• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it's actually really, really funny.

It's more stupid than funny. It's like me saying that Alabama should be in the title game over Florida because they beat Mississippi and Florida didn't. Oklahoma's a good team, no doubt, but they should consider themselves lucky to be where they are instead of acting like jackasses.

It's more stupid than funny. It's like me saying that Alabama should be in the title game over Florida because they beat Mississippi and Florida didn't. Oklahoma's a good team, no doubt, but they should consider themselves lucky to be where they are instead of acting like jackasses.

Isn't this the reason we all root so hard for are chosen team?

Isn't this the reason we all root so hard for are chosen team?

Of course it is (though I would argue you can be a sports fan without being an idiot), and I should clarify. It's not the team or the majority of their fans that I'm talking about. I just saw a lot of 'Texas stop whining' type signs in the crowd yesterday.

It's more stupid than funny. It's like me saying that Alabama should be in the title game over Florida because they beat Mississippi and Florida didn't.

No, that's what Texas is saying. If you were seriously making that argument, some guy from Florida would have you on a sign.

No, that's what Texas is saying. If you were seriously making that argument, some guy from Florida would have you on a sign.

If Texas was making the argument, it only needs to be one step long: We beat you.

Watch this: Guy from OK has sign at Big 12 title game > Oklahoma lost to Texas > Guy suggesting they deserve to be there based on other wins.

My scenario: I have an AL sign at (hypothetical) title game > AL lost to Florida > I'm suggesting AL deserves to be there based on other wins

No, it's actually really, really funny.

But not as funny as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb7ZVwJ_nlM

I cracked up when I saw that. I saw Beamer pop a wideout upside the head on purpose when Virginia Tech got blownout by WVU in Morgantown in 2003. The OU thing is funny, but Texas beat them head-to-head and they deserve a shot.

--Mike

I admit OU is lucky to be where it is. However, this head-to-head argument doesn't carry much weight with me. Does Ole Miss deserve to be in Miami because it beat Florida head-to-head? No, because Ole Miss didn't win the rest of its games. Neither did Texas. If you lose a game, you submit yourself to the mercy of the system. Poor Texas.

I can also see why OU fans were focused on Texas while in Kansas City. It essentially was an OU-Texas national semifinal. Unfortunately for Texas, it had to send Missouri as its proxy.

In the Big 12 South, it wasn't "head-to-head." It was "head-to-head-to-head." So you have to look at other factors. Who is hottest now. Who has a better scoring deferential. Who has the better chance of winning in the big game. Whatever. But it can't just be "head-to-head." And I'm not going to fault other OU fans from defending the team's right to be where it is.

Florida vs. Oklahoma

Texas vs. Ohio State

USC vs Penn State

Alabama vs. Utah

Virginia Tech vs. Cincinnati

there are some good match ups in there.

If Texas beats up on Ohio State and Oklahoma barely wins, i could see the AP giving Texas their Number 1 spot, to be nice.

Good line up this year actually, but I would be a lot more excited over an eight-team playoff with the six BCS conference winners, the highest at-large team from a BCS conference, and the highest ranked non BCS-conference winner.

Under the Big East/ACC corollary in my dream system: a conference winner must finish in the top fifteen or else it must play an in-game against the next highest at-large team. Virginia Tech won its conference and should at least get a shot to play for all the marbles, but I can't put them in over Alabama. Yes, this diminishes the regular season a little bit, but every week is still extremely important and teams have to win their conferences to get a guaranteed spot. Here's how it would look.

Play in game: (8) Alabama vs. (9) Virginia Tech

First Round: (1) Oklahoma vs. play in winner

(4) USC vs. (5) Penn State

(3) Texas vs. (6) Utah

(2) Florida vs. (7) Cincinnati

I can dream can't I?

--Mike

Yes, Boise State does get screwed in this system. Texas Tech lost by 45, so I am not too torn up about leaving them out, but BSU has a legitmate gripe.

If Texas was making the argument, it only needs to be one step long: We beat you.

Watch this: Guy from OK has sign at Big 12 title game > Oklahoma lost to Texas > Guy suggesting they deserve to be there based on other wins.

My scenario: I have an AL sign at (hypothetical) title game > AL lost to Florida > I'm suggesting AL deserves to be there based on other wins

Whoops. :beer

In the Big 12 South, it wasn't "head-to-head." It was "head-to-head-to-head." So you have to look at other factors. Who is hottest now. Who has a better scoring deferential. Who has the better chance of winning in the big game. Whatever. But it can't just be "head-to-head." And I'm not going to fault other OU fans from defending the team's right to be where it is.

I don't think anyone finds fault with Oklahoma fans making their argument. However, for some reason Texas is seen as whining about it (by some), when it was merely doing the same thing.

And I still think Texas had the better argument. The Longhorns were playing just as well as Oklahoma down the stretch with a better defense. And when it comes to breaking a three-way tie, the most obvious way to do it (at least, in my opinion) is to eliminate one team. Tech had been eliminated by being blown out and then by limping across the finish line at home against Baylor, to go along with their extremely weak schedule (aided by playing two FCS teams). So then it comes to head-to-head for the other two teams who were only separated by the thinnest of margins (which is why I like the ACC/SEC tiebreaker better -- it makes more logical sense to me).

