M Ward - Hold Time

Is M. Ward really religious our just sort of really enjoys the imagery and the story lines like Tweedy does sometimes? Though not to say Tweedy isn't religious (yeah I know let's not get into that again lol).

i'm guessing the latter...

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't saying I was bothered I was saying there is a greater focus. From some reason the album has gone missing on my computer but.....

For Beginners, Fisher of Men, To Save Me, Epistemology, Shangra La

I've definitely caught the religious comments before I just felt they were more subtle (not saying this is good or bad), was just curious on all of your thoughts.

Wow, I just found the lyrics to all the songs. Add Jailbird & One Hundred Million Years, too. The more I listen to this, the more I like it!

I'm really starting to see the beauty of Blake's View. His delivery is especially good on that one and I've always respected his ability to blend hope and warmth when writing about the coldness of death.

huh, i've never even really noticed the religious lyrics before. weird.

the funny thing is I hadn't either. My girlfriend was talking to a friend of ours and he was joking the matt was a jesus freak (he was joking). I began to think and couldn't think of any lyrics that were more then religious in passing, but then i pop hold time in and right off the bat we are on Mount. Zion :stunned

I am probably the only one here (and solace knew this was coming), that just doesn't "get" M. Ward. I appreciate his musicanship, and his lyrics are good too, but his voice is like nails on a chalk board to me. He has this breathy, trying too hard not to sound like he is trying too hard, quality that drives me up a wall. I want to grab him and shove a lozenge down his throat.

According to my brother, "well that is to bad for you."

I am probably the only one here (and solace knew this was coming), that just doesn't "get" M. Ward. I appreciate his musicanship, and his lyrics are good too, but his voice is like nails on a chalk board to me. He has this breathy, trying too hard not to sound like he is trying too hard, quality that drives me up a wall. I want to grab him and shove a lozenge down his throat.

According to my brother, "well that is to bad for you."

just curious, do you like Louis Armstrong?

just curious, do you like Louis Armstrong?

I know what you are getting at, the gravelly voice. Armstrong has an authentic quality to his voice, as does Tom Waits. Whereas Ward's voice doesn't seem authentic to me. It is breathy wispery and as I said before sounds like he is trying to make it that way. Now that may or not be the case, but it is what is sounds like to me.

I know what you are getting at, the gravelly voice. Armstrong has an authentic quality to his voice, as does Tom Waits. Whereas Ward's voice doesn't seem authentic to me. It is breathy wispery and as I said before sounds like he is trying to make it that way. Now that may or not be the case, but it is what is sounds like to me.

oh it's totally the case. speak to him in person and you'll hear exactly where his froggy singing voice comes from. so if by me guaranteeing you that his voice is 100% grade A Authentic... does that help you? ;).

but i mentioned Louis because Matt's voice has always reminded me of Louis from time to time.

personally he's one of my favorite singers of the last decade. i realize he's not for everyone, but his voice, much like Neko Case, etc. is timeless. would have fit in the 40's/50's easily.

oh it's totally the case. speak to him in person and you'll hear exactly where his froggy singing voice comes from. so if by me guaranteeing you that his voice is 100% grade A Authentic... does that help you? ;).

I have heard that, I know some people who actually worked with him before he became famous, and have said the same thing. Maybe I just need to meet him.

I have heard that, I know some people who actually worked with him before he became famous, and have said the same thing. Maybe I just need to meet him.

he's famous???? :stunned

dude's entire catalog has probably not even cracked the 150,000 mark :lol

he's famous???? :stunned

dude's entire catalog has probably not even cracked the 150,000 mark :lol

By famous I mean he makes his living making music. He is no longer an office drone.

solace, he is not the singer at the local coffee shop you go see on a friday night.

I mean hell there is a nine page thread about him and his new album on a forum that is about him. That to me means he is famous.

If Pitchfork doesn't give 'Hold Time' at least an 8.5.....i am going to have to whup somebodys ass in the head.

I'll even go one further - I'll personally take their precious little Robyn, and their hip hop messiah Lil Wayne hostage until they give Matt the credit he deserves.

Seriously, what a cd.

I'm not even sure one single song on it's own is particularly amazing, but as a whole, as a single work of art? Wow.

I love all of M Ward's other cd's. But this one seems perfect to me.

It makes me want to buy the best record player money can buy.

By famous I mean he makes his living making music. He is no longer an office drone.

solace, he is not the singer at the local coffee shop you go see on a friday night.

I mean hell there is a nine page thread about him and his new album on a forum that is about him. That to me means he is famous.

fine... he's more famous than you or I, i'll give you that :pirate

If Pitchfork doesn't give 'Hold Time' at least an 8.5.....i am going to have to whup somebodys ass in the head.

I'll even go one further - I'll personally take their precious little Robyn, and their hip hop messiah Lil Wayne hostage until they give Matt the credit he deserves.

Seriously, what a cd.

I'm not even sure one single song on it's own is particularly amazing, but as a whole, as a single work of art? Wow.

I love all of M Ward's other cd's. But this one seems perfect to me.

It makes me want to buy the best record player money can buy.

:rotfl

:worship

i'll join you

Mr. Ward's voice bothered me when I first heard him - so much so that I waited a couple years before I finally bought one of his albums. I thought he was another sappy singer-songwriter with an acoustic guitar and a hushed, warbling voice. I was wrong.

I finally bought Post-War about a month ago and now I can't stop listening to the guy.

I tend to start out with an unfair, uninformed bias against the artists that eventually become my favorites. (It took me 8 years to finally give Wilco a fair chance).

I tend to start out with an unfair, uninformed bias against the artists that eventually become my favorites. (It took me 8 years to finally give Wilco a fair chance).

Ugh - still can't take those guys. "She's a jar, with a heavy lid." Whatever, dude.

Mr. Ward's voice bothered me when I first heard him - so much so that I waited a couple years before I finally bought one of his albums. I thought he was another sappy singer-songwriter with an acoustic guitar and a hushed, warbling voice. I was wrong.

I finally bought Post-War about a month ago and now I can't stop listening to the guy.

Post-War was my first M Ward album and I immediately noticed how peaceful the vocals were. Most singers I know get worse over time, but not this guy. I think his vocal quality has improved with each album. He's just a great overall musical artist and I'm glad I discovered him. :)

Post-War was my first M Ward album and I immediately noticed how peaceful the vocals were. Most singers I know get worse over time, but not this guy. I think his vocal quality has improved with each album. He's just a great overall musical artist and I'm glad I discovered him. :)

Agreed and - whassup Boston!

Loving Hold-Time, it's a great album. It's slightly more "polished" than his previous albums though, it feels as thought he's taken some time and effort to craft a full bloodied record.

Not sure that makes sense, but it's what I feel when I hear it :)

Loving Hold-Time, it's a great album. It's slightly more "polished" than his previous albums though, it feels as thought he's taken some time and effort to craft a full bloodied record.

Not sure that makes sense, but it's what I feel when I hear it :)

hmm... other than there's a bit more layering and it has Mogis' usual production tricks, it doesn't sound any more "polished" than Post-War for me, idk