• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were rumors back in the old days that Fullmer cost UM a unanimous title by putting them 6th or something ridiculous like that in the Coaches poll as direct payback for the fact that Woodson won the Heisman over Manning. Michigan wound up being #1 in the AP Poll, and #2 in the Coaches Poll. Rumor had it that UM would have been #1 in the coaches poll even if he had them top 4 (which was ridiculous to begin with -- they were clearly the #1 team in the nation). I don't know if the rumors were true or not, but I still hold it against him. Jerk.

There were rumors back in the old days that Fullmer cost UM a unanimous title by putting them 6th or something ridiculous like that in the Coaches poll as direct payback for the fact that Woodson won the Heisman over Manning. Michigan wound up being #1 in the AP Poll, and #2 in the Coaches Poll. Rumor had it that UM would have been #1 in the coaches poll even if he had them top 4 (which was ridiculous to begin with -- they were clearly the #1 team in the nation). I don't know if the rumors were true or not, but I still hold it against him. Jerk.

Let it go....

Everything I've read say Davis loves it at UNC. It makes sense. There is zero pressure there.

It's the exact same reasoning I could see Leach staying at Tech. They might be forced to go Cutcliffe or give it to someone without head coaching experience like Muschamp. Would Tennessee do that, though (speaking to the latter)?

Haha. Would you??

Dude, I'm a SC fan. I'll never be in your situation. :lol

Speaking of the Coaches Poll, do you think it's wrong of Spurrier to give Duke a vote every year? I know there's no national championship implications here,but I'm curious as to what impartial people think about that.

Speaking of the Coaches Poll, do you think it's wrong of Spurrier to give Duke a vote every year? I know there's no national championship implications here,but I'm curious as to what impartial people think about that.

Of course it's wrong. In what possible alterna-universe could it possibly be ok? Even with no national championship implications. Doesnt it just make a mockery of the entire process?

Does anyone know if that Fullmer story re: UM is complete hogwash? I figure it probably is urban legend, but...

I think they talked to him and he didn't do it this year.

On the eve of the election, the two presidential candidates were interviewed via satellite by ESPN's Chris Berman. The taped interviews aired during halftime of game between the Washington Redskins and the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Both candidates were asked to name one thing they would change in sports.

"I think it is about time that we had playoffs in college football. I'm fed up with these computer rankings and this and that and the other," Obama said. "Get eight teams -- the top eight teams right at the end. You got a playoff. Decide on a National Champion."

:worship

Doesnt it just make a mockery of the entire process?

But if the process is a mockery already... :lol

As a fan of one of the higher-profile schools opposing the playoff, I have to say its time for them to give in. Its true, tradition is a big deal here in BigTen country. (it reminds us, for instance, of times not so long ago when the conference didn't suck) Sure, the Rose Bowl is neat, but really, who cares all that much? More pressing is the fact that the annual end of season OSU/UM game is a bigger deal than Christmas in this part of the country and the argument goes that a playoff could diminish the importance of games like this. I don't buy it. If anything, that late season rivalry matchup will frequently (though clearly not this year) decide which one of those teams would make the cut for a top-8 playoff, so I don't see it taking away any of the intensity of the rivalry at all.

The nature of college football has changed over time. It is no longer all about conference titles and regional bragging rights. If they want it to be a truly national sport and crown a national champion, polls are a ridiculous way to do it. Do the playoff already.

But if the process is a mockery already... :lol

As a fan of one of the higher-profile schools opposing the playoff, I have to say its time for them to give in. Its true, tradition is a big deal here in BigTen country. (it reminds us, for instance, of times not so long ago when the conference didn't suck) Sure, the Rose Bowl is neat, but really, who cares all that much? More pressing is the fact that the annual end of season OSU/UM game is a bigger deal than Christmas in this part of the country and the argument goes that a playoff could diminish the importance of games like this. I don't buy it. If anything, that late season rivalry matchup will frequently (though clearly not this year) decide which one of those teams would make the cut for a top-8 playoff, so I don't see it taking away any of the intensity of the rivalry at all.

The nature of college football has changed over time. It is no longer all about conference titles and regional bragging rights. If they want it to be a truly national sport and crown a national champion, polls are a ridiculous way to do it. Do the playoff already.

Have you been to the Rose Bowl? I went to the U of M - Texas game in '05, and it was one of the best game experiences I have ever had. The only thing that would have made it better (other than that blasted Texas kicker making the final FG as time was expiring) would have been if USC or UCLA had been the opponent. In my opinion, the Rose Bowl truly lives up to its reputation as the "Granddaddy of all Bowl Games." It is the only bowl game that I will definitely watch even if my favorite team is playing in the CapitalOne/Outback/Alamo/MotorCity (or sitting home licking its wounds like this year). The Sugar Bowl would be fun to attend because of NOLA fun and the Orange would be fun for South Beach. But the Big10/Pac10 tradition is important.

If Obama is serious about a playoff, use the four New Years Day Major Bowls (Rose/Sugar/Orange/Fiesta) as the quarter final round. Maintain the traditional conference relationships (Rose=B10/P10;Sugar=SEC;Orange=B12) and fill in the remaining four spots with conf. champions from Big East/ACC/At-large(x2). Winners play the semifinals the following week, and then NatChampionship the following week. And don't let Fox broadcast the games.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3684640

Ron Prince is out as Kansas State football coach less than three seasons into an attempt to return the program to national prominence.

The school announced Wednesday that Prince won't return for the 2009 season.

Prince was the offensive coordinator at Virginia when he took job in Manhattan prior to the 2006 season, but the expectation of putting Kansas State back among the elite Big 12 programs hasn't panned out. Prince is 16-18 as coach and the Wildcats (4-5) were sent to their third straight loss last weekend, 52-21 to rival Kansas.

"We are in a performance-based profession and have made this decision in the best long-term interest of both the university and its football program," Kansas State athletics director Bob Krause said.

"Our goal remains the same: to build a winning program that is positioned to consistently compete for championships. I appreciate the hard work and dedication that Coach Prince and his staff have put in over the last three seasons and wish him the very best for the future."

I think they should wait until October

Ron Prince was a terrible hire at K State, I hate K State so I wish them nothing but the worst but KSUcks could do much better than Ron Prince

I think Bill Snyder was both the best and worst thing to ever happen to Kansas State. I don't know if they can or will ever achieve that same level of success under him. At least not consistently.

I wouldnt call what K State did under Snyder "national prominence".....they made some bowl games and won ONE conference title, Snyder did a great job building up that program but people always forget the massive choke job his 1998 team had, that was the best team in America that year and they chocked in the Big 12 title game and lost in the Alamo bowl to Purdue, also K State for whatever reason thinks college football began in 1990, they quickly forget how terrible they were for so long, also with Mangino at KU good luck getting the best in state players, K State will now join Iowa State back in the basement in the Big 12