Wilco playing the White House lawn

Too bad the only Democrats familiar with Wilco are hipster urbanites between 30 and 40.

If that's their categorization for Democrats, what sub-classification of Republicans would be familiar with Wilco?

Received via Mike Watt:

WILLIAM McKEEN, Professor and Chair

University of Florida Department of Journalism

P.O. Box 118400, Gainesville, Fla. 32611

Voice: 352/392-0500; Fax: 352/846-2673

Home page: http://williammckeen. com

Dear friends,

After hearing a rumor about Odetta's health, I phoned her manager this evening and he confirmed for me that Ms. Odetta is receiving treatment in a New York hospital, where she will be for at least another week.

It's Odetta's goal to recover and be in good health so she can perform as planned at Obama's inauguration, Doug told me.

Odetta would appreciate cards and letters--please drop her a note if you have the time. Please also forward this information to anyone you know who appreciates Odetta. One note or card is a small joy... perhaps a steady stream of them is something stronger. It sure would be amazing for Odetta to perform at the inauguration, and a shame for her to have to miss such an event.

Here's the address:

ODETTA GORDON

Lenox Hill Hospital

Room 720

100 East 77th St.

New York, NY 10021

Send a card! Odetta kicks ass!

My Dad and I saw him in a small theater in Nelsonville, Ohio earlier this year. He was a little spacey in between songs, but his voice still sounds great, he closed with an amazing cover of "We Don't Get Fooled Again."

--Mike

That song, co-written by Louis Gossett Jr., is probably a bit too militant for such things. I have always liked the spiritual power of that song.