The Grateful Dead

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the connection to Philo? A friend of mine used to live there.

In the book, it says that David Gans and Dick Latvala named the jam - it does say that they named it after the town, but no reason as to why. I suppose it was because it is a play on his name. In the track above, I'd say the jam around The Other One is better than what comes after it.

I hope we all agree on one thing: the uber P&F lineup was the one with Herring and Haynes. that lineup during '01 was one of the best bands I've ever seen - any style, anywhere.

Amen, brother. I was fortunate en ough to see that lineup six times, and they just grew in might: Phil in the middle of two phenomenol guitarists just duking it out every night. Whew!!

Grateful Dead Lawyer Hal Kant Dies

October 22, 2008 , 4:20 PM ET

Mike Barnes, The Hollywood Reporter

Hal Kant, principal lawyer and general counsel for the Grateful Dead for more than 35 years who brought the band millions of dollars in revenue, died Oct. 19 in Reno, Nev., after a battle with pancreatic cancer. He was 77.

Kant is credited with preserving the Dead's enduring legacy and their valuable intellectual property, including ownership of their music masters and publishing rights (a rare feat in the early days of rock'n'roll).

Lead singer Jerry Garcia has been dead since 1995, yet the band continues to rake in millions of dollars a year through live recordings and merchandise. Garcia's estate (as well as Save the Rainforest) receives proceeds from every pint of Ben & Jerry's "Cherry Garcia" ice cream.

So domineering was Kant's influence that Garcia emblazoned the lawyer's Grateful Dead business cards with a simple title: "Czar."

Kant also did work for Janis Joplin, Sonny & Cher, the Association, Stevie Ray Vaughn, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Hot Tuna and Captain Beefheart. He was asked to represent the Doors but turned them down because they asked that he work for them exclusively.

A native of the Bronx, Kant graduated from Harvard University Law School, then got a job as a clerk in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit in San Francisco.

Once in law practice, he noticed that "the only attorneys in the music business were the attorneys for the record companies, and their job was to get as much money as they could for their company and leave as little as possible for the artists," he said. "I decided maybe the other guys should have an attorney, too."

Kant also was an accomplished card player; in 1987, he won the World Series of Poker. Members of the Dead often came to root for him during tournaments.

The family asks that donations in his honor be made to the Tower Cancer Research Foundation in Los Angeles.

Jackie has plenty of talent and he's come a long way with the band in the past year. I don't think he hampers the others. Ryan Adams with the band was another issue. I don't think it was a good fit although I appreciated the fact that it was off-the-cuff and raw and all.

I also loved the warren/jimmy phil and friends shows. Quite frankly, it was seeing them at Frost (6-02-2002) that allowed me to start listening to GD again ...just missed Jerry so much it was hard to imagine anyone else singing those songs.

I'm a big fan of Jackie's ( he's a Sunset District guy) B) . I love his version of Sugaree from the Obama benefit at the Warfield. It was so apparent that he was nervous to play with Bobby and we all knew those guys didn't practice for that show. Anyway, you can hear the audience' roar of approval on the recording(sorry can't find a link for that...but I still get goose bumps when I hear it ). I also think Phil has really taken him under his wing. It's nice to see Phil show up and play with him and Tim Blum (the skinny singers) or with Jackie's band when they are in town.

I like that Phil takes chances on some of these guys (not so much Warren, etc.) but even Herring was known on a lesser scale before he played with Phil (Aquarium Rescue, etc.). I agree with the Warren/Herring dyas as the pinnacle, thus far, but really- i appreciate most stuff/combos Phil puts together. I've heard/read he intentionally mixes it up with the people every so often as to keep it somewhat raw/experimental, and that I can get behind.

I really like how Jackie (w/ P & F) does "Hard Rain's A-gonna Fall." Very, very tight and different.

