Beatles remasters are here!

Didn't see this discussed anywhere ... my apologies if it's already been covered.

I imagine several of you have read the Mojo piece.

http://abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/news/reissuerumors08.html

A portion of that page is below ... more info at the link above.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

New reissue rumors: October MOJO reveals first solid details about remastered Beatles CDs

Update (10/11/08)

The October MOJO finally showed up in our neck of the woods. Here's a summary of the remaster article:

MOJO was invited "out of the blue" to Abbey Road to hear 10 restored White Album tracks. "You can hear every thread in the musical fabric -- the nuances of Macca's tour de force vocal on "Helter Skelter," his tolling bass on "Dear Prudence," and, eeriest of all, John Lennon singing "Happiness Is a Warm Gun" as if he's sitting right next to you, right now, rather than a whole lifetime ago."

The article mentions they also heard "The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill," "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," "Martha My Dear," "Don't Pass Me By," "I Will" and "Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except For Me and My Monkey." Remastering engineer Guy Massey enabled MOJO to flip between and forth between the old versions and the new ones to hear side-by-side differences.

The remastering has included every UK album, both "Past Masters," "Yellow Submarine Songtrack" and the U.S. "Magical Mystery Tour," but not "Live at the Hollywood Bowl," regrettably.

The new versions keep George Martin's original voices-left, instruments-right balance. The remasters will include both mono and stereo versions. The biggest challenge was the bass, which EMI dealt with cautiously on the original releases. The article says the new versions restore "the intended, recorded bottom end."

So when will we see them? Sometime next year, the article says. And there's no guarantee there will be a coinciding release on iTunes.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really is there much that can be done with Beatles' tracks that hasn't already been done?

Yes.

The original CDs don't really sound all that great. A set of remasters is long overdue.

Considering that this was written about in the October issue of Mojo, I can't believe we haven't discussed it here before now. :stunned

Really is there much that can be done with Beatles' tracks that hasn't already been done?

what does that mean? i don't follow you.

finally, i'll get to have these on cd rather than my scratched up parents vinyl copies. as long as they don't remaster them as badly as they did with yellow submarine it'll all be good; and having the mono versions makes me hopeful they're going to do the job right this time.

I hope they went outside of Abbey Road - but I guess they did not. HDCD would be nice. They should also be released as a two-fer, just as The Beach Boys were, and as The Stones cds should have been. Although - I suppose some people see that as tampering with the past.

I hope they went outside of Abbey Road - but I guess they did not. HDCD would be nice. They should also be released as a two-fer, just as The Beach Boys were, and as The Stones cds should have been. Although - I suppose some people see that as tampering with the past.

that will not happen! these are going to be full price cds, of that i am sure. i hope they do them like the recent Bee Gees remasters of their first 3 albums, mono & stereo albums all on 1 disc, with a second disc of alternate takes & outtakes etc,... but i doubt it. maybe mono on 1 disc and stereo on the other. i also doubt these will ever come down in price like happens with any other artists reissues after a couple of months.

It's ok - my question's been answered. (It was a sincere question, btw, not snarky)

i didn't think it was snarky at all, i just thought you knew something i didn't about it, and then i thought maybe you were referring to how the uk versions are different than the us versions of the albums (but i thought about that after i posted anyway, so ignore that). mine was a sincere question too, is what i'm getting at, not snarky. . . . damn it, i bet i'm sounding snarky now, aren't i?

i didn't think it was snarky at all, i just thought you knew something i didn't about it, and then i thought maybe you were referring to how the uk versions are different than the us versions of the albums (but i thought about that after i posted anyway, so ignore that). mine was a sincere question too, is what i'm getting at, not snarky. . . . damn it, i bet i'm sounding snarky now, aren't i?

:lol Yes. :pirate

I have never heard the Capitol boxsets that were released a few years ago with the American versions of the albums - were they re-mastered?

i have no idea. you'd have thought so, though; otherwise why would anyone want to buy them? like i said, they remastered Yellow Submarine (which wasn't the real soundtrack album) when the film was rereleased a few years back, but i think they did a very bad job with that - so some stuff has had the remastered treatment. i've never even heard Love, but i don't really think i want to that much.

The order of the songs on the cds still sounds funny to me - as I am still use to hearing the American albums. While you are taking care of things over there, get the rest of the Mott The Hoople cds released here.

Sometime in 2000 I made up a great conversation between John & George using their Yellow Submarine McFarlane likenesses. I just thought of that because I pictured John reacting to bobbob's "physical copy" comment - "What the fuck does that mean? You lot are really living in the future over there, eh?"

rumors:

- a deluxe edition will include 5.1 surround

- new stereo mixes for both standard and deluxe editions (original stereo mixes being retired)

- mono mixes and extra tracks on the deluxe edition

- deluxe edition might also include hardbound book

makes sense. i guess i'll be buying the damn deluxe editions. those always sucked me in (read: Bootleg Series, Vol. 8: Tell Tale Signs). couldn't hurt though...especially when i finally upgrade my sound system to 5.1!

-justin