Beatles remasters are here!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure this has been covered at some point in the past (maybe even in this thread), but searching for "love" is futile. Anyway, what are people's thoughts on "Love" the Cirque du Soleil soundtrack? I saw the show in Vegas in its first month so went in knowing virtually nothing about it. I was blown away. I think it was handled about as well as it could have been. It really is a losing proposition. Those that feel the songs should never be messed with are going to say they were messed with too much and those that like the mash-up approach will say they didn't go far enough. I happen to think they struck a pretty good balance and the songs were still quintessentially "the Beatles" but also managed to make songs I'd heard a thousand times before sound fresh. I also had the advantage of hearing them for the first time set to the show. The remastering job is also impressive and makes me anxious to hear a similar remastering of the original albums. If you haven't seen the show, I highly recommend it. It is definitely more about the music than other Cirque shows.

I'm sure this has been covered at some point in the past (maybe even in this thread), but searching for "love" is futile. Anyway, what are people's thoughts on "Love" the Cirque du Soleil soundtrack? I saw the show in Vegas in its first month so went in knowing virtually nothing about it. I was blown away. I think it was handled about as well as it could have been. It really is a losing proposition. Those that feel the songs should never be messed with are going to say they were messed with too much and those that like the mash-up approach will say they didn't go far enough. I happen to think they struck a pretty good balance and the songs were still quintessentially "the Beatles" but also managed to make songs I'd heard a thousand times before sound fresh. I also had the advantage of hearing them for the first time set to the show. The remastering job is also impressive and makes me anxious to hear a similar remastering of the original albums. If you haven't seen the show, I highly recommend it. It is definitely more about the music than other Cirque shows.

I like the cd. It sounds fresh. It would be cool if the remasters had a version that stayed true to the originals and a version that took some liberties and some chances. Instead we'll probably just get stereo and mono versions.

Negotiations to put Beatles on iTunes stalled

By The Associated Press

November 25, 2008 9:39 AM

LONDON - Paul McCartney says negotiations on a long-awaited deal to make the Beatles' catalog available on the online music service iTunes have stalled.

"The last word I got back was it's stalled at the whole moment, the whole process," the former Beatle said Monday. "I really hope it will happen because I think it should."

McCartney, who was speaking at the launch of his new album, Electric Arguments, added: "It's between EMI and the Beatles, I think."

The band's holding company, Apple Corps Ltd., has so far declined to allow the Fab Four's music on any Internet music service, including iTunes. The situation has been exacerbated by a long-running trademark dispute between Apple Corps and Apple Inc., which owns iTunes

Fuck iTunes, release the remastered discs!

would these put on iTunes be the remastered ones?

since a huge bit of the Beatles audience would be older, i think they'd buy a lot more physical copies.

I saw the show last Spring - I had owned the CD for a while. The show was really really great, and I love the mash-ups, especially Drive My Car->The Word->What You're Doing + Taxman guitar solo + Savoy Truffle horns. And the drums from Tomorrow Never Knows fit SO perfectly with Within you Without you.

How come?

I dont know the first thing about it, so I should probably just keep my mouth shut. I have an image in my head of what it was. And if the reality even came close to matching what that image is, there's no way that John and George would have allowed it.

(Like I said, I don't know the first thing about it, so I am sure someone will now post a link to a 1968 interview with John and George where they both say that they look forward to the music being redone and set to an overproduced circus. It's also entirely possible that the show itself was tastefully done and excellent. Like I said, I have no idea, but I am going to pass judgment anyway. :lol )

I dont know the first thing about it, so I should probably just keep my mouth shut. I have an image in my head of what it was. And if the reality even came close to matching what that image is, there's no way that John and George would have allowed it.

(Like I said, I don't know the first thing about it, so I am sure someone will now post a link to a 1968 interview with John and George where they both say that they look forward to the music being redone and set to an overproduced circus. It's also entirely possible that the show itself was tastefully done and excellent. Like I said, I have no idea, but I am going to pass judgment anyway. :lol )

Actually your premonition is right - the idea started with George and one of the founders of Cirque - they were friends.

Unless it was Rolling Stones Rock n Roll Circus?

Or something based solely on Being For the Benefit of Mr. Kite? :cheers

Dude, come on. Really? So he wrote a song based on a poster he saw for a circus and that is supposed to be some sort of evidence that he would have signed off on this? Look, I fully expect someone to post evidence proving me wrong here, but you are going to have to do better than THAT.

EDIT: In the interests of full disclosure, I am also pretty sure that John would have sneered at the release of the Anthology and Free as a Bird too (and I love both dearly). So I am being a bit of a hypocrite on top of being a snob.

Dude, come on. Really? So he wrote a song based on a poster he saw for a circus and that is supposed to be some sort of evidence that he would have signed off on this? Look, I fully expect someone to post evidence proving me wrong here, but you are going to have to do better than THAT.

EDIT: In the interests of full disclosure, I am also pretty sure that John would have sneered at the release of the Anthology and Free as a Bird too (and I love both dearly). So I am being a bit of a hypocrite on top of being a snob.

Sorry - there wasn't a "facetious" smiley option to choose from...

I wasn't offering those as "proof", but they're convenient examples of evidence towards the argument of John being into circuses.

Sorry - there wasn't a "facetious" smiley option to choose from...

I wasn't offering those as "proof", but they're convenient examples of evidence towards the argument of John being into circuses.

Battle of the black and white avatars!

So they make it sound all good and then sell it as downgraded files?

ha.

Brilliant, isn't it?

Plus the idea that anyone can KNOW what a guy who died nearly 28 years ago would want is silly.

Haha, of course. I hope it was clear that I was just having a bit of fun with this.

Here is an interesting article about the origin story...

Thanks. Interesting how George Martin sort of evades the question (about whether John would approve).

So they make it sound all good and then sell it as downgraded files?

ha.

This travesty is much more worthy of discussing than my playful and admittedly stupid foray into slagging off on Love: the Circus!!