The Grateful Dead

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting up those pics of 10/13. :thumbup

You might have noticed how clear the air was in some of those pics. Very unusual.

I went back and listened to those Warfield P & F shows (4/15-17/99) w/ Trey, Page, and Kimock and Donna for the last two nights) the last few days and there's some really stellar stuff there. if you haven't heard these, and like Phil's offshoot stuff, there are sbds (CharlieMiller did at least two tranfers/mixes) of all three up at archives. Stuff like the Uncle John's and Sugaree are mesmerizing....

http://www.archive.org/details/1999-04-15....295.sbeok.flacf

http://www.archive.org/details/1999-04-16....169.sbeok.flacf

http://www.archive.org/details/1999-04-17....297.sbeok.flacf

I'll check it out. Thanks, hair farmer dude. Gram and Brian are his sons, right?

Hair farmer dude?

Yeah, those are his boys joining in on Clapton's "Hello Old Friend" as the first night opener.

10/18/74 - Winterland Arena, SF, CA

I:Around, Sugaree, Mexicali, Peggy-O, BIODTL, B.E. Women,Cumberland, El Paso, T. Jed, J. Straw, R. Jimmy, WRS Prelude > WRS Pt. 1 > Let It Grow

II: Phil & Ned > Jam > Dark Star > Dew

III: Promised > Bertha > Greatest, Ship Of Fools, NFA > GDTRFB > Sat. Nite

E: US Blues

final complete WRS Suite - Sugaree, BIODTL and Ship appear on "Steal Your Face"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Howza 'bout that set 2 kids? The Jam > Star > Dew is on the GD Movie Soundtrack and is 47 minutes of pure psychedelic bliss.

I keep a folder of loose songs on my computer to listen to from time to time - usually when I am working on something, and don't want to change cds. Anyhow, last night, I clicked on it - and was thinking, I'd like to hear Eyes of the World (from the movie) that I knew was in that folder. And sure enough, that was the first track WinAmp played.

Aman: I used to do the same with all the weekly Lemiuex stuff until it became streamed. I didn't save the files in the proper way and lost about a years worth of his stuff. Drag because it was nice to just pop that on and listen to some choice cuts from various years/shows/etc.

I keep a folder of loose songs on my computer to listen to from time to time - usually when I am working on something, and don't want to change cds. Anyhow, last night, I clicked on it - and was thinking, I'd like to hear Eyes of the World (from the movie) that I knew was in that folder. And sure enough, that was the first track WinAmp played.

It can be legitimately argued that the Eyes there is the best version ever done. There are plenty of fine versions post '74, but when I think of the killer Eyes I always think of '73-'74. When they discarded the 'Stronger Than Dirt' - type jam at the end it was a crying shame imo.

Aman: I used to do the same with all the weekly Lemiuex stuff until it became streamed. I didn't save the files in the proper way and lost about a years worth of his stuff. Drag because it was nice to just pop that on and listen to some choice cuts from various years/shows/etc.

That's right - they put the breaks on that deal. The Eyes of The World track I have in there is the one that is on the So Many Roads boxset.

It can be legitimately argued that the Eyes there is the best version ever done. There are plenty of fine versions post '74, but when I think of the killer Eyes I always think of '73-'74. When they discarded the 'Stronger Than Dirt' - type jam at the end it was a crying shame imo.

There's something about just Billy as the sole drummer and the snap of his swingin' beat from that era that works really well for Eyes then, too.

There's something about just Billy as the sole drummer and the snap of his swingin' beat from that era that works really well for Eyes then, too.

Exactly. The tempo was not rushed, it just swung like a sunsabitch. Some of those from the early Brent years (in particular) are so fast it's just crazy. Jerry's leads are unbelievably fast - I guess massive quantities of blow IS helpful, if just from a dexterity standpoint. :stunned

Love that oregon show. The jam out of china cat is great as is the Dark Star> El Paso.

Have you seen the Sunshine Daydream video?

Love that oregon show. The jam out of china cat is great as is the Dark Star> El Paso.

Have you seen the Sunshine Daydream video?

I have it - I got if from some Bit Torrent site a while back. I think all of it is on Youtube now.

Grateful Dead Rehearsal Change Rocks for Obama

The Dead Reunite for Obama - OCT 13Here's a clip of the Dead (Grateful Dead) rehearsing on Oct. 13, 2008 just prior to their Change Rocks concert and benefit for Barack Obama.

This tape represents the first time the Dead have been back together since 2003 and one of the first times in their 40 year history that they have backed a specific candidate. So join us on this little trip as we take you backstage to hang with Bob Weir, Phil Lesh, Mickey Hart and Bill Kreutzman, Warren Haynes & Jeff Chimenti more commonly known as the Dead.

This is the Dead rehearsing St. Stephen . . . we hope you enjoy it.

We were able to spend quite a bit of time with the Dead that day and there will be more clips to follow.

That was innaresting. Jerry said something about "Stephen" one time (I'm paraphrasing here): "Stephen is like our musical litmus test - you can tell if we're ON or not by how that song is played". It really is a pretty sophisticated tune considering that it's basically just 3 chords (e-d-a). All of those little pauses and changes in tempo can make it a real cumbersome song to perform, I'd guess.

I was just looking at the photos from the Fillmore East in the book - was there some sort of light show effect being reflected or coming through the bass drums? It looks like it.

I don't think so. But most of the time I was just dancing and looking around at the room to see everyone doing the same. I wasn't paying much attention to the stage.

I did notice whenever there was a big change in the direction of the music coming Phil would speak into his microphone (as he does with P&F) and then the chords/tempo would change. That seems to be a pretty effective way to do things, especially if they're not a regular touring band.

The photos I was looking at are from 1970 - maybe they just had something painted on the drum head with a light behind it or in front of it. The photo is on page 217 - of the Taper's book.

OH. Hell, I thought you were asking about the show last week! :stunned

I just went back to the pic you mentioned - that is pretty strange. Billy's bass drum almost has a 3D look to it. The house lights are obviously up. Could be some weird reflection I guess.