Beatles remasters are here!

Did he notice that the light had changed?

:cheers

Does anyone think of these lines: "I saw a film today, oh boy!/The English Army had just won the war/A crowd of people turned away/but I just had to look/Having read the book" as a reference to John's experience with How I Won The War? The crowd turned away (not a big hit), but he had to look having read the book (script)?

I just kind of always married the lines to the movie, but I don't know if its a reference or not.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tower shipped my mono box today. :dancing

...and Amazon shipped my stereo box today. :dancing

I expect I'll get the stereo one first. I cheaped out on the mono box shipping charges, so it's coming via three-legged burro or something. Could be another week or two before it arrives.

No matter ... I'll have the stereo box to keep me company until then.

I’m wondering how long it will be before the re-re-mastered re-masters are announced and/or released. Probably just in time for Christmas...

your sig isn't big enough.

Beatles for Sale is the only of the early period Beatles that I've heard so far and it's WAY better than the 1987 version. Can't wait to hear all the other early Beatles albums - it doesn't seem possible that I can respect them more than I already do, but here we are.

Guilty as charged. Though, at 30+ pages, could I maybe get a summary?

Asingle seraphic word. You can examine the word with a click, tracingits origins, development, earliest known use, its passage betweenlanguages, and you can summon the word in Sanskrit, Greek, Latin andArabic, in a thousand languages and dialects living and dead, andlocate literary citations, and follow the word through the tunneledunderworld of its ancestral roots …And you can glance out the windowfor a moment, distracted by the sound of small kids playing a made-upgame in a neighbor’s yard, some kind of kickball maybe, and they speakin your voice, or piggy-back races on the weedy lawn, and it’s yourvoice you hear, essentially, under the Gimmerglass sky, and you look atthe things in your room, off-screen, unwebbed, the tissued grain of thedeskwood alive in light, the thick lived tenor of things, the argumentof things to be seen and eaten, the apple core going sepia in the lunchtray, and the dense measure of experience in a random glance, themonk’s candle reflected in the slope of the phone, hours marked inRoman numerals, and the glaze of the wax, and the curl of the braidedwick, and the chipped rim of the mug that holds your yellow pencils,skewed all crazy, and the plied lives of the simplest surface, theslabbed butter melting on the crumbled bun, and the yellow of theyellow of the pencils, and you try to imagine the word on the screenbecoming a thing in the world, taking all its meanings, its sense ofserenities and contentments out into the streets somehow, its whisperof reconciliation, a word extending itself ever outward, the tone ofagreement or treaty, the tone of repose, the sense of mollifyingsilence, the tone of hail and farewell, a word that carries the sunlitardour of an object deep in drenching noon, the argument of bindingtouch, but it’s only a sequence of pulses on a dullish screen and allit can do is make you pensive — a word that spreads a longing throughthe raw sprawl of the city and out across the dreaming bourns andorchards to the solitary hills. Peace. – Don DeLillo, Underworld

So I borrowed a copy of the (supposed) stereo remaster of Revolver - and at 53 seconds in of 'Tomorrow Never Knows', Lennon's voice cuts out at "it is beinggggg", along with some other psychedelic noise that was accompanying him.

I imagine maybe what I have is not the new product, but one of those homemade dealies I've heard so much about in the past few years.

EDIT: Snap! It's on my old CD release, too! Never noticed. Time to check that page of irregularities that was posted a few pages back.

there is a webpage called Beatles anomalies here which picks out all the errors in the beatles recordings, 98% are on the stereo mixes.

Yup.

0:52

"ADT" drops out early, leaving "It is being, It is" in the right ear. At the same moment the organ sound stops.

But not older than me; I was already a teenager.

There is no question that the Beatles albums are better than alot of stuff today, but then again they were better than alot of stuff back then. That's why the Beatles remain so popular and they can remix and resell this stuff over and over.

LouieB

Also, they had cute haircut and all the girls were crying.

VH1 Classics has been airing mad Beatles programming recently. just watched Hard Day's Night and its gotta be the funniest movie ever. "Who's the old man?" "It's Paul's grandfather." haha.

also watched 2/3 of Anthology and am so, so tempted to get these remasters. as of now, i only own the White Album and Rubber Soul both on vinyl. everyone, be sure to post your reviews on here when your remasters arrive!

Yup.

0:52

"ADT" drops out early, leaving "It is being, It is" in the right ear. At the same moment the organ sound stops.

does this mean that you are starting to come around to the idea that the stereo mixes are poorly done (or at least poorly done compared to the mono ones)?

tell you what, it's interesting that all the online reviews i've read have focused on the mono ones - surely that should give the beatles corp. an idea that people DO WANT TO HEAR THESE, and not just diehard fans.

The new issue of Mojo magazine has the entire Abbey Road covered by various artists. Once I got over the fact the it was not the Beatles (which always takes me some time) and listened with an open mind, there is some good stuff on here. Standouts to me are:

Something - Leisure Society

I want you - Robyn Hitchcock

You never give me your money - Glenn Tilbrook with Nine Below Zero

Mean Mr. Mustard/Polythene Pam - Cornershop

Of course, now that I think about it, these were probably the ones the stuck the closest to the Beatles versions. :)

Saw this on Amazon's site today:

Will Amazon.com receive more box sets?

We will receive more stereo box sets. Sign up here to be notified as soon as they are available.

09/02/09 UPDATE: The manufacturer has informed us that they will be producing additional mono box sets due to high demand. While the mono box set will still remain a limited production item, it will no longer be limited to 10,000 copies for the U.S. market, as originally reported.

We will soon have more mono box sets back in stock. Sign up here to be notified as soon as they are available for order. We will likely have limited quantities, so check back here often for the latest information, or check your email frequently to make sure that you don’t miss out.

I've got my own copies coming, but with lossless downloads available, I don't know if I can wait!

Combined, the two sets in FLAC are something like 5½ gigabytes (and that's without scans of the artwork). My drive's running a bit low on space. Maybe I'll wait for my own copies after all. :lol

I've got my own copies coming, but with lossless downloads available, I don't know if I can wait!

Combined, the two sets in FLAC are something like 5½ gigabytes (and that's without scans of the artwork). My drive's running a bit low on space. Maybe I'll wait for my own copies after all. :lol

I'm downloading the mono box set at the moment, but I'm currently playing Revolver in mono, which I picked up first - and it's absolutely brilliant! The louder i wack it up on my stereo (:stunned) the better it sounds. That low piano on Good Day Sunshine really has to be in the middle of the speakers like it does in mono for the song to come alive. That pretty much goes for everything else.