Beatles remasters are here!

I'm listening to somebody's MP3 rip of the mono box, but it's a shitty rip, which completely misses the point of the whole thing. :lol

I had a bit of a chuckle over that myself.

And then I said, "Whaddya want for nuthin'?"

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Now hitting on all 16 cylinders, the Beatles bolted back to the woodshed for The Beatles, a blandly designed masterwork that could inspire any reasonable citizen of California to launch a race war."

:lol

Thanks. It was a good reading.

Anyone read the four albums reviews? Once again, reading the With the Beatles review, it ends saying "it doesn't flow as well as Please Please Me" - and I just can't get this point, since it's the absolute opposite to my ears. Actually With the Beatles has the best flow by a mile. Please Please Me doesn't even have a flow at all, if you ask me!

That is the best thing Klosterman's ever done. So good.

This is just genius:

1967 proved to be a turning point for the Beatles—the overwhelming lack of public interest made touring a fiscal impossibility, subsequently forcing them to focus exclusively on studio recordings. Spearheaded by the increasingly mustachioed Fake Paul, the four Beatles donned comedic Technicolor dreamcoats, consumed 700 sheets of mediocre acid on the roof of the studio, and proceeded to make Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, a groundbreaking album no one actually likes. A concept album about finding a halfway decent song for Ringo, Sgt. Pepper has a few satisfactory moments (“Lovely Rita” totally nails the experience of almost having sex with a city employee), but this is only B+ work.

That is the best thing Klosterman's ever done. So good.

This is just genius:

This was my favorite part (re Sgt Pepper):

"It mostly seems like a slightly superior incarnation of The Rolling Stones’ Their Satanic Majesties Request, a record that (ironically) came out seven months after this one. Pop archivists might be intrigued by this strange parallel between the Beatles and the Stones catalogue—it often seems as if every interesting thing The Rolling Stones ever did was directly preceded by something the Beatles had already accomplished, and it almost feels like the Stones completely stopped evolving once the Beatles broke up in 1970. But this, of course, is simply a coincidence. I mean, what kind of bozo would compare the Beatles to The Rolling Stones?"

What's funny/disturbing/whatever for me about the Klosterman thing is I have my own notes on a parallel universe Beatles Anti-Anthology I thought of writing, which include among other things, the band welcoming Yoko into the studio with open arms. I feel like he wrote this piece just for me. :lol

This was my favorite part (re Sgt Pepper):

"It mostly seems like a slightly superior incarnation of The Rolling Stones’ Their Satanic Majesties Request, a record that (ironically) came out seven months after this one. Pop archivists might be intrigued by this strange parallel between the Beatles and the Stones catalogue—it often seems as if every interesting thing The Rolling Stones ever did was directly preceded by something the Beatles had already accomplished, and it almost feels like the Stones completely stopped evolving once the Beatles broke up in 1970. But this, of course, is simply a coincidence. I mean, what kind of bozo would compare the Beatles to The Rolling Stones?"

Almost posted that myself, before I saw that you beat me to the punch.

just went to best buy to pick up the stone roses remaster and notice they had already started stocking the shelves w/the beatles remaster CD's. they had 3 stereo box sets available and i snagged one!!!!!!!!! listening to revolver now. Now, i need to find me the mono box set!!

just went to best buy to pick up the stone roses remaster and notice they had already started stocking the shelves w/the beatles remaster CD's. they had 3 stereo box sets available and i snagged one!!!!!!!!! listening to revolver now. Now, i need to find me the mono box set!!

Is the stereo set $199 there?

I am not really the begging type, but if someone would be so kind to hook me up or somehow point the way to the mono tracks, they would become my personal hero.

I am not really the begging type, but if someone would be so kind to hook me up or somehow point the way to the mono tracks, they would become my personal hero.

I found a torrent, on a very popular, public, torrent site for the mono box! However.....

ETA: 20d 09hr :(

I have avoided reading much of this thread to try and curb my interest in these. I knew I would want the mono box set, Abbey Road, and Let It Be. I told myself that I really shouldn't be spending this kind of dough right now and figured I'd just spin revolver a few times to forget they were coming out.

I also figured from stuff I heard and poking around the last few days that the mono box set was already out of print anyway. Imagine my surprise to walk into best buy this morning where they had the mono set for sale for $229!

I immediately reviewed my portfolio with my stock broker and decided that funds were present for this purchase.

In simpler terms my credit rating just dropped a few points. Just couldn't pass it up.

I have avoided reading much of this thread to try and curb my interest in these. I knew I would want the mono box set, Abbey Road, and Let It Be. I told myself that I really shouldn't be spending this kind of dough right now and figured I'd just spin revolver a few times to forget they were coming out.

I also figured from stuff I heard and poking around the last few days that the mono box set was already out of print anyway. Imagine my surprise to walk into best buy this morning where they had the mono set for sale for $229!

I immediately reviewed my portfolio with my stock broker and decided that funds were present for this purchase.

In simpler terms my credit rating just dropped a few points. Just couldn't pass it up.

Awsome! I was hoping they would also have the mono box set when i purchased the stereo...but they didn't. I went to 3 diff. best buys and i found 2 that will have at least 2 copies of the mono version tomorrow. hopefully they aren't BS"ing...cause i'm gonna be there early!

Is the stereo set $199 there?

Yep. $199

Various media outlets, magazines, etc., have taken to reviewing each album. Pitchfork's are probably the best. I got my issue of Paste yesterday and it gave C grades for Beatles for Sale and Let it Be, and a B for Sgt. Pepper. Isn't that sacrilegious?

I think Sgt. Pepper has transformed from the most overrated Beatles album to the most underrated.

Various media outlets, magazines, etc., have taken to reviewing each album. Pitchfork's are probably the best. I got my issue of Paste yesterday and it gave C grades for Beatles for Sale and Let it Be, and a B for Sgt. Pepper. Isn't that sacrilegious?

I honestly think Beatles for Sale is massively underrated and a key transitional album. Every Little Thing, What You're Doing, I'll Follow the Sun, and No Reply are all stellar. I Don't Want to Spoil the Party is totally underrated (love the middle 8), Eight Days a Week can go head to head with just about any of their early singles. I'm a Loser and Baby's in Black are good songs, too. A few great covers like Rock and Roll Music and Words of Love (amazing harmonies). A ton of great Rickenbacker 12-string all over this - the Byrds were huge fans and started a band because of it.

Yes, it also has Mr. Moonlight, but all the early albums have one or two crappy covers (i.e. A Taste of Honey, Chains, Devil in Her Heart). I personally think the song is a goofy bit of fun.

Every Beatles album is at least A+ (above is the rank of World Domination, which is to say every other Beatles effort besides Please Please Me).

Paste is just fucking jealous that the Beatles are too good for them.

Heard the mono remix of the title track from Sgt. Peppers and it was noticeably different. I mean, it was still the same damn song, but the mono mix was very cool.