The Grateful Dead

Mountains Of The Moon - I have grown rather fond of that song.

TC's harpsichord is absolutely spine-tingling.

The jam out of it on this version is especially nice. Jerry stays with the acoustic for pretty much the whole thing and it gives a nice floaty feel before Phil takes over and leads things into Dark Star.

I haven't listened to any primal era dead in quite some time (which isn't uncommon - I'll often go months without listening to a pre-72 show, let alone pre-70) and I'm getting blown away all over again by this one.

I think I'm gonna crank up 8/23/68 next. Once Caliber's delicate ears have left the office and I can give it the volume it needs to be fully appreciated.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love "Illustrated Trip" for that purpose. Even if it's got a bunch of errors. That book is awesome to flip through with a show playing.

I have read them all - but I only own the first one so far - they are very expensive to buy these days. It was not until I read the second volume that I learned the story behind the Betty Boards. I don't think I have seen the book you mentioned. The other Dead books I have are: Living With The Dead, Home Before Daylight, (both mostly not so great) and the pretty cool Gans' book, Playing In The Band. I also have a Wake of The Flood music book that someone gave me. I have read several other Dead books, of course.

More videos from the Obama event soundcheck

So I decided I wasn't quite ready for the complete and utter mindfuck that is 8/23/68 and went with 2/7/69L instead.

Holy Alligator>Caution. This is complete insanity. Highly recommend a listen to this when you're sitting somewhere safely. NOT WHILE DRIVING. You might go off the road.

Link

Welcome back to the Tapers Section, where this week we have more great music spanning about 18 years, including selection from 1973, 1979, 1989 and 1991.

Our first selection this week is from 10/29/73, the first of two nights at the Kiel Auditorium in St. Louis, on the tour that immediately followed the release of Wake of the Flood. From the end of the first set, we have the terrific trio of songs: Eyes of the World>China Doll, Around and Around. I really love these two shows in St. Louis, as I do most of the two month span between October 19 and December 19, 1973. We've already seen plenty of great releases from this period (DP 1, DP 14, DP 19, Winterland 1973), but I can foresee future releases coming from this period. San Diego, LA and Denver spring to mind

So I decided I wasn't quite ready for the complete and utter mindfuck that is 8/23/68 and went with 2/7/69L instead.

Holy Alligator>Caution. This is complete insanity. Highly recommend a listen to this when you're sitting somewhere safely. NOT WHILE DRIVING. You might go off the road.

That 8/23/68 Alligator>Caution is amazing Mr. Wook. :thumbup It was an added track on the Golden Road box set.

Mountains Of The Moon - I have grown rather fond of that song.

When Phil, Bobby, Mickey, and Bruce (along with Molo and Kimmock) regrouped in '98 as "The Other Ones" they brought back MOTM at Phil's request. Those versions were uniformly great imo - there's a nice take on the live 2CD set Only The Strange Remain. Worth a listen.

I should say - I don't much care for the harpsichord part. I think it has to do with the harpsichord itself - I am not much of a fan of the sound that instrument makes. I like to hear the song with just Jerry playing his acoustic guitar.

I should say - I don't much care for the harpsichord part. I think it has to do with the harpsichord itself - I am not much of a fan of the sound that instrument makes. I like to hear the song with just Jerry playing his acoustic guitar.

The one on Youtube from the Playboy mansion is nice.

I've also FF China Doll on Reckoning because of the harpsicord. Yuck.

That 8/23/68 Alligator>Caution is amazing Mr. Wook. :thumbup It was an added track on the Golden Road box set.

Indeed. That's in my top 5 tapes of alltime. Just mindblowing.

This afternoon's choice - Other One trifecta!

Venue San Diego International Sports Arena

Location San Diego, CA

Date 11/14/73 - Wednesday posters tickets, passes & laminates

One Big Railroad Blues [4:00] ; Jack Straw [4:49] ; Sugaree [7:32] ; Mexicali Blues [3:25] ; Here Comes Sunshine [12:53] ; Black Throated Wind [7:00] ; Cumberland Blues [6:31] ; Row Jimmy [8:54] ; The Race Is On [3:09] ; Brown Eyed Women [5:08] ; Beat It On Down The Line [3:15] ; Tennessee Jed [8:15] ; El Paso [4:18] ; China Cat Sunflower [9:09] > I Know You Rider [5:39] ; Around And Around

Two Truckin' [16:24] > The Other One [15:31] > Big River [5:03] > The Other One [6:15] > Eyes Of The World [11:#24] > The Other One [4:31] > Wharf Rat [9:53] ; Me And My Uncle [2:58] ; Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad [7:37] > One More Saturday Night [4:58]

That's a good one above. I listened to a 16-min. "HC Sunshine" (because I woke up with it in my head this a.m.) on the bus ride to work today and about 2/3 of a 46 minute "Dark Star" from Cleveland (I think it was 12/6/73). It was a good25 minutes into the DStar until the lyrics came in.

It was nice, too, because there's no Donna for this as she's, according to Weir, "at home getting big an' round."

I'm loading up the IPOD for a few long plane rides and some driving time over the coming two weeks. So far, I've gone with:

Reckoning

Dick's Picks 12 (6/26/74 and 6/28/74)

Dick's Picks 22 (2/21/68 and 2/22/68)

1/20/68

2/2/68

8/23/68

2/7/69E

2/7/69L

4/5/69 (thinking about swapping this and 2/7L out as I just listened to them, but they're both so damn good)

10/25/69

5/2/70

5/3/72

5/4/72

9/27/72

3/22/73

9/11/73

10/30/73

11/14/73 (this one's coming off after this listen, most likely)

12/26/79

9/12/81

Any 68/69 suggestions (outside of Fillmore West 69 or Winterland 69) that should absolutely take the place of any of those?

That's a good one above. I listened to a 16-min. "HC Sunshine" (because I woke up with it in my head this a.m.) on the bus ride to work today and about 2/3 of a 46 minute "Dark Star" from Cleveland (I think it was 12/6/73). It was a good25 minutes into the DStar until the lyrics came in.

It was nice, too, because there's no Donna for this as she's, according to Weir, "at home getting big an' round."

I'll have to stream that one sometime soon. Don't think I've heard that show.

12/6/73 is one of my favorites. Of course, I love just about everything from October through December '73.

12/6/73 is one of my favorites. Of course, I love just about everything from October through December '73.

Yep. I've said it before here, but Fall '73 is my very favorite GD tour.