http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDOy-RMIpF0

Verne Lundquist said nothing!

Hey...neither did Urban Meyer acutally. Half a game supension. pffft.

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey...neither did Urban Meyer acutally. Half a game supension. pffft.

Yeah. Spikes should be gone for AT LEAST A GAME if Meyer wants to send a good message. Play fair, this is college fucking sports. Apparently playing football is not as gentlemanly as it once was. Shows where Meyer's head is at.

Yeah. Spikes should be gone for AT LEAST A GAME if Meyer wants to send a good message. Play fair, this is college fucking sports. Apparently playing football is not as gentlemanly as it once was. Shows where Meyer's head is at.

I'm a hardass...IMO Spikes should be banned from any amateur or professional leagues of ANY sport on the North American Continent for LIFE

A most unlikely person came to the defense of Florida linebacker Brandon Spikes, who was suspended for half a game for apparently trying to gouge the eyes of Georgia running back Washaun Ealey

Ealey said Tuesday he doesn't believe Spikes should have been suspended. In fact, Ealey seemed surprised the play from Saturday's game drew so much attention.

Florida Coach Urban Meyer on Monday suspended Spikes for the first half of this week's game against Vanderbilt after the defensive captain stuck his hand in Ealey's helmet and appeared to try to stick his fingers in Ealey's eyes.

"That really didn't matter to me," Ealey said of the suspension. "That's their decision. He shouldn't, I think, get suspended at all. We were just out there playing football."

Ealey said he had his eyes closed when Spikes stuck his hand in his helmet and he wasn't hurt.

"He really didn't gouge my eyes," Ealey said. "He really didn't get a chance to get close to my eyes."

It happens all of the time in football. Ask anyone who has played it. He got caught, so he should be suspended for a full game. But anything more than that is ridiculous.

Awesome. Louisville Coach Hasn't Lost His Sense of Humor.

While these comments may cause a full scale riot in Morgantown:

They've got a rabid fan base. They all have good arms. Whether they are right-handed or left-handed, they throw those batteries extremely well. They are extremely accurate with those, too. I'm going to have to have a hard hat when I come out of the locker room.

"They love football. They love football in Morgantown. It's a 12-o'clock nooner, so they won't be quite as tanked as they were when we were there two years ago. But, they get after it, man.''

The stuff he said about being late the press conference because Jon Gruden called was pretty hysterical. May we all maintain our sense of humor weeks away from our certain termination like Steve Kragthorpe.

--Mike

As my avatar indicates, it's that time of the year - MEEEEECHIGAN vs. THE ohio state university! Although the last 4 weeks has clearly demonstrated that Michigan's defense is about as stout as the French defenses in the spring of 1940, the offense has been clicking and the game is in A2 this year. I'm not making any predictions (other than a hell of a good time heckling the Alleged Best Damn Band in the Land) but it's Michigan's last chance to get that 6th win to qualify for the Pizza!Pizza! Bowl!

GO BLUE!!!!! BEAT tOSU!!!!!

I can't imagine how much fun it must have been for them to beat up on USC after our lengthly reign over the Pac 10, so I can't really hold much against them. I've always had a soft spot in my spot for Stanford, because I think their band and mascot are really funny.

Harbaugh going for two while up 27 was pretty classy.

--Mike

That was truly ridiculous.

I was pretty proud of my Gamecocks' effort against the mighty Tim Tebow and the Gators last Saturday. If we could get an offensive line, we might go over .500 in the SEC one year. Also, we have some of the biggest redneck fans on the planet. When a bunch of Gators sat around us at the game, I thought we were in trouble but they were all pretty classy. Our fans were disgusting.

This could be interesting. The Michigan football program failed to file the required logs of practice time for the 2008-09 season. Any of them.

Maybe Rodriguez will be taken down by this. Maybe not. Strictly from a football/results perspective, I still think it's too early to judge his success, or lack thereof -- next year is the first one that should really matter in that respect. But if he's responsible for major violations ... well, that's a whole different matter, especially for a program that likes to tout its "clean" reputation.

If the investigation finds violations, I will not defend Rodriguez by saying "everyone else does it," even though I suspect it's true.

On a somewhat related note...

I still think it's time to end the myth of the "student athlete" and make what are now "scholarship" players into the equivalent of minor-league professionals while they play for the university -- give them free room and board and modest stipends. When their eligibility is used up, allow them to attend the university as students for the number of years that they served as athletes ... in other words, if you played for four years, you get four free years of college after your playing days are done. If you left for the NFL after your sophomore season, you only get two free years.

Under this model, the athletes would basically have full-time jobs playing for their teams, without any bullshit hand-wringing about their academics. Athletes should still be required to graduate high school and fulfill the entrance requirements for the university where they play -- but their enrollment would be deferred until after their athletic eligibility ends.

Since only a small percentage of athletes ever make it to the pros, this would provide a much better fallback position for kids who might not have taken their academics seriously enough as student-athletes. When their number never gets called on draft day ... well, at least they can go to college.

This could be interesting. The Michigan football program failed to file the required logs of practice time for the 2008-09 season. Any of them.

Maybe Rodriguez will be taken down by this. Maybe not. Strictly from a football/results perspective, I still think it's too early to judge his success, or lack thereof -- next year is the first one that should really matter in that respect. But if he's responsible for major violations ... well, that's a whole different matter, especially for a program that likes to tout its "clean" reputation.

