The Grateful Dead

>11/9/91

I was at that show. Drove 5 hours on, I believe, the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel

through a storm with waves just about lapping over the car. Bought a ticket so fake the print wiped off by the time we reached our seats. Great, great show. Bruce's electric piano, as its called, adds a nice touch. Jerry was in fine form in those days, with Bruce complementing him beautifully and, thankfully, without Vince's casio.

>Yep. I've said it before here, but Fall '73 is my very favorite GD tour.

Nice. Now that's precise. In general '73-74 is my favorite period.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>11/9/91

I was at that show. Drove 5 hours on, I believe, the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel

through a storm with waves just about lapping over the car. Bought a ticket so fake the print wiped off by the time we reached our seats. Great, great show. Bruce's electric piano, as its called, adds a nice touch. Jerry was in fine form in those days, with Bruce complementing him beautifully and, thankfully, without Vince's casio.

>Yep. I've said it before here, but Fall '73 is my very favorite GD tour.

Nice. Now that's precise. In general '73-74 is my favorite period.

I'd be curious to hear everyone else's favorite periods.

Me, I love Spring of 77, 1969, 72-74

After Fall '73 these are some favorites (in no particular order)

Spring '69 - especially April

Fall '72 - it's no coincidence there have been 3 DPs from a 10 day period in September alone!

Summer '74 - everything in the last 2 weeks of June is KILLER

Fall '79 - Brent has settled in and things were much much better than the previous year imo

Fall '90 - from the time Bruce joined through the end of the year. An unexpected renaissance.

1968, 1972 thru 1974...........and 88 thru 90 (mainly 'cause I saw bunches of shows then and have fine memories of good times)

This morning's listening:

Venue Dream Bowl

Location Vallejo, CA

Date 2/22/69 - Saturday posters tickets, passes & laminates

One [58:55 +] Dupree's Diamond Blues [#3:57] > Mountains Of The Moon [3:44] > Jam [1:40] > Dark Star [22:17] > Cryptical Envelopment [1:55] > Drums [0:13] > The Other One [8:16] > Cryptical Envelopment [9:34] > Death Don't Have No Mercy [7:06] ; [0:28] %

Two [54:54 +] [0:04] ; Doin' That Rag [6:46] > St. Stephen [5:56] > The Eleven [19:17] > Turn On Your Love Light [6:12] > Drums [1:22] > Turn On Your Love Light [14:52] ; [0:35] %

Favorite eras (after the aforementioned Oct-Dec '73):

- Spring '69 (although a little goes a long a way as there isn't much variation in material)

- Summer-Fall '74

- Spring '77

- '89-'90 (Jerry was relatively healthy and inspired and the Jerry ballads never sounded better)

11/2/69 - Family Dog at the Great Highway, San Francisco CA

Cold Rain, Midnight Hour, Seasons, Mama Tried, Next Time, Good Lovin',Big Boss Man, Casey Jones, Dancin', Dark Star > St. Stephen > The Eleven > Lovelight > Death Don't

I think I've mentioned this before, but this take on Dark Star might be my favorite from all of '69 (well, along with 4/22). VERY dreamy version. Also, you must hear the version of Next Time - it's ridiculously slow and grungy - a unique version.

11/2/69 - Family Dog at the Great Highway, San Francisco CA

Cold Rain, Midnight Hour, Seasons, Mama Tried, Next Time, Good Lovin',Big Boss Man, Casey Jones, Dancin', Dark Star > St. Stephen > The Eleven > Lovelight > Death Don't

I think I've mentioned this before, but this take on Dark Star might be my favorite from all of '69 (well, along with 4/22). VERY dreamy version. Also, you must hear the version of Next Time - it's ridiculously slow and grungy - a unique version.

Thank you for the tip...any info about where the family dog put this show on? I work by the great highway so I'm curious. Dreamy Ocean set no doubt.

Chet Helms - Wikipedia entry

The San Francisco Family Dog dances later re-emerged in a new location, the old skating rink and "Bull Pup Enchiladas" at Ocean Beach, at 660 The Great Highway in San Francisco's Richmond district.

Link (to the show below)

Welcome back. This week we have some great Grateful Dead music from 1969 through to 1985, with a rare Tapers

http://iclips-push1.wm.llnwd.net/iclips_push1

Phil Warren Staton Moore Medeski Live Right NOW!

Franklins Tower, For What It's Worth>Turn On Your Love Light

Mind you phil played earlier at the Nokia, as he has the past three nights. I'm guessing, could be a long shot but I bet he shows up at the ratdog show in DC tomorrow.

They will be on Conan Thursday as well, Phil and Friends that is.

Anybody else catch this? Sugaree. Jackie handled the vocals very nicely. It's always strange though to see a time limit being imposed - there was a missed verse, and the solos were SO concise!

Still cool to see the boys on free TV.

Anybody else catch this? Sugaree. Jackie handled the vocals very nicely. It's always strange though to see a time limit being imposed - there was a missed verse, and the solos were SO concise!

I just watched it (dvr). Considering the time constraints, of course, I thought it was a very solid version. I like the Blues twist Jackie brought to it and the chick that's been sitting in with the band for a spell is a great touch.

11/7/71 - Harding Theatre, SF, CA

I: Truckin', BE Women, BIODTL, Hideaway, Sugaree, J. Straw, T. Jed, Cumberland, El Paso, Big RXR, Comes A Time, Mexicali, Sat. Night

II: Ramble On, Me & Bobby McGee, Loser, Sugar Mag, Dark Star > Drums >The Other One > Me & My Uncle > Other One Reprise > Deal. Brokedown, Playin', Casey, NFA > GDTRFB > NFA

E: J.B. Goode, UJB

This show begs for an official release. It might be my favorite from all of '71. Keith has been in the band 3 WEEKS and sounds fully integrated already! There are some inklings of Europe happening here.

The first set is notable for the Comes A Time, complete with the 'missing' verse. Of course, the second set really kicks in with the "Star". What's notable about this version (to me) is how quickly they reach deep space...it's really a pretty short Star but you can tell that after playing a bunch of 'songs' they're itching to get loose - and that they do. The NFA Suite is another killer version along the lines of the fantastic DP #2 take.

Highly recommended show.

From jambands.com:

The Dead Reportedly In Line For Inauguration Gig, Phil and Friends "Comment" on Obama Victory

The Presidential inauguration of Barack Obama will take place in Washington on January 20. As we reported on Wednesday, Wilco likely will perform at an inaugural event in some fashion. In addition, a report in today's New York Daily News, suggests that the surviving members of the Grateful Dead may well be on hand as well. Accordingly to the Daily News Bob Weir has indicated,"We've been told to keep the date free."

Meanwhile, Phil Lesh and Friends returned to New York City's Nokia Theatre last evening. As Lesh has affirmed in his conversations with Jambands.com (including his recent interview with Mike Greenhaus), he often will structure his setlists around a particular theme or use the songs to tell a story. It would seem that he commented on Obama's victory during last night's show, the group's first since the election, which opened with "Help On The Way" and closed out with "Dancin' in the Street."

Jeez....Wilco and the Dead. I feel vindicated in some way.

too bad it isn't on our turf.

I got home, turned on the tube and alas, "Please welcome, Phil Lesh & Friends."

I was very happy that things unfolded in such a way as I am a big fan.

Very solid rendition of "Sugaree," one of my all time favorites. Good stuff.