Beatles remasters are here!

Okay, perhaps 'useless' is going too far. I just listened the A Hard Day's Night (album) in both mono and stereo...there's something to be said about the mono version - the vocals on the stereo version sound doubled up and kind of annoying.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, so Ballad ... and Old Brown Shoe were only stereo?

I love how the mono cds sound on my stereo, but I agree it sounds a bit weird on my headphones. So, I sort of agree with SirS/VC. The only thing that I can think of to explain it is that my two stereo speakers give a better mono-sounding image in the room, but since my headphones are directly over my ears, it gives this weird "middle of your head" effect that was referenced above.

Also, there's a stereo nuance to the mono on my stereo speakers. If that makes any sense. it doesnt sound as if everything is coming right out of the center. I can hear bits on the right and bits on the left. Even though it's in mono.

I love how the mono cds sound on my stereo, but I agree it sounds a bit weird on my headphones. So, I sort of agree with SirS/VC. The only thing that I can think of to explain it is that my two stereo speakers give a better mono-sounding image in the room, but since my headphones are directly over my ears, it gives this weird "middle of your head" effect that was referenced above.

Also, there's a stereo nuance to the mono on my stereo speakers. If that makes any sense. it doesnt sound as if everything is coming right out of the center. I can hear bits on the right and bits on the left. Even though it's in mono.

yeah, but Stereo through headphones isn't proper stereo either really. You're getting the left only in your left ear and the right only in your right, whereas in real life (people with normal hearing hear things in stereo) we hear the sound in both ears still. So stereo through speakers means you still get the left channel in your right ear, and vice versa - which you don't get when you have headphones on. Therefore the mono mix through headphones is still the most accurate mix - as nobody mixes music, even now, with headphones on - so the stereo sound you get when you play the music in this manner is not as the mix was intended to sound.

edit: i just read that back and it kind of makes sense - but, i think maybe i could have worded it all slightly better. :stunned hope you get the jist, at least.

yeah, but Stereo through headphones isn't proper stereo either really. You're getting the left only in your left ear and the right only in your right, whereas in real life (people with normal hearing hear things in stereo) we hear the sound in both ears still. So stereo through speakers means you still get the left channel in your right ear, and vice versa - which you don't get when you have headphones on. Therefore the mono mix through headphones is still the most accurate mix - as nobody mixes music, even now, with headphones on - so the stereo sound you get when you play the music in this manner is not as the mix was intended to sound.

edit: i just read that back and it kind of makes sense - but, i think maybe i could have worded it all slightly better. :stunned hope you get the jist, at least.

Yeah, I get what you are saying. I guess my point is that neither mix was intended to be listened to on a nice pair of headphones in my apartment in 2009. So, the mono mix is certainly the way it was intended to sound, but it was intended to sound that way through your car stereo. Or your turntable. Back in 1965.

And, I think that listening to these mono mixes through my stereo, instead of my headphones, gets me to something that sounds better to these ears.

Joss, since you seem to be the mono mix expert, is it weird that the mono mix through my stereo gives off nuance of stereo? In that I hear minor nuances panned right and/or left in the image?

I think Rubber Soul is my least favorite Beatles album. I like all the songs, love most of them, but as a whole, it falls to the bottom of the list. I've always sort of believed this, but revisiting all the releases this past week has confirmed it. The only real other contender would be With The Beatles.

Is this a whole other Beatles thread? :D

Yeah, I get what you are saying. I guess my point is that neither mix was intended to be listened to on a nice pair of headphones in my apartment in 2009. So, the mono mix is certainly the way it was intended to sound, but it was intended to sound that way through your car stereo. Or your turntable. Back in 1965.

And, I think that listening to these mono mixes through my stereo, instead of my headphones, gets me to something that sounds better to these ears.

Joss, since you seem to be the mono mix expert, is it weird that the mono mix through my stereo gives off nuance of stereo? In that I hear minor nuances panned right and/or left in the image?

no, it's not weird at all. on the first few albums geroge martin actually recorded on 2 tracks which he used for the stereo, but he also put them together for the mono mixes, which made them have a slight stereo effect. and obviously with later albums the way they bounced down the tracks and then mixed on 4 tracks etc... meant that the final mix had the depth of stereo without actually being stereo.

this is all slightly different from how phil spector or atlantic records etc... got their mono sound - they would only record on 1 track, with everything live in the studio. and, for example, when otis redding recorded in stereo for the first time, they had a mono machine first in the recording chain, and then also attached a stereo machine to capture a stereo mix, whilst they were still only playing the music live in the first place.

that's probably confused you even more!