If the investigation finds violations, I will not defend Rodriguez by saying "everyone else does it," even though I suspect it's true.

I still think it's time to end the myth of the "student athlete" and make what are now "scholarship" players into the equivalent of minor-league professionals while they play for the university -- give them free room and board and modest stipends. When their eligibility is used up, allow them to attend the university as students for the number of years that they served as athletes ... in other words, if you played for four years, you get four free years of college after your playing days are done. If you left for the NFL after your sophomore season, you only get two free years.

Under this model, the athletes would basically have full-time jobs playing for their teams, without any bullshit hand-wringing about their academics. Athletes should still be required to graduate high school and fulfill the entrance requirements for the university where they play -- but their enrollment would be deferred until after their athletic eligibility ends.

Since only a small percentage of athletes ever make it to the pros, this would provide a much better fallback position for kids who might not have taken their academics seriously enough as student-athletes. When their number never gets called on draft day ... well, at least they can go to college.

Reading that Freep article makes it sound as if the practice time logs were required by the University, not the NCAA, and thus failing to file the logs probably is not, in and of its self, a violation of NCAA rules which would lead to sanctions. With that said, it doesn't look very good for RRod to drop that ball, espicially if St. Lloyd filed the same logs on a consistent and timely basis.

Leave it to the Freep to bring this out during the week of The Game.

And I agree that there needs to be a change in providing financial support beyond scholorships to student athletes, at least in the revenue generating sports, such as football and basketball. However, how financially strapped schools (such as teams in the MAC for instance) could implement such a change might result in fewer colleges participating at the top levels . . . which come to think about it, might make sense in Darwinian fashion.

GO BLUE!!! BEAT tOSU!!!

Better get Jimmy Hardballs before it's too late.

I never thought I'd say this, but I.......I kind of miss Michigan. That had all the excitement of watching the Buckeyes sleepwalk through a game with Indiana.

Dear Coach T: There is a crazy trick-play craze sweeping the nation called the "Forward Pass". You guys might want to look into it for the Rose Bowl.

I never thought I'd say this, but I.......I kind of miss Michigan. That had all the excitement of watching the Buckeyes sleepwalk through a game with Indiana.

Dear Coach T: There is a crazy trick-play craze sweeping the nation called the "Forward Pass". You guys might want to look into it for the Rose Bowl.

Maybe it didn't come across on TV, but from the third row behind the Worst Damned Band in the Land, it was an exciting and enjoyable game, even though our freshman messiah threw (and fumbled) the game away. At least Michigan beat what we now realize was a horrible ND team this year. Next year we have a winning record and a bowl game (Outback would be nice) and in 2011 we compete for the Big Ten championship . . . just in time for the Mayan Apocalypse.

GO BLUE!!!!

eta: The Buckeye fans who sat around us were actually quite civilized. And damn, Pryor is HUGE!!!! He may not make it in the NFL as a QB, but I can see him having an awesome pro career in a Dalls Clark-type role with the right team.

Your freshman messiah obviously had some bad throws in there, but I think he looks good for the future. I'll enjoy Michigan being down while I can because I don't think it will last too much longer. Your assessment seems about correct--mid level bowl next year and beyond that, who knows? If the rest of the league remains fairly stagnant, it won't be hard to make a quick rise in the standings.

Pryor is definitely a big dude. He's too good of an athlete not to eventually go pro in some capacity, but I agree I don't know what that will be yet. He still has 2 years of college to see if he can develop into a true QB. This is about the point in his career where Troy Smith got his footwork down and became a much better passer, so I'll be closely watching the bowl game and early next season for signs of life from TP. I don't think I can survive 2 more years of

Living in Ann Arbor, it cracks me up to hear all the hopeful buzz about firing Rodriguez. This will not -- I repeat -- WILL NOT happen anytime soon, unless it's predicated on NCAA violations or another scandal.

Everyone seems to think Michigan could hire Jim Harbaugh away from Stanford. Why? From what I've seen, he coaches a pro-style, drop-back passing offense, and the Wolverines are now two years into recruiting for a spread-option offense. It doesn't make much sense to switch back, unless Michigan is willing to extend its rebuilding process by at least another three years.

Also, why would Harbaugh leave Stanford? I know he's a Michigan guy, but his program is on the rise, and already a player in a major conference. And it's in California. Old school allegiances are strong, sure, but I just don't see Michigan and its cold weather being that much of a draw to Harbaugh right now. But I don't know the man, maybe Ann Arbor is his dream job. Not that one's "dream job" means much these days (Urban Meyer, anyone?).

Rodriguez has a track record of success, and I expect him to eventually put the pieces together in Ann Arbor and develop this team into a contender. The fans wanted it to happen a lot quicker than it will, so they're restless, but they better get used to RichRod, because I think he's going to be here for a while.

(Now that I've said all this, watch, he'll get fired later this week.)

I agree that Rod will get another 1-2 years, minimum, to turn this around. (barring major NCAA sanctions, of course) But you're right, they're already a couple years into the process of building a team to fit his style--I'm not sure how quickly they could flip the switch back to old-style Michigan. Go with what you got. There's no reason to believe he won't be successful, eventually.

And when they are back to being good again, I almost certainly will be kicking myself for being this charitable about it now. :lol