Beatles remasters are here!

why don't you like Holland so much, though? that just sounds so fresh and modern to me.

Don't hate it - I just never listen it to it much. Tom Petty's liner notes are funny in the last re-issue. I forgot to mention Live in London, (or Beach Boys '69 as it was called when I was a kid) and The Beach Boys in Concert - good stuff. The other day, I snagged something called Smile Era Studio Party - interesting to listen to - once anyhow.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

alright.

pet sounds, sunflower, surf's up, love you, holland (my favourite!), friends (second favourite!), smiley smile, 20/20, carl & the passions "so tough"

people will say probably carl & passions is not very good, or smiley smile, for example - but i could say the same for let it be. the bigger point is that they are all proper albums wihtout filler. if a band produced those albums today people would be raving about them. i could also have included today! or summer days (and summer nights) in the list too, but they have 1 or 2 tracks that are a bit filler-like.

i haven't gone past Sunflower/Surf's Up.

everything i heard past the era on the BB box set i have doesn't sound too great to me.

i think several of those you mentioned could be quite good albums if you cut a track or two though.

Brian was only writing one or two songs for some of those though - usually the best ones of course.

I listened to Beatles for Sale today for the first time in awhile. It's amazing how much better they are than everyone else. When I go a long stretch without listening to them, and then I listen to them, I have a hard time remembering why I waste so much time listening to the other crap I listen to. Even the crap that I think is good.

I listened to Beatles for Sale today for the first time in awhile. It's amazing how much better they are than everyone else. When I go a long stretch without listening to them, and then I listen to them, I have a hard time remembering why I waste so much time listening to the other crap I listen to. Even the crap that I think is good.

yes.

they're one of those groups so overrated that they're underrated.

i use to disregard their early stuff, but if you're a musician/songwriter you realize how inventive they were with chord changes, etc. from the very beginning.

on those early albums - was it their choice to do that many covers or did they not have enough originals?

i think most of those were pub staples for them so maybe they just did it to get something quick.

Hard Days Night - that's a special one for me - the first with all originals.

on those early albums - was it their choice to do that many covers or did they not have enough originals?

i think most of those were pub staples for them so maybe they just did it to get something quick.

Hard Days Night - that's a special one for me - the first with all originals.

All the British Invasion bands covered American rock and roll songs - it was not the norm for them to write their own material. This is one of the things The Beatles and The Stones changed - along with emphasizing the album over the single.

I could spend all day talking about the various little things in early Beatles songs that give me chills. I have no problem saying the early stuff was as good as the later stuff.

We agree on the important things in life, bobbob, that's for sure.

When my wife and I were first dating, we were in my room talking and it came out that she liked The Beatles, just not 'the older stuff' all that much, because it wasn't as good as say, 'Abbey Road', at which time I leapt to my stereo to queue up 'I Want To Hold Your Hand', then I grabbed her and we danced like maniacs the whole way through. It's a favorite moment of hers - she recounts it whenever The Beatles come up in mixed company.

Link

The Beatles

SWBO-101

Ah, two whole albums of Beatles music! The story (according to Beatles Book #66) is that Capitol had treated the whole album to compression and limiting, but that George Harrison discovered this and attempted to undo their treatment. On "Cry Baby Cry," you can detect a "bad spot" (at "by the children") where something went wrong in the process.

The album featured a stark white cover with raised letters: "The Beatles." There was print only on the spine (title and catalog number) and on the back cover (one word: "stereo"). The UK issue opened from the top; the US issue took a more standard approach by opening from the side. Inside were goodies: a poster with lyrics on one side and four color photos (slightly smaller than the UK issue). There was also a tissue paper to keep the photos from being damaged. The UK issue featured black sleeves which were not included here.

This record was the first Beatles album release on their new label, Apple, and the record labels indicated that the album was manufactured by Capitol but issued by Apple. Finally, the albums were numbered, with each factory numbering differently. There were reportedly 12 copies of #1 (I know of two), and they numbered over 3,200,000 of them. Collecting variations in numbering style can be an interesting sideline.

Another variation, usually not noticed, deals with the "banding" of the album. When Sgt. Pepper was released in England, the tracks were not separated (banded), but they ran all together. The US album WAS banded. When this album was released, apparently there was considerable sweat over whether the album should be banded: you'll find some copies banded and others unbanded. Even copies pressed at the same factory differ in this way.

If it came down to it, and I had to choose the Beatles or everyone else, it'd be a very difficult decision.

That's probably the easiest decision I would make in my existence. Not as a rag on anyone/everyone else, but if it were humanity or the Beatles, I would pick the Beatles virtually every time.

When my wife and I were first dating, we were in my room talking and it came out that she liked The Beatles, just not 'the older stuff' all that much, because it wasn't as good as say, 'Abbey Road', at which time I leapt to my stereo to queue up 'I Want To Hold Your Hand', then I grabbed her and we danced like maniacs the whole way through. It's a favorite moment of hers - she recounts it whenever The Beatles come up in mixed company.

:worship