matt's work plenty challenging honestly. it's not like it's straight up pop music or anything. i'd take it over tribal drums and whaling whiney vocals over it any day. i just think Matt's music is kind of out of time... he'd have fit in much better in the 40's & 50's.

p.s. Save Me might be the best song Matt has ever recorded... period. the layering on that song is immense. the hidden 12 string, the castanets, etc.

that and Fisher of Men are easily my faves

Guest Hollinger.

I have just downloaded the new Matt Ward album. I am now going to listen to the new Matt Ward album. I will keep you guys updated about my status as pertains to the new Matt Ward album.

all i know is that he continues to blow me away and has easily solidified himself as my favorite solo artist of the '00's bar none, and that's all that matters to me :thumbup

what i would like to see some day is an all instrumental record from Matt, and maybe a loud/twangy guitar shredding record sometime, he's def capable of both.

:worship Absolutely!

....and just for the record, Hold Time sounds like it will be his best release yet. I Love It :worship

Can anybody hook a brother up with a PM? This Hold Time you speak of isn't showing up at any of my usual haunts.

Ok so one listen in and my first impression of "Stars Of Leo" certainly doesn't reflect the albums so far, the first three tunes are catchy as all heck, and I absolutely love the lyrics on the first one and the rest are no slouches either. Don't get my first comment wrong I absolutely love Matt but to my first impression (and still sort of I guess) of Stars Of Leo, I was hearing a lot of the same old structure sound etc. Nonetheless I think we have another album to add to the Andrew Bird and Animal Collective categories for this year.

Nonetheless I think we have another album to add to the Andrew Bird and Animal Collective categories for this year.

:yes

:thumbup

The opening of "Never Had Anybody like You" reminds me of Steely Dan's "Reelin' in the Years."

yeah... the Beatles Revolution meets RITY

honestly... take a good listen to his first album again, Duet for Guitars #2, then listen to this one... sure his styles and voice is similiar, but the records sound worlds apart honestly... so i guess i just don't buy that myself. the layering and orchestration has only gotten better over the last 3 records.

as far as challenging... i guess.. for some artists i feel that way (Neil Young, David Bowie, etc.), but some are just best when they stick within their means and do it well (Bruce, Matt, etc.). to me just seems like if you limit yourself to loving only artists who grow/re-invent themselves, that's a pretty small bunch when you consider the grand scheme of things. i find Matt's work plenty challenging honestly. it's not like it's straight up pop music or anything. i'd take it over tribal drums and whaling whiney vocals over it any day. i just think Matt's music is kind of out of time... he'd have fit in much better in the 40's & 50's.

p.s. Save Me might be the best song Matt has ever recorded... period. the layering on that song is immense. the hidden 12 string, the castanets, etc.

that and Fisher of Men are easily my faves

Okay, so based on your recommendation, I listened to Duet for Guitars #2 this morning, and followed it up with the new record.

I liked Hold Time better than I did on first listen. But I have to say I kind of prefer Duet. While it lacks polish, I think the rawness of the recording really works with the bare-bones song structure.

*shrug* I dunno. I can appreciate the production on Hold Time, but that doesn't mean I like the record, if that makes any sense. To me, it sounds like the same old M. Ward song structure, just gussied up.

And this is admittedly a quibble, but I don't think any artist would willingly admit that they don't seek to grow or change. I like to think that most artists are constantly trying to refine and hone their craft. And maybe M. Ward is doing that, but just on the production side of things.

Anyway, I've given this enough thought for one day! I'll have to agree to disagree. And besides, I have some Andy Bird to listen to... ;)

well, the thing is... there's refinments and changes going on in an artists music all the time... but only a select few artists/groups have managed to make HUGE changes over their career and be successful at it throughout is all. (Beatles, Bowie, Neil Young, etc.). and then there's artists who certainly have taken a few risks throughout their career (ie: Bruce Springsteen), but at the end of the day, still very much sound like they did 30 years ago in some aspects...

just curious, had you never heard Duet for Guitars before today? i can understand preferring it, or liking it's rawness (even if i disagree).

