• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Real hippies don't have any money.

Yes, but they have things that are better than money. :shifty

(Like SBD cassettes) ;)

Grateful Dead Live at Fillmore West on 1970-04-09

Good Morning Little School Girl, Mama Tried, China Cat Sunflower-> I Know You Rider, Viola Lee Blues Candyman, Friend Of The Devil, Deep Elem Blues, Black Peter, Uncle John's Band Good Lovin'-> Drums-> Good Lovin', Cowboy Song, It's A Man's World, Cryptical Envelopement-> Drums-> The Other One-> Cryptical Envelopement-> Me & My Uncle, Not Fade Away-> Turn On Your Love Light
List of past Halloween shows

Dick's Picks #2 was the first Dick's Picks I ever bought. According to the Taper's book, the jam about 12 minutes in, is called the Tighten Up Jam (due to the fact it sounds like the Archie Bell and The Dells song). I have always rather liked that jam.

That Dicks Picks is great. Loved the jam out of goin' down the road.

10/27/73 - State Fair Coliseum, Indianapoils IN

I: Promised, Sugaree, Mexicali, Loser, BT Wind, TLEO, Jack Straw, Ramble On, El Paso, BE Women, Greatest, Loose Lucy, BIODTL, China > Rider

II: Me & My Uncle, Bertha, Bobby McGee, T Jed, Playin' > Half-Step > Big River > Playin', He's Gone > Truckin' > Nobody's Jam > Wharf Rat > Stella, Sugar Mag

E:UJB

35 years ago today - the first time the band hit the Indy area, beginning a long romance with the Hoosier state. Two of my oldest and dearest friends (Jack and Tom) were at this show - the same guys who drug me to my first show 8 years later.

Set 1 is standard for the time - but check out the slowest, grungiest "Lucy" ever. It's my favorite version of this tune. The Playin' sandwich in set 2 is the heat.

I have thought of this question from time to time - and thought of it again last night when I was reading about Mickey's unreleased solo album. What did he do to earn a living when he left the band? I don't recall reading anything about that anywhere.

I'd be willing to bet he was on the payroll, too, even though I think they were all pretty broke around then (no thanks to Lenny Hart). I remember reading that none of them blamed Mickey but he needed the space anyway because of the embarrassment, etc.

"He's Gone" was written for that rat, too.

Interesting - even though his Dad took off with a bunch of their money.

Yeah, from what I read, Mickey took it the hardest (and rightly so). Again this is just speculation on my part, but honestly I can see them keeping him on the payroll. I think he had a studio at his ranch/barn where the rest of the band rehearsed and recorded during this time. The Band might of paid him for this...

Plus the the rest of the guy's never blamed Mickey for his dad's activities.

I think he had a studio at his ranch/barn where the rest of the band rehearsed and recorded during this time. The Band might of paid him for this...

Plus Dave Crosby and others were popping in to record at the ranch a bunch. Hadn't heard the Band connection before, though....

Plus Dave Crosby and others were popping in to record at the ranch a bunch. Hadn't heard the Band connection before, though....

I did not mean to capitalize the "B", I meant the band (as in the band the Grateful Dead) ... sorry for the confusion.

I did not mean to capitalize the "B", I meant the band (as in the band the Grateful Dead) ... sorry for the confusion.

Ah. Yes. Most of them played on Rolling Thunder, too. I think a few of them were living out there with him, as well.

As for Mick's cash flow from '71-'74 I always just assumed he was involved with The Brotherhood of Divine Love. :rolleyes

What is that about?

Well, the Brotherhood was a collective that was responsible for millions of hits of orange sunshine (along with tons of hashish) reaching the streets from coast to coast in the early-mid '70s.

I was being silly - but there is a very good book Acid Dreams by Martin Lee that examines in depth the connection between LSD, the counterculture, politics and music.

Well, the Brotherhood was a collective that was responsible for millions of hits of orange sunshine (along with tons of hashish) reaching the streets from coast to coast in the early-mid '70s.

I was being silly - but there is a very good book Acid Dreams by Martin Lee that examines in depth the connection between LSD, the counterculture, politics and music.

Oh. If you look that name up now, it is a JC group.

Now playing

Venue Avalon Ballroom

Location San Francisco, CA

Date 4/5/69 - Saturday posters tickets, passes & laminates

One [52:30] Intro [0:07] ; Dupree's Diamond Blues [3:51] > Mountains Of The Moon [3:48] > Jam [2:14] > Dark Star [17:32] > St. Stephen [5:40] > The Eleven 1st vocals [1:11] > Turn On Your Love Light [17:23] ; [0:24] %

Two [1:24:06] Hard To Handle [#5:52] > [0:08] Cosmic Charlie [7:44] ; [0:13] ; China Cat Sunflower [3:26] > Jam [2:20] > Doin' That Rag [7:41] ; Cryptical Envelopment [2:03] > Drums [0:25] > The Other One [9:30] > Cryptical Envelopment [5:#58] > The Eleven [9:07] > It's A Sin [4:57] ; [1:12] ; Alligator [3:52] > Drums [3:52] > drummers' chant [0:15] > Drums [0:12] > Feedback [8:12] > And We Bid You Good Night [3:07] ; [0:10] %

Some dripping psychedelia to brighten up a rainy afternoon.