M Ward - Hold Time

yes, i have both.

you can still get Transistor easily far as i'm aware (as w/ most Merge stuff), but End of Amnesia is being re-issued on vinyl next mont

as far as Pfork's review... whatever, fuck them anyway, we all know that. Matt's music isn't hip or cool or the next big thing. he doesn't sing in a nasally whine or have tribal drums, etc., of course they're always going to underrate music like his.

some points of the review are decent, but many are just nitpicking for the sake of. if you take the album out of the context of the rest of his catalog, is it great? you bet. and sometimes that's all that really matters to me.

the worst part about that 6.8, is that She & Him got a 7.4, now that's just FUCKED. no way on god's green earth is that album as good as ANY of Matt's records, specifically this one. i dig it, but come on...

I agree. If this cd was released from some kid no one heard of from the Village, Pfork would be hyping this like crazy. Or they would completely ignore it.

Either way, Pitchfork always seems to get bored of artists who have already released a couple of cds, and they can no longer manipulate hype for, lol.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish that assessment of Pitchfork were true, because at least then there'd be some consistency to that website's drivel. I deleted my bookmark years ago due to their capricious reviewers, fickle superficiality and meandering write-ups, but I wander back every so often to check out something like this. It was worth it just to see some shiftless asshole dismissing a song as gorgeous as Jailbird without actually commenting on it. Heh.

looks like i'll have to hit up Omaha. have wanted to see a show at Slowdown for a while anyway:

March

15 Dallas TX Dallas Museum of Art - Horchow Auditorium

April

17 Indio CA Coachella

18 Tucson AZ Rialto Theatre

19 Tempe AZ Marquee Theatre

20 Albuquerque NM Sunshine Theatre

22 Tulsa AZ Cain's Ballroom

23 Omaha NE Slowdown

24 Milwaukee WI Pabst Theatre

25 Minneapolis MN First Avenue

26 Chicago IL Vic Theatre

May

15 Visalia CA Fox Theater

16 Oakland CA Fox Theater

17 Davis CA Freeborn Hall

18 Chico CA Senator Theatre

22 Eugene OR McDonald Theatre

23 George WA Sasquatch Music Festival

yes, i have both.

you can still get Transistor easily far as i'm aware (as w/ most Merge stuff), but End of Amnesia is being re-issued on vinyl next mont

as far as Pfork's review... whatever, fuck them anyway, we all know that. Matt's music isn't hip or cool or the next big thing. he doesn't sing in a nasally whine or have tribal drums, etc., of course they're always going to underrate music like his.

some points of the review are decent, but many are just nitpicking for the sake of. if you take the album out of the context of the rest of his catalog, is it great? you bet. and sometimes that's all that really matters to me.

the worst part about that 6.8, is that She & Him got a 7.4, now that's just FUCKED. no way on god's green earth is that album as good as ANY of Matt's records, specifically this one. i dig it, but come on...

What's the proper role of the critic? To just like what you like.

What's the proper role of the critic? To just like what you like.

well, the issue w/ Pitchfork is, the reviewer doesn't assign the score... so the score is often very disconnected from the actual review as a result... knowing Marc Hogan's previous tastes and reviews, i wouldn't doubt his own personal score would have been quite a bit higher.

but whatever, their score/review is irrelevant to my enjoyment anyhow ;)

well, the issue w/ Pitchfork is, the reviewer doesn't assign the score... so the score is often very disconnected from the actual review as a result... knowing Marc Hogan's previous tastes and reviews, i wouldn't doubt his own personal score would have been quite a bit higher.

but whatever, their score/review is irrelevant to my enjoyment anyhow ;)

I guess that's my main point. Either way (great review or bad one), it's just one more reason to discuss any album you like. And the bad ones just make it more fun to do so.

By the way, as someone who enjoyed Post-War immensely but was bored by Transistor Radio (and She & Him), how would Hold Time stack up?

y'know... i think you'll like this one a lot. of those 3, Transistor is my least favorite by far too. i'd put this one on par with Post-War. time will tell if i like it more... but at the moment:

Transfiguration of Vincent (maybe not his best, but it's my favorite and the one that got me into him): 8.9

Post-War: 9.1

Hold Time: 8.7

End of Amnesia: 8.3

Transistor Radio: 8.1

Duet for Guitars #2: 7.7

there's a really great sunny feeling about this new one that just sits well with me at the moment

y'know... looking at past reviews from them, they've been pretty kind to Matt over the years (8.2 for both Post-War and Transistor, and 8.3 for Transfig), but i feel this is way closer to those albums. it's the lowest rating they've gave any of his albums other than the To Go Home EP, which their review was total shit/pointless.

