• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This whole Jeff Jagodzinski thing is a crock of shit. Who in the world is going to want to go to Boston College, and work for that jackass of an AD?

I'd get fired too if my boss found out I was interviewing somewhere else.

But you are right -- who is going to want to go to BC now? This AD might be standing on principle to shoot himself in the foot. It's a shame though that no one (players or coaches) can live up to the contracts that they sign.

I live in Big 12 country, and 2 weeks ago I'd have guessed Oklahoma would win by 2 touchdowns.

But right now, I'm leaning towards Florida winning the game.

Are the Big 12 offenses THAT good? Are the Big 12 defenses THAT bad?

I think the truth is in the middle somewhere. It's been proven that a good rush and speed can slow down the spread offenses. That's why I think Florida has a good chance to win tonight.

But I also say that if any Pac 10, Big Ten or SEC team played in the Big 12, their defense would also be rated no higher than #40 or #50 in the country. When the spread offense is run by a talented, smart, scrappy QB, it's hard to stop. And the Big 12 is loaded with such QB's. Todd Reesing of Kansas is probably considered the 5th or 6th best QB in the conferene, and watching him is like watching Houdini...the guy's amazing.

I live in Big 12 country, and 2 weeks ago I'd have guessed Oklahoma would win by 2 touchdowns.

But right now, I'm leaning towards Florida winning the game.

Are the Big 12 offenses THAT good? Are the Big 12 defenses THAT bad?

I think the truth is in the middle somewhere. It's been proven that a good rush and speed can slow down the spread offenses. That's why I think Florida has a good chance to win tonight.

But I also say that if any Pac 10, Big Ten or SEC team played in the Big 12, their defense would also be rated no higher than #40 or #50 in the country. When the spread offense is run by a talented, smart, scrappy QB, it's hard to stop. And the Big 12 is loaded with such QB's. Todd Reesing of Kansas is probably considered the 5th or 6th best QB in the conferene, and watching him is like watching Houdini...the guy's amazing.

I think we've already seen in the bowl season that the Big 12 was a bit overrated. Texas Tech and Oklahoma State lost to lower ranked SEC and Pac 10 teams. Missouri (the Big 12 north champion) went into overtime with Northwestern (the #4 Big 10 team), and of course Texas barely beat Ohio State in the closing seconds of the Fiesta Bowl. The Big 12 had some very good offenses this year, but its hard to compare them to other conferences until they play decent out of conference opponents. And now that they have, I would say that the Big 12 was just about on par with the other conferences this year, and a lot of the media attention was undue.

I think we've already seen in the bowl season that the Big 12 was a bit overrated. Texas Tech and Oklahoma State lost to lower ranked SEC and Pac 10 teams. Missouri (the Big 12 north champion) went into overtime with Northwestern (the #4 Big 10 team), and of course Texas barely beat Ohio State in the closing seconds of the Fiesta Bowl. The Big 12 had some very good offenses this year, but its hard to compare them to other conferences until they play decent out of conference opponents. And now that they have, I would say that the Big 12 was just about on par with the other conferences this year, and a lot of the media attention was undue.

I think this assessment is right. Offense (namely, quarterbacks) gets the attention of the media, and that's what the Big 12 had this year, so they were "good." Surprisingly, the conferences that didn't get any attention (e.g. ACC, Big East, even the Big Ten) had a surprising amount of depth this year (who would have expected Northwestern to go to a bowl?). While bowl records don't necessarily show that, but the conferences that no one expected to put up any fights put up quite the fight. Change a couple plays, maybe, and some conferences (especially the Big 10) would not have lackluster bowl records.

I mostly agree with that.

But that doesn't take away from the immense offensive talent in the Big 12....particularly QB and receiver.

I DO think Florida has a good chance of winning tonight, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Oklahoma wins by 2 touchdowns.

The spread offense can be very potent....but can also lead to many turnovers if the QB isn't on his game.

The victor and victory margin was what I thought it would be.