I like that Phil takes chances on some of these guys (not so much Warren, etc.) but even Herring was known on a lesser scale before he played with Phil (Aquarium Rescue, etc.). I agree with the Warren/Herring dyas as the pinnacle, thus far, but really- i appreciate most stuff/combos Phil puts together. I've heard/read he intentionally mixes it up with the people every so often as to keep it somewhat raw/experimental, and that I can get behind.

I really like how Jackie (w/ P & F) does "Hard Rain's A-gonna Fall." Very, very tight and different.

Hadn't Herring already done ABB and Jazz is Dead in addition to ARU?

Hadn't Herring already done ABB and Jazz is Dead in addition to ARU?

I know he had done Jazz is Dead (but really, how popular/known was that?) and am not sure of ABB. Speaking for myself, I was unaware of him prior to Phil & Friends.

lammy, one of the cool groups from the five night run at the warfield was bob weir,john molo, and phil mesmerizing unrehearsed and beautiful. feel so lucky to have seen that this year it really has been a fabulous year for music :P

http://www.dead.net/node/12059/

I was listening to that the other day and although it is a bit rough, thats what i like to hear in rhythm guitar on dead songs. Jackie's playing is too static, fine for his own material but not so much my cup of tea with the dead.

BTW I was walking around the neighborhood where I work in Chicago and come across this pink house, with green trim and a garage out back. The garage had four 5 foot bears on the back and tombstone painted on it that said "RIP Jerry'. Quite cool.

lammy, one of the cool groups from the five night run at the warfield was bob weir,john molo, and phil mesmerizing unrehearsed and beautiful. feel so lucky to have seen that this year it really has been a fabulous year for music :P

http://www.dead.net/node/12059/

Glad you could be there for those shows. I caught P&f immediately after that run for two nights in Denver but was a little envious of the stuff he was doing out at the Warfield. Good stuff.

Just herd it through the grapevine that Merl Saunders is in the hospital and will probably not be leaving. Very sad news.

Merle suffered a stroke a few years ago and I believe he's pushing mid-70s these days. Too bad, as I've seen/met him a few times and he's a really nice guy (as Moe noted). I caught him in Boulder the night Garcia died. Last I saw him play was a brief appearance at the Comes A Time Garcia tribut at the Greek a few years ago. He sat in (next to, actually) Melvin for a tune or two. Nice gesture, considering his condition even a few years ago....

I've always really liked the '85 SC show, with the "Funiculi Funicula" ->Halloween Space/helicopter sounds-> "Werewolves" opener. Fantastic. All sorts of weird noises throughout the "Werevolves." The entire show is very good, with a scorching "Music" that follows the "Werewolves."

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1985-10-3...3590.sbeok.shnf

I've always really liked the '85 SC show, with the "Funiculi Funicula" ->Halloween Space/helicopter sounds-> "Werewolves" opener. Fantastic. All sorts of weird noises throughout the "Werevolves." The entire show is very good, with a scorching "Music" that follows the "Werewolves."

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1985-10-3...3590.sbeok.shnf

Yeah, I am fond of that show as well. They were on a pretty good roll that fall. Evidently the Powers That Be (Lemieux) thought so too - the next night 11/1 was a Dick's Pick.

To Whom It May Concern: That blog "jollyjoke" looks like it is going to get canned, so if you want anything it looks like nows the time.

Yeah, I am fond of that show as well. They were on a pretty good roll that fall. Evidently the Powers That Be (Lemieux) thought so too - the next night 11/1 was a Dick's Pick.

I went to those Richmond shows on 11/1, 11/2 and it was the beginning (in my experience) of the undercover parking lot narcs. Lots of busts those two days.

Great shows, though.

Damn! The only thing that sucks is that they are putting this concert on for a former friednd of a terroist, Rev. GD America! and the Chicago communist party. Its a shame that the DEAD have stuped so low to support such a a fraud! Obama has communist ties. He will take all your money (b/c you are apparently too dumb to know what to do with it) and let the gov't decide who diserves it! If you don't want the gov'y to take over your life don't vaote for Cahirman Obama! Jerry wouldve never done this