It's time for a New Election Thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I benefit more personally from McCain's plan.

Edit: What exactly is the "Top 5%"?

I benfit more too by about $400, but I lose in the long run because of reasosn stated before.

In 2007 data the top 5% is somewhere between 150K & 200K.

Top 1.5% is over 250,000 which is actually where I meant to hit for my comments.

In all honesty I seriously doubt anyone on this baord is a top 5% person, though I have been wrong before. To me on the financial end of things, this is peopel voting against their best personal interests. Though I did see a study once where somethign like 20+% of the peopl in the US felt that they were in the top 5%. Maybe that is it.

also spot on.

so many people in America truly believe their financial status is way higher than it actually is, or vote with the ideaology that "maybe someday i *WILL* be in the top 5%, and these tax policies will benefit me (nevermind the fact that they rarely help them at the time)". when the sad reality is, the % of those folks who will ever reach the top 5% is incredibly minimal and only gets worse as we go along...

Let me lay out what McCain has shown us he wishes to do. I can very much see the fiscally conservative having a wise stance on government, but this is not it:

Continue Bush Tax cuts and aggressive military presence abroad (i.e. the origin of our historic deficit).

Bail out Wall Street.

Extend individual bailouts for mortgages that will cost another fortune.

Pursue a military campaign in Iran.

Retain tax breaks for mega-corps.

Hand out vouchers for health care.

Tax your employer provided benefits.

If that is fiscally conservative or effective than I'm utterly confused.

Jon Bon Jovi just gave a statement, bitterly complaining that Sarah Palin has been using the band's song during her rallies yesterday and today:

"We are surprised to hear that our song, "Who Says You Can't Go Home" was used by the McCain campaign at rallies yesterday and today. We wrote this song as a thank you to those who have supported us over the past twenty-five years. The song has since become a banner for our home state of New Jersey and the defacto theme song for our partnerships around the country to build homes and rebuild communities. Although we were not asked, we do not approve of their use of 'Home.

'"

Jon Bon Jovi threw a dinner at his home for Obama -- $30,800 a plate. Bon Jovi is the latest to complain about McCain's campaign using songs. Heart, Foo Fighters, John Mellencamp and Jackson Browne have also griped.

I benefit more personally from McCain's plan.

Edit: What exactly is the "Top 5%"?

Is your vote contingent only on how your finances are affected? Do you not care about people that are struggling or are already homeless? What about foreign policy? Do you prefer more war? Do you want to continue to be dependent of fossil fuel? Funding for education?

Is your vote contingent only on how your finances are affected? Do you not care about people that are struggling or are already homeless? What about foreign policy? Do you prefer more war? Do you want to continue to be dependent of fossil fuel? Funding for education?

I just said I don't really care about the taxes, fathead.

It can be argued that the pragmatics that our system of government is heavily weighted towards pork and lobbyists, ultimately

make for very little difference between what one party can accomplish over the other as regards your laundry

list of things that should/shouldn't be approved based on which side of the aisle one agrees with.