Bridge School Benefit - 10/26/08

Another excellent day at the Shoreline. Our view from the middle of Section 102 was worlds better than the back of 202. Wilco didn't repeat any songs from Saturday. Their set:

Remember the Mountain Bed

new song (yet another one I'd never heard before)

What Light

Heavy Metal Drummer

Christ for President (Glenn playing an actual stop sign from Sunnyvale)

I'm the Man Who Loves You (dedicated to Susan)

I Shall Be Released (with Pegi and Neil Young) :wub

Neil played with almost everyone today. Only Death Cab didn't have any guests in their set - Smashing Pumpkins brought up Josh Groban for "Disarm." Neil's closing set was almost the same as last night, with one different song. The ensemble singalong was great - props to Nels for pushing Jeff up front to share a mic with Norah Jones and Sasha Dobson. ;)

Again, it's tough to give a decent report on the debut of this new song having heard it just once and in a stripped-down arrangement. My first impressions were that it's a mid-tempo number with some pretty evocative lyrics, though definitely not as immediately catchy as the song that was debuted on the first day of Bridge School. Rereading some of the lyrics I managed to scrawl down, the tone seems to be a fairly bleak one: "There's nothing left here/The country has disappeared" and "Hold out your hands/So much you don't understand/Stick as close as you can" and something about "best laid plans."

Moving on, there's a line about "white clouds hanging above you" and something about helicopters. And then the apparent chorus starts off something like, "Every evening we watch from above/Crush the cities..."

The other fragment I jotted down was something about "this is love to some."

Not a very coherent report, I'm afraid. I will say that this was the first of the new songs I've heard that I didn't get into right away, but again, it's hard to say if what we heard is still evolving or close to a finished product. It's been nice to get a couple sneak peeks the past couple of days, in any case. :thumbup

I thought today's set was, overall, probably a little better than the first day. Even though Jeff stumbled a little bit during "What Light" (nice recovery!), I thought the band as a whole seemed more comfortable than yesterday. And "I Shall Be Released" with Neil and Pegi was a neat moment. Jeff had a big smile on his face throughout. Hopefully we'll get to see this collaboration at least a couple times on the December tour. :)

It was really great. I'm not going to make it to any of the "proper" Neil shows with Wilco opening, so I was very glad I had the chance to attend the Bridge School shows. I took some not so great pictures on Sunday - my camera's zoom doesn't hold up under close scrutiny. But here's one:

2978927165_e3431cdc85_b.jpg

Paul has some super shots, which he will hopefully get uploaded soon.

The only person to embody this song anywhere near Dylan himself has got to be Neil Young. That sounds like it was the coolest thing, ever.

poor Richard Manuel is rolling in his grave, he owned this song more than anyone.

Another excellent day at the Shoreline. Our view from the middle of Section 102 was worlds better than the back of 202. Wilco didn't repeat any songs from Saturday. Their set:

Remember the Mountain Bed

What Light

Heavy Metal Drummer

Christ for President (Glenn playing an actual stop sign from Sunnyvale)

I'm the Man Who Loves You (dedicated to Susan)

I Shall Be Released (with Pegi and Neil Young) :wub

Neil played with almost everyone today. Only Death Cab didn't have any guests in their set - Smashing Pumpkins brought up Josh Groban for "Disarm." Neil's closing set was almost the same as last night, with one different song. The ensemble singalong was great - props to Nels for pushing Jeff up front to share a mic with Norah Jones and Sasha Dobson. ;)

hahahahahaha...Jeff dedicated it to Neil and "Patti"!!!! Guess it's been a long tour! Go gettem Jeff and Co. We's luvs us some Wilco. Evidently Nora Jones does too!

Paul has some super shots, which he will hopefully get uploaded soon.

I wouldn't say my photos are super by any means, but a few of them turned out OK.

For instance, here's a closeup of Neil and Pegi during "I Shall Be Released":

2980179987_61d340e4b1.jpg

And here's Norah Jones and Jeff (and Sasha Dobson) during the show-closing "Comes A Time":

2980173679_085b274a67.jpg

You can find all of my shots from Bridge School here. (They're pretty much all from the second day because we weren't really sitting close enough the first day to get too many decent photos.)