But I did think Oklahoma had a decent chance.

The key play was Oklahoma going for it on 4th and 1 in the first half, with the game tied at 7. For some reason, Oklahoma rushed to the line and did a quick snap....only helping Florida bust a gap and make a great tackle. Had OU scored a TD, who knows how the game turns out.

No doubt that Florida's speed on defense was the key.

Great job by Florida. Hard to argue against the SEC. The athletes they get on defense...particularly the secondary....is the difference.

The key play was Oklahoma going for it on 4th and 1 in the first half, with the game tied at 7. For some reason, Oklahoma rushed to the line and did a quick snap....only helping Florida bust a gap and make a great tackle. Had OU scored a TD, who knows how the game turns out.

It's hard to pick a key play, really. One could argue that the interception at the end of the first half was as important as any other play in the game. Or, for that matter, the other interception.

Tough luck for Bradford -- the box score shows that he threw two interceptions, but it doesn't show that those balls both hit his receivers right where they should have, and were then taken away by the Florida defenders.

Who cares who won the Mythical National Championship. The real big news is that Beanie is going pro. That means no more long TD runs in mid-November against the Wolverines! 2009 is our year - Go Blue!!!

First of all, rating conferences is stupid and pointless. All of them have good teams and bad teams. Some are deeper, some are stronger at the top. None of it matters and I'll never understand why an SEC school's fan base would start chanting "S-E-C" after winning a game. Really? Who cares?

Secondly, basing these ratings on the results of bowl season is equally absurd. None of it has anything to do with conferences and everything to do with individual teams, matchups, a long layoff, etc. It's practically a completely new season.

And all of this talk about Texas' win in the Fiesta Bowl being "unimpressive" exemplifies exactly what is wrong with the BCS. It's no longer enough to win, or to show moxie or resiliency in battling back or slugging it out in a tough game with a tough opponent, or trading scores between two great offenses.

It's all about "style points" now. And college football has become no better than figure skating or gymnastics in terms of basing everything on someone's subjectivity.

Congrats to Florida. They are a deserving "national champion." But there were three other teams that had a case to be playing them last night. And any of those three teams could have easily won. I don't see how anybody watching that game last night could unequivocally state that those were the best two teams in the country.

Tim Tebow can win a game of Connect 4 in only three moves.

That's about the ONLY compliment those announcers last night didn't pay him as they slurped him all night.

The game was closer than I expected. I think the criticism of Big 12 defenses is warranted and, though cliche, the axiom "defense wins championships" is true. However, I really can't remember a game that hinged on so few plays. OU had two or three golden opportunities to take the lead and didn't. And Tebow's two interceptions potentially prevented FL from taking a big lead. Overall, the teams were pretty evenly matched, I would say, and FL just made a couple more key plays than OU. Good game. I hope Tebow goes pro just so the slurping will stop!

How are we not talking about Harvin being shafted for the offensive MVP. Anyone who watched the fucking game could plainly see he was Florida's offense last night. Fuck Tebow. I hate him more than I've hated any athlete or team ever.

How are we not talking about Harvin being shafted for the offensive MVP. Anyone who watched the fucking game could plainly see he was Florida's offense last night. Fuck Tebow. I hate him more than I've hated any athlete or team ever.

OTM re: Harvin.

Well, given the last few BCS games we were in, I was frankly pleased to see OU show up ready to play. The defense acquitted itself pretty well, the special teams played very well (that kid wasn't going to make a 49-yd FG anyway), the offense shot itself in the foot. It happens.

I hadn't watched too many UF games this year, so I'd been spared most of the Tebowners from announcers, but it was still hard to listen to the constant man-love from last night's crew.

And I love it how Tebow can dance around on the field and make a spectacle of himself and it's okay because he's just being inspirational, but when his receiver makes a simple first-down signal, he gets flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Percy Harvin was the game for the Gators--he's a terrific player. Aside from his 2 huge runs, Florida's offense was shut down completely for 3 quarters. He should've been MVP.