• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Larvez Mars.

Rivals has him as a 4 star, ESPN has him as a 76 rating. He's a bit undersized, but it's nice to see a fairly highly thought of guy come here. Looks like we're shaping up to have a really nice class, possibly the best or second best in conference.

Larvez Mars.

Rivals has him as a 4 star, ESPN has him as a 76 rating. He's a bit undersized, but it's nice to see a fairly highly thought of guy come here. Looks like we're shaping up to have a really nice class, possibly the best or second best in conference.

Sweet. I'll check him out.

I never really follow recruiting, but there's even less to get concerned about as a Texas fan. Especially on Signing Day. Nearly all of our commitments are sewn up well before this day, and it always seems the big name prospects that wait never pick Texas anyway. There are two today we might have an outside chance at, but I'm not holding my breath.

Plus, we always have a highly ranked class as it is.

Oh, ok.

Yeah, our 1,000 yard freshman reciever last year was unranked until like, 3 days before signing day, and then he was just a two star.

Rivals had a story about how a lot of stuff that they don't consider on rivals (the intangibles) can make or break a prospect much more than their ranking.

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't really football specific, but still.

http://www.gazetteonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll.../702219918/1008

Seeing top colleges' sports facilities eye-opening

The trend in college athletics is "keep up with the Joneses" when it comes to top-flight facilities.

The rage years ago was football practice facilities in the Midwest, where weather is unpredictable in the spring. The latest "must-have" on the facilities front is a basketball practice facility.

Iowa and Iowa State are in the process of making that a reality. But, quite frankly, the state's two biggest institutions are nowhere near the "Joneses," at least compared to two campuses I visited the last two weekends.

My wife, Lisa, and I decided last year to hit the road as often as possible to follow our son, Jack, during his final year of running track for the University of Northern Iowa. Two weeks ago, that meant a trip to South Bend, Ind., and the campus of Notre Dame. Last weekend, it was an eight-hour drive to Fayetteville, Ark., the self-proclaimed "track capital of the world" and home of the Arkansas Razorbacks.

That's a lot of driving for 1 minute and 50-some seconds of running, but well worth it.

It also was worth seeing these two towns, campuses and athletics facilities. In a word, wow.

Through the years, I've seen some nice facilities around the Big Ten. Ohio State and Penn State stand out. I've also visited most of the football facilities in the old Gateway Conference, now the Missouri Valley Football Conference. I sat through a track meet at the crumpling old stadium at Southern Illinois last spring.

Iowa, ISU and UNI all have some nice facilities, but nice doesn't cut it in South Bend and Fayetteville.

Notre Dame is, well, Notre Dame. The campus, it seems, is built around the football stadium. It's impressive. But so are the softball and baseball stadiums. Walking into the Loftus Center was like walking into a bank, albeit one with a track and weight room. To the left was a statue of the Four Horsemen, behind that an expansive weight facility and a small indoor field. The six-lane Meyo track was big and beautiful

• 2 months later...