Hinder/Nickelback v. Gangsta Rap

I fear going into work tomorrow.

I started helping out in the morning by cleaning the restaurant as our last guy just up and quit. Well, what comes w/ this besides dealing w/ the ornery chef is being with this one cook (who happens to be a friend) on Thursdays. We're the only ones there so he feels free to blast whatever he wants. I was DYING the 1st week when I had to listen to the SAME Hinder & Nickelback tracks OVER & OVER. I didn't think it could get any worse and then last week...the gangsta rap. I don't think I've ever heard the "n" word as many times in my ENTIRE LIFE as I did during those two hours :ohwell

So which do think is worse?!? What do you think he could kill me w/ tomorrow?!?

Nickleback is clearly worse than any gangsta rap. Lyrically, musically, production are all better in the hip/hop, rap world. If you can over look the sometimes offensive words, focus on the rest of the lyrics and the production.

Hinder is definitely worse. They are from OK and I don't know anyone from here who likes what they do. We really do have some talented musicians/songwriters from here. I gladly claim Wayne Coyne as a fellow okie. I just find it embarrassing that the most popular nationally known acts currently claiming ties to OK are Hinder, the All American Rejects, and Toby Keith. Man that's depressing. It's gonna be a J.J. Cale, Leon Russell, and Woody Guthrie day to restore my faith in my home state.

Hinder/Nickelback are definitely worse. The masses listen to some rather artistically meritless rap these days, but even the worst of it is at least reasonably danceable. Those other bands, what I call "generock" are so indistinguishable from one another and boring as hell. I throw up in my mouth a little every time I have to download and burn that crap for my brother.

Crapaud, when I was a kid in OKC, everyone was talking about Color Me Badd!

Well, I ended up w/ a mix of the "generock" and rap but this week the rap was more calm and ol' skool. I'm pretty sure there was no profanity to be heard.

And believe it or not, we fit in some political talk NOT the sort of thing this guy would normally discuss.

gangsta rap?

Now we're talking about specific areas. But I would agree that there are rap/hip hop albums out that are better than anything Wilco has put out.

Now we're talking about specific areas. But I would agree that there are rap/hip hop albums out that are better than anything Wilco has put out.

And I would very strongly disagree.

I'd take NWA over Nickleback any day of the week.

And I would very strongly agree.

Enter the 36 Chambers destroys everything, ever. You know it's true.

If you want to talk about a "gangsta" rap album that's better than anything Wilco ever put out, you'd have to go with NWA's "Straight Outta Compton"....there was nothing like that before, and really nothing since. It's one of those landmark albums that defines the genre, like people say "Nevermind" defined grunge or "12 Inches of Snow" defined white Canadian reggae. (lol)

I remember first listening to this as a 15 yr old white kid and thinking, "wow, these guys are PISSED"...could cops really be bad people? Then Rodney King happens, and I was like, ohhh....now I see what that was all about.

Also, the Rick Rubin-produced Geto Boys is one of the most offensive, profanity-laced albums out there, but it's just so damn well done and so well-produced, it's really a classic.

As far as a general rap album, not Gangsta, I'd go with Public Enemy's "It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back." I don't see how anyone could listen to this album and claim Chuck D isn't a talented songwriter or rap wasn't a valid genre. Also much better than "Fear of a Black Planet" IMO.

Runners Up: Paul's Boutique by the Beastie Boys and "Low End Theory" by Tribe Called Quest.

To me it doesn't sound like our friend the cook is listening to the higher quality end of the rap spectrum. I mean is a guy who listens to NWA or Wu Tang going to put on Nickelback ? There is a truck load of shit rap out there.

Also what is up with the cheap techno sounds being used in modern R&B? :barf

Also what is up with the cheap techno sounds being used in modern R&B? :barf

Yeah, I get a taste of "what the kids are listening to these days" when I play at the Frat parties. They often play the new R&B stuff, and also this obnoxious rap/r&b crap with the auto-tune effect on the vocals... "Licked me like a lolli-pop" or something like that.. :barf ......... :barf indeed....