i just think songwriting wise, Matt has just kept on improving with his arrangements, lyrics, and singing with every record. i can't see how anyone who feels that way and is a huge fan of any artist would honestly complain that much, just because it maybe doesn't have a theremin or some digierdoo on it or something... sometimes i see the argument about "challenging music" as a cop out honestly. there's SO much challenging music that is just pure shit too. i mean i can accept A Ghost Is Born for what it is, and for them trying, but doesn't mean it's still not my second least fave Wilco record either.

like i said, if what he was doing wasn't working so well, then i could see the need to throw us a huge curveball, but i personally prefer the minor tweaking to drastic shifts in sound from one album to the next, just personal preference.

i never said any artists would willingly admit they don't seek change, i'm saying me personally i don't require that to enjoy or consider an artist great.

appreciate you giving it a fair listen tho :thumbup

well, the thing is... there's refinments and changes going on in an artists music all the time... but only a select few artists/groups have managed to make HUGE changes over their career and be successful at it throughout is all. (Beatles, Bowie, Neil Young, etc.). and then there's artists who certainly have taken a few risks throughout their career (ie: Bruce Springsteen), but at the end of the day, still very much sound like they did 30 years ago in some aspects...

just curious, had you never heard Duet for Guitars before today? i can understand preferring it, or liking it's rawness (even if i disagree).

i just think songwriting wise, Matt has just kept on improving with his arrangements, lyrics, and singing with every record. i can't see how anyone who feels that way and is a huge fan of any artist would honestly complain that much, just because it maybe doesn't have a theremin or some digierdoo on it or something... sometimes i see the argument about "challenging music" as a cop out honestly. there's SO much challenging music that is just pure shit too. i mean i can accept A Ghost Is Born for what it is, and for them trying, but doesn't mean it's still not my second least fave Wilco record either.

like i said, if what he was doing wasn't working so well, then i could see the need to throw us a huge curveball, but i personally prefer the minor tweaking to drastic shifts in sound from one album to the next, just personal preference.

i never said any artists would willingly admit they don't seek change, i'm saying me personally i don't require that to enjoy or consider an artist great.

appreciate you giving it a fair listen tho :thumbup

Well, that's the thing, I guess...I'm not necessarily looking for an artist to make HUGE changes either. And certainly those who do make huge changes aren't always successful. But when I hear a new record from an artist I like, I don't want to feel like I already own that record, or its equivalent. And that's just the feeling I get here. Yes, there are some tweaks in the production, and yes, there are a couple standout songs, but overall, it sounds like more of the same. I would make the same argument for Cardinology. It's a good record, but it doesn't cover any new ground sonically; IMO, that can be the difference between a good record and a great record. I've found that in my experience, the records I've grown to like best are often the records that I didn't like much on first listen; Furr is a good example of that, hell, even Evil Urges to some extent.

(oh, also - definitely not my first listen on Duet for Guitars. I got it on the reissue, so first heard it in 2007 or thereabouts?)

I don't listen to particularly "out there" music, so it's not like I was really hoping Matt was going to feature Tuvan throat singers on this record. ;) It's hard to explain what I feel this record is lacking. It's like, let's say Matt invited me over to see his new house. And it's a great house, but it looks a whole lot like his old house. Except maybe he painted the kitchen, and put a cool tile mosaic backsplash behind the sink. Which is great, and it looks fantastic, but...basically, same house. Ya dig?

The Wilco comparison is a good one, because I feel like Wilco are a band who are constantly trying new things and expanding their musical horizons, to varying degrees of success. But even when they scale back and simplify ala Sky Blue Sky, I never get the feeling they've stopped trying. Which isn't exactly the feeling I get from Hold Time, but it's close. I agree that Matt's lyric writing, arrangements, and singing style have improved over the years, but I guess I just wish he had been slightly more ambitious with this record.

I guess the bottom line is that when I listen to a record, I always like to be surprised, just a little bit. That's probably why I enjoyed the Lucinda cameo as much as I did.

Anyway. I think I've said enough. Enjoy the record! I'll be looking forward to Monsters of Folk... :D