Beatles remasters are here!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just went to amazon.co.uk and it says that the mono set is 'in stock'. Does anyone in the UK know if this is the case or am I going to get a message once I have ordered stating that I am on a waiting list of about 7,000 people waiting for re-stock? Can't believe I left it this late to order :(

Picked up the White Album and Abbey Road (the only remasters they had stocked) at Target last night and received a $5 gift card for my troubles. Not a bad deal.

Didn't notice much about Back in the USSR, other than a louder jet noise, but really noticed the difference in Dear Prudence - more pronounced bass and drums, and the guitar notes seemed more crisp.

I got Abbey Road and Past Masters.

The songs on Past Masters are really all the proof needed as to how great and prolific the Beatles were. Not only are their albums great, but their singles are arguably equally great.

This Boy, I Wanna Hold Your Hand, I Feel Fine, I'm Down....ALL superb. We Can Work It Out and Day Tripper were teamed up on a double-A-side single. Paperback Writer and Rain were paired up. Hey Jude and the rocked-out version of Revolution were put out together.

Their output in 7 years is truly mind-boggling.

How high a bitrate can an iPod push these days? I would rip the best quality possible. If you can do 320 kbps, do it.

I doubt there'd be a noticeable difference in quality at a high enough bitrate. I ripped OGG files of both box sets at an insanely high rate and they sound great.

How high a bitrate can an iPod push these days? I would rip the best quality possible. If you can do 320 kbps, do it.

I doubt there'd be a noticeable difference in quality at a high enough bitrate. I ripped OGG files of both box sets at an insanely high rate and they sound great.

thanks.

I thought IPODS only played MP3, is that not the case? Seems like no matter what, you are going to have a compressed file and lose some signal. I don't actually own an IPOD but was just wondering. Too bad IPOD's can't play FLAC files.

I got Abbey Road and Past Masters.

The songs on Past Masters are really all the proof needed as to how great and prolific the Beatles were. Not only are their albums great, but their singles are arguably equally great.

This Boy, I Wanna Hold Your Hand, I Feel Fine, I'm Down....ALL superb. We Can Work It Out and Day Tripper were teamed up on a double-A-side single. Paperback Writer and Rain were paired up. Hey Jude and the rocked-out version of Revolution were put out together.

Their output in 7 years is truly mind-boggling.

As is the fact that they had done all of it by the time they were 24/25.

I thought IPODS only played MP3, is that not the case?

They don't play OGGs unless you hack them, and that's not exactly recommended (and I don't think a hacked iPod handles high-bitrate OGGs very well anyway).

In addition to MP3s, I think they also play some Apple-y format. M4A or something.

So, if I put these on my iPod, do I lose any quality?

if you've got FLAC, and you want to keep the same quality, maybe you should convert them to WAV using FlacFrontend - it's free, if you just search google. it's what i did to burn the mono flac album to cd without having to worry about finding plugins for my burning software. the one thing is that WAV are pretty massive files - so it depends on how much space you want to use up on your iPod.

if you've got FLAC, and you want to keep the same quality, maybe you should convert them to WAV using FlacFrontend - it's free, if you just search google. it's what i did to burn the mono flac album to cd without having to worry about finding plugins for my burning software. the one thing is that WAV are pretty massive files - so it depends on how much space you want to use up on your iPod.

Like Kyle (solace) said, if you convert the wavs to Apple Lossless, you won't lose any quality (why it's called "lossless") and you will have some compression. I think the compression ratios between Flacs and Apple Lossless are about the same, too, both around 60%.