This isn't to say that I don't think Oklahoma had an argument either. The impressive victory over Tech was a pretty good statement. Although I thought the 61-41 win over OSU was less impressive and pretty sloppy, it was a great road win for the Sooners. It's just unfortunate that something so seemingly important came down the way it did. I wish there were a better method of deciding all of this, like a playoff.

Oh well, I guess things will stay true to form, though, and Oklahoma will lose its fifth straight BCS bowl.

No matter what anyone else thinks, Ohio State will not get blown out by Texas, and Penn State will not get blown out by USC.

If I were the betting sort, my money would be on blowouts in both of those games.

Texas WILL blow out Ohio State. They're pissed and will take it out on the weaker-than-usual Buckeyes.

USC WILL blow out Penn State. Again, USC will want to show their worthy of top-team discussion.

I can't decide on the OU/Florida game. I think Oklahoma's the better team, but Florida is favored by 3. This will be a very competitive, close game that will be decided by one or two critical plays late.

Speaking of OU, I thought it was total BS to pile on points at the end of the Missouri game. Granted, the late long run for a touchdown can't really be faulted, but just before that, Bradford heaved a long bomb to the endzone.

Stoops is a great coach, but he lacks a bit in the class department. I'd LOVE to see Florida pound the Sooners.

But there seems to be an implicit agreement on everyone's part that TT wasn't in the conversation anymore.

I think the Rose Bowl will be a much better game then people think. USC's offense is good (but not great) and have struggled in more than just the Oregon State game. In parts against Arizona, Stanford, and UCLA they looked very mediocre. The defense is clearly excellent. Penn State also has a very good offense, although nothing like the Big 12 teams this year. But their strength too is probably their defense. I think Penn State probably has a slightly better offense, and USC probably has a better defense. I think Pete Carroll has been very good at preparing teams for bowl games, but this will certainly be the best team we've faced this year. As a fan, I of course believe USC will win, but I don't see a blow out like everyone else.

Texas should definitely beat Ohio State.

I think I want Oklahoma to win so the SEC doesn't have even more reasons to talk about why all the other conferences suck. Furthermore, Texas being shafted and then Oklahoma winning makes it more likely that there are legitimate gripes at season end, and every time we get controversy, more fans get pissed and want a playoff.

I can't decide on the OU/Florida game. I think Oklahoma's the better team, but Florida is favored by 3. This will be a very competitive, close game that will be decided by one or two critical plays late.

I think it comes down to the old "Defense wins Championships" line of thought.

OU has a more potent offense, but Florida has a much better defense, which gives the slight edge to Florida, IMO.

I think it comes down to the old "Defense wins Championships" line of thought.

OU has a more potent offense, but Florida has a much better defense, which gives the slight edge to Florida, IMO.

Agreed, though Oklahoma's defense is much better than those outside of Big 12 county probably think. Many teams in the league run a spread, and run them quite well. It's damn hard to stop. But Oklahoma's speed on defense is very impressive....it's the only way to really stop the spread, and OU showed they could by whomping T. Tech and Oklahoma State and Missouri.

My brain tells me it will be close.

My gut tells me OU will win by 14 or more.

My heart tells me I want Stoops embarrassed and humiliated and lose by 50.

Furthermore, Texas being shafted and then Oklahoma winning makes it more likely that there are legitimate gripes at season end, and every time we get controversy, more fans get pissed and want a playoff.

Fans can get pissed all they want, but the BCS just locked itself in until 2014. There won't be a playoff anytime soon -- there's too much money involved in keeping it the way it is.

Fans can get pissed all they want, but the BCS just locked itself in until 2014. There won't be a playoff anytime soon -- there's too much money involved in keeping it the way it is.

My senator is very powerful! Yes we can!

Can they not modify the structure while keeping the organization or whatever it is? Like add a plus one or something?

I liked that 16 team playoff that the guy over at Yahoo Sports put out there. Dan Wetzel or whatever his name is. It was just the Div. II structure, but it obviously is workable. And would be freaking awesome.

I think I want Oklahoma to win so the SEC doesn't have even more reasons to talk about why all the other conferences suck. Furthermore, Texas being shafted and then Oklahoma winning makes it more likely that there are legitimate gripes at season end, and every time we get controversy, more fans get pissed and want a playoff.

Exactly. I don't really have a rooting interest in the Big 12, both Stoops and Brown seem like stand up guys who run really good programs, so I was kind of pulling for an OU/Florida championship.

Question for the Texas fans: Would you rather see Oklahoma beat Florida and hope for possibly splitting the national championship with them by winning the AP poll (which really doesn't count anymore, but it would still be a split title in some regards) or would you rather see Florida bomb Oklahoma, like USC did four years ago, and finish second to the Gators in both polls?

Feel free to insert your favorite team and your favorite team's rival into this question as a hypothetical. I think WVU was in Texas' spot and Pitt was in Oklahoma's. I'd have to root for Pitt for the possibility of the split title just so we could have something even if it ultimately didn't mean much. But I wouldn't be too torn up if they got bombed.

--Mike