Beatles remasters are here!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't think it will really. it's not like super mario made me want to become a plumber. if anything it will cheapen their music to the next generation, and make them slightly less important. but, if that's how the estates want to play it, then i guess it's up to them.

Some of my friend's who have kids have been astounded at how their kids are all of a sudden into bands like Mott The Hoople, Pat Benatar, The Pixies etc. So I'd assume the same will be true with the Beatles. I really hate the concept of guitar hero, I'm a guitarist and would think it a better use of anyone's time to pick up an actual guitar and learn a song rather than play guitar hero. The South Park episode on guitar hero was spot on.

However, I'm intrigued by this beatles version of the game and I'm looking forward to playing it at a friend's house.

It's The Beatles! They invented Beatlemania, fer chrissakes!

(insert screaming girls here...)

Actually Beatlemania was invented by the media, not the Beatles. As an old friend of mine said this weekend, how many times can you listen to the Beatles after having grown up with the original LPs and singles and heard them played over and over on the radio and everywhere else. I suppose this is exciting on some level.

LouieB

how many times can you listen to the Beatles after having grown up with the original LPs and singles and heard them played over and over on the radio and everywhere else.

This is like that "can God create an object that He himself could not lift?" type of question, right?

With most music, I'm content with downloaded FLACs and JPGs of artwork. But this is the Beatles. I want the discs, the packaging, everything.

I don't know if there's another artist I could say that about.

i was waiting to hear them before buying... but even just hearing the Stereo ones last night... god DAMN.

it's going to be a fun few months rediscovering their catalog all over again in a completely new way. :music

As an old friend of mine said this weekend, how many times can you listen to the Beatles after having grown up with the original LPs and singles and heard them played over and over on the radio and everywhere else.

I completely agree with your friend.

Maybe it's just a function of age, but I have no interest in these new Beatles releases. I first bought the LP's, and then bought some (but not all) of the same music on CD. I'm done. I do love the Beatles, but those songs are so firmly entrenched in my brain that I never have to intentionally listen to them again. It's always nice to hear them on the radio, etc, but enough already.

then i'd argue you're not really that big of a Beatles fan...

honestly, i compared the Ebetts, the '87 CD's, and the original vinyls to these last night and it's just insane how much better and incredible they sound

who cares if they're songs you've heard a million times, it's the fucking BEATLES for god sake.

that'd be like me marrying Scarlett Johannsen and after 20 years of marriage saying "y'know... screwing one of the hottest chicks in the world daily... it's kinda taken it's toll on me... i don't have any interest in it anymore" :P

Yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but come on. These Beatles albums are still better than anything and everything that has ever been put out by anyone. If and when I get tired of them, I put them down. And when I come back to them, I am forced to question why I listen to most of the schlock that I spend most of my time listening to. Part of me thinks that my voracious appetite for new music is really just a voracious appetite to find something that moves me like these Beatles albums move me. As much as I love a band like Wilco, it's not even close. I mean, not even close. And I am sure that Jeff would agree. And that's not even an insult.

Maybe Dylan is on that level (for me). Maybe.

that'd be like me marrying Scarlett Johannsen and after 20 years of marriage saying "y'know... screwing one of the hottest chicks in the world daily... it's kinda taken it's toll on me... i don't have any interest in it anymore" :P

Plus, the Beatles' music has aged a lot better over 40+ years than Scarlett will.

Plus, the Beatles' music has aged a lot better over 40+ years than Scarlett will.

this is true!

Yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but come on. These Beatles albums are still better than anything and everything that has ever been put out by anyone. If and when I get tired of them, I put them down. And when I come back to them, I am forced to question why I listen to most of the schlock that I spend most of my time listening to. Part of me thinks that my voracious appetite for new music is really just a voracious appetite to find something that moves me like these Beatles albums move me. As much as I love a band like Wilco, it's not even close. I mean, not even close. And I am sure that Jeff would agree. And that's not even an insult.

Maybe Dylan is on that level (for me). Maybe.

THIS.

honestly, i compared the Ebetts, the '87 CD's, and the original vinyls to these last night and it's just insane how much better and incredible they sound

who cares if they're songs you've heard a million times, it's the fucking BEATLES for god sake.

Sure I'm a Beatles fan. And if the Beatles were still an ongoing concern, putting out new music, I'd probably be all over it.

But there is no new music. I've been listening to these same songs for almost 50 years.

I've heard these songs so many times that I know every word, every note, every drumbeat, every nuance. I can hear the songs clearly in my head without even having to listen to them.

As I said, enough already. ;)

Sure I'm a Beatles fan. And if the Beatles were still an ongoing concern, putting out new music, I'd probably be all over it.

But there is no new music. I've been listening to these same songs for almost 50 years.

I've heard these songs so many times that I know every word, every note, every drumbeat, every nuance. I can hear the songs clearly in my head without even having to listen to them.

:D

As I said, enough already. ;)

But they actually sound like different songs at times. You can hear instruments you'd never have picked up on before etc... I've got the original mono vinyl - and until i hear the mono remasters, i can safely say that these stereo remasters are the best sounding beatles releases by quite a long way (obviously the mono ones will blow these out the water cos they're better mixes, but still . . . )

Well, hey, look what happened to Halle Berry.

But they actually sound like different songs at times. You can hear instruments you'd never have picked up on before etc... I've got the original mono vinyl - and until i hear the mono remasters, i can safely say that these stereo remasters are the best sounding beatles releases by quite a long way (obviously the mono ones will blow these out the water cos they're better mixes, but still . . . )

yup.

As an old friend of mine said this weekend, how many times can you listen to the Beatles after having grown up with the original LPs and singles and heard them played over and over on the radio and everywhere else.

LouieB

Don't know but I'm certainly not anywhere near being tired of them yet.

--Mike

I'm going to start with the one album that started everything in the world of music for me: The White Album.

My somewhat square parents, whose main musical interested centered on Harry Belafonte and the Kingston Trio, had two Beatles albums in their collection: Sgt. Peppers and The White Album. My five favorite albums as a kid, besides those two Beatles albums, included the Fantasia soundtrack, Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture, and Belafonte Live at Carnegie Hall... But, for me, The White Album was head and shoulders my favorite.

The White Album was the first one I listened to on the first night I smoked a jay. Later, Blackbird was the first song I taught myself on guitar (other than songs I knew the chords to - this one was an actual "guitar song".

When I was 20, and I spent a couple nights in the hoosegow, I killed time by walking in a circle in my cell and singing (in my head) the White Album, beginning to end, several times over, with all the clicks and pops from my parents' vinyl present.

So, yes, I'm psyched. Wish it was being re-released on vinyl too.

When I was 20, and I spent a couple nights in the hoosegow, I killed time by walking in a circle in my cell and singing (in my head) the White Album, beginning to end, several times over, with all the clicks and pops from my parents' vinyl present.

There's a very difficult one to sing: the Cry Baby Cry outro (by Paul). I fail everytime.

Revolution 9 must have been a hoot under those circumstances. ;)