I think Rubber Soul is my least favorite Beatles album. I like all the songs, love most of them, but as a whole, it falls to the bottom of the list.

Is this true for both the U.K. and U.S. tracklistings?

Personally, I like the U.S. version of the album a bit better.

I think Rubber Soul is my least favorite Beatles album. I like all the songs, love most of them, but as a whole, it falls to the bottom of the list. I've always sort of believed this, but revisiting all the releases this past week has confirmed it. The only real other contender would be With The Beatles.

Is this a whole other Beatles thread? :D

I agree. It's not bad by any measure, but a lot of the songs sound 'hoaky.'

Run For Your Life really ends it on a bad note to me. If I Needed Someones is so beautiful.

quick question. for those of you with the new Past Masters, does Get Back sound a little fuzzy on your speakers? not sure if that's how its supposed to sound or not. i have a few of the remasters and they all sound great except for this song and its one of my fav Beatles songs :ohwell

Is this true for both the U.K. and U.S. tracklistings?

Personally, I like the U.S. version of the album a bit better.

yeah, the US versions begins with "I've Just Seen a Face"...one of my fav's.

yeah, the US versions begins with "I've Just Seen a Face"...one of my fav's.

My sole objection to the U.S. version is that it's only 29 minutes long. ;)

I've never been a big fan of "Drive My Car," so its absence on the U.S. version is a positive for me.

My sole objection to the U.S. version is that it's only 29 minutes long. ;)

I've never been a big fan of "Drive My Car," so its absence on the U.S. version is a positive for me.

i agree...drive my car is one of my least favorite beatles songs. 'yesterday and today' was the very first beatles album i owned...remember getting it for xmas when i was a kid.

Do I hear the rumblings of a consensus on my take on Rubber Soul?

"Drive My Car" - Nice bouncy tune, but shows evidence of the band's growing pains. Not quite here or there, and not a proper opener for an album that contains "In My Life".

"Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)" - Brilliant. Second track perfection.

"You Won't See Me" - Brilliant. Only quibble is we should have more grooving before the fade out.

"Nowhere Man" - The a cappella intro bugs me to this day. Besides that, a great tune, with Lennon adding to the foundation (wall?) he started to build with the song "Help!"

"Think for Yourself" - Rockin'. George unleashed!

"The Word" - Another great groove, maybe the best on the album.

"Michelle" - Umm. Stupidest Beatles song?

"What Goes On" - Dull & ordinary. Though I find it in my head a lot. Damn you Ringo!

"Girl" - This one's alright, though a little too sophomoric lyrically. On its own, strong, but doesn't quite beef up the album like it should.

"I'm Looking Through You" - A bit pedestrian, but does what it needs to do. Not the best tune on the album, but a worthy rocker.

"In My Life" - Flat out brilliant genius best song ever.

"Wait" - Another great one. The album could use more of these.

"If I Needed Someone" - Love it.

"Run for Your Life" - Oh, wait. This is the stupidest Beatles song.

I just cranked up "Helter Skelter" in mono. All the hairs on my arms are still standing up. Wow.

The weird thing with the mono vs. stereo is that some tracks sound better in mono, and some just don't. I think Magical Mystery Tour in mono sounds simply dull. I realize the arguments, but they really did do a good job mixing these in stereo back in the day, whether the and was involved or not. The stereo effects on many songs simply add an whole other dimention to the tracks.

I just cranked up "Helter Skelter" in mono. All the hairs on my arms are still standing up. Wow.

The weird thing with the mono vs. stereo is that some tracks sound better in mono, and some just don't. I think Magical Mystery Tour in mono sounds simply dull. I realize the arguments, but they really did do a good job mixing these in stereo back in the day, whether the and was involved or not. The stereo effects on many songs simply add an whole other dimention to the tracks.

The stereo mixes we are hearing now were done by George Martin in the 1980s.