looks like i'll have to hit up Omaha. have wanted to see a show at Slowdown for a while anyway:

March

15 Dallas TX Dallas Museum of Art - Horchow Auditorium

April

17 Indio CA Coachella

18 Tucson AZ Rialto Theatre

19 Tempe AZ Marquee Theatre

20 Albuquerque NM Sunshine Theatre

22 Tulsa AZ Cain's Ballroom

23 Omaha NE Slowdown

24 Milwaukee WI Pabst Theatre

25 Minneapolis MN First Avenue

26 Chicago IL Vic Theatre

May

15 Visalia CA Fox Theater

16 Oakland CA Fox Theater

17 Davis CA Freeborn Hall

18 Chico CA Senator Theatre

22 Eugene OR McDonald Theatre

23 George WA Sasquatch Music Festival

Dammit! No one is coming to Detroit anymore.

y'know... i think you'll like this one a lot. of those 3, Transistor is my least favorite by far too. i'd put this one on par with Post-War. time will tell if i like it more... but at the moment:

Transfiguration of Vincent (maybe not his best, but it's my favorite and the one that got me into him): 8.9

Post-War: 9.1

Hold Time: 8.7

End of Amnesia: 8.3

Transistor Radio: 8.1

Duet for Guitars #2: 7.7

there's a really great sunny feeling about this new one that just sits well with me at the moment

Thanks! I think it's supposed to hit emusic today, so I'll grab that and the new Jason Isbell.

If you ordered the Hold Time vinyl, you're going to be pretty happy. I just got mine today. Along with the digital download, there was a hand-signed poster and a button. The album art is just beautiful -- it's not the butterfly version but instead, it is the green on green mountain version. Merge did a great job of packaging this.

Got mine today and it is indeed beautiful. However, my poster was not signed. :ohwell

Very much worth the $20.00 though.

Edit: Did not get my Jason Isbell pre-order today. If I still had some downloads left on emusic this month I'd probably get the mp3's to hold me over, but not luck there either.

y'know... looking at past reviews from them, they've been pretty kind to Matt over the years (8.2 for both Post-War and Transistor, and 8.3 for Transfig), but i feel this is way closer to those albums. it's the lowest rating they've gave any of his albums other than the To Go Home EP, which their review was total shit/pointless.

That's my point too.

pfork sometimes seem like they just get bored with some bands after several cd's.

However it could be just my own tastes that conflict with their reviews.

For example, was 'Evil Urges' REALLY that bad? I don't think so....

yup... oh noes, he's hanging around with starlets and getting popular, therefore we can't promote that.

i mean some cases the popularity = decrease in musical quality sort of works (see Death Cab), but not in this case imo, he's only been improving every time.

hell, same with Wilco (even if i agree w/ them somewhat on AGIB)

Thanks! I think it's supposed to hit emusic today, so I'll grab that and the new Jason Isbell.

I did that, too, and have been listening to both all night. The ears are happy.

I agree. If this cd was released from some kid no one heard of from the Village, Pfork would be hyping this like crazy. Or they would completely ignore it.

Either way, Pitchfork always seems to get bored of artists who have already released a couple of cds, and they can no longer manipulate hype for, lol.

I feel this way too.

When a new Beck CD comes out, even if he isn't deviating from some prior type of music he's already done, it's still above most dreck you hear (or insert another artist that was quite acclaimed sometime if Beck is not for you).

I'm streaming Hold Time on NPR - the full stream is still up - and man, I really dig it.

If you took away Matt's voice at times, sonically it reminds me of Summer Teeth and Sea Change; i.e., acoustic guitars combined with synth strings/mellotron sounds, etc.

What's the story on the signed vinyl - who did you buy it through?

good stuff on Letterman.

Did you catch him ask if M. Ward knew everyone in the band? It did kind of look like he rounded up some people from the street (specifically the backup singers).

I feel this way too.

When a new Beck CD comes out, even if he isn't deviating from some prior type of music he's already done, it's still above most dreck you hear (or insert another artist that was quite acclaimed sometime if Beck is not for you).

I'm streaming Hold Time on NPR - the full stream is still up - and man, I really dig it.

If you took away Matt's voice at times, sonically it reminds me of Summer Teeth and Sea Change; i.e., acoustic guitars combined with synth strings/mellotron sounds, etc.

What's the story on the signed vinyl - who did you buy it through?

I bought this from the Merge website as a pre-order and chose the $0 shipping option. I received my vinyl copy with the signed poster last Saturday. With most pre-orders, I've found that the lowest shipping choice often gets you the items by release date or just a day or two after. Being late isn't usually a problem since many of us have the music before the release date anyway.