I think the Pac 10 gets a bum rap in general - there are some very good teams in the conference this year, and Washington almost beat LSU and beat us, so they are clearly very talented. I've read before that USC will have to let go of its stranglehold on Pac 10 championships before the conference gets respect, so hopefully this is the start of that.

We were not going to make it to the National Championship game anyhow I think, but we can still get to the Rose Bowl hopefully. And our real QB will hopefully be back next week...

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, from the alum's perspective, Rich Rod wasn't on the hot seat for either one of those reasons this year. If this team goes 3-9 again, he might be on the hot seat next year, but that is not going to happen (unless Tate and Denard suffer season-ending injuries in the next couple of weeks). And the b.s. about not following the rules will not be substantiated. Do you really think that Michigan's training practices are any different than what went on at WVU under Rich Rod or at any competitive football program?

GO BLUE!!! BEAT EASTERN!!!

I hate saying this, but it actually looks like he has the pieces there this year. That team reminds me a lot of the 2002 Mountaineers (his second year there).

--Mike

FIU looked like poop against Rutgers. Pretty big step back from Alabama, when they looked a lot better.

Gotta beat Toledo this weekend. Their offense scares me. Should make my play by play interesting since their should be a ton of offense.

Boise State is ranked fifth already, the way this season is going, I wouldn't be entirely shocked if they end up playing for the national championship. Which would continue to support my theory that the Mountaineers should have poached their coach, Chris Petersen, after Rodriguez done left us.

--Mike

Boise State is ranked fifth already, the way this season is going, I wouldn't be entirely shocked if they end up playing for the national championship. Which would continue to support my theory that the Mountaineers should have poached their coach, Chris Petersen, after Rodriguez done left us.

--Mike

Unless Oregon wins out, I see their strength of schedule and computer ranking dragging them out of the top two.

Unless Oregon wins out, I see their strength of schedule and computer ranking dragging them out of the top two.

Also, it's entirely possible that TCU and Houston go undefeated. And both those teams have harder schedules than Boise State, so if in the strange case that all three go undefeated, TCU or Houston WILL get the nod over Boise State.

Also, it's entirely possible that TCU and Houston go undefeated. And both those teams have harder schedules than Boise State, so if in the strange case that all three go undefeated, TCU or Houston WILL get the nod over Boise State.

If Boise keeps winning though, I am not sure they'll drop in the polls. The computer polls will be a little down on them, but if they finish the season in the Top Two (which would be unlikely, but possible) I don't know if the computer polls have enough weight to sink them out of it. I am just kind of foreseeing another 2007, where all of the big teams are going to lose at least once or twice and if that happens, and Boise runs the table, I'd certainly think an undefeated Boise should get a look over a two-loss SEC champion or a two-loss Big 12 champ. But all of this will be moot if Florida and Texas keep winning, which also seems entirely possible.

--Mike

How much does NBC pay the referees in the Notre Dame games? That touchdown they took away from Washington on review was the biggest pile of steaming bullshit I think I've ever seen. Yes, it's possible that the ball didn't break the plain, but it's supposed to be INDISPUTABLE video evidence, and they sure as hell didn't have that.

(That said, what was the "roughing the snapper" penalty they called on the Irish? Does that one even exist? Lousy attempt at a make-up call, if you ask me.)

Fuck Notre Dame, their NBC contract, and their quarterback, the Rat-Faced Boy.

Oh, and Michigan sucked donkey today, but I'm not all that upset about it, because I sorta thought they might.

How much does NBC pay the referees in the Notre Dame games? That touchdown they took away from Washington on review was the biggest pile of steaming bullshit I think I've ever seen. Yes, it's possible that the ball didn't break the plain, but it's supposed to be INDISPUTABLE video evidence, and they sure as hell didn't have that.

(That said, what was the "roughing the snapper" penalty they called on the Irish? Does that one even exist? Lousy attempt at a make-up call, if you ask me.)

Fuck Notre Dame, their NBC contract, and their quarterback, the Rat-Faced Boy.

Oh, and Michigan sucked donkey today, but I'm not all that upset about it, because I sorta thought they might.

The make up unsportsmanlike conduct penalty in the LSU game was equally bullshit (though neither team should have gotten a penalty, I think). Agree with you about the Notre Dame calls that team seems weirdly blessed in the early part of this season, but I'm sure they'll get theirs against USC.

Was a little surprised Miami pulled that one out, and apropos of nothing I'd really like to never see that fucking Gene Simmons "Dr. Love/Dr. Pepper" commercial again.

--Mike

Funny story.

So after every game, I write a post game commentary for our student newspaper. I like to think I'm mostly fair. I've been critical this year, but the team is 1-5 and hasn't shown any improvement, so it's warranted.

Today I was confronted by an offensive lineman on the team and told to "stop talking shit". He then proceeded to drive away while calling me a faggot.

So I'm, like, famous, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a long time since USC's been beat like that. That Oregon team somehow turned into the 95 Cornhuskers after that Boise State loss. Meanwhile, looks like my team, WVU, is going to lose at least two if not three more games down the stretch. International Bowl here we come! Isn't Toronto supposed to be real nice in early January?

--Mike

Yes, we've not had the s*** kicked out of us like that since I became a fan/student of USC. I am glad to not be too into sports and have something else to do (Halloween).

Holiday Bowl here we come!!

Here's a nice story out of the SEC:

Rodney Scott's goal on the football field isn't necessarily to make friends. But the Ole Miss running back's quick thinking during Saturday's game earned him the admiration of many Auburn players and fans.

Scott was running the football when he was tackled by Auburn safety Zac Etheridge during the second quarter. It seemed like a normal play and the hit wasn't particularly vicious, but Scott quickly realized something was wrong.

"I tried (to move) a little bit, but with dead weight on you, you really can't do anything," Scott said. "(Etheridge) was just stuck there."

Etheridge had suffered a neck injury and was knocked unconscious. After his initial attempt, Scott had the presence of mind not to move again which could have saved Etheridge from further injury, including paralysis.

"It's a bad feeling," Scott said. "You're just wondering if he's OK."

Etheridge is likely out for the season, but is expected to make a full recovery.

Said UM coach Houston Nutt: "That was really a miracle that he didn't push the guy out of the way like you normally would."

Scott said he received several Facebook messages after the game from both Auburn and Ole Miss fans, thanking him for his role in limiting Etheridge's injury.

There are more good athletes and good people than bad. It's too bad that we focus too much on the negative all the time.

Wow. Seems like a small thing, but it could have made a lifetime of difference to the other guy. Kudos to Scott, and I hope Etheridge is back to 100% soon, even if his football days are over.