Congrats to President-Elect OBAMA

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm so upbeat, that even the media's need to focus on president elect black guy versus president elect OBAMA isn't bugging me.

a proud day. i'm proud to live in chicago(land)...proud to be born and raised in illinois...proud of my vote...and proud to be able to say i'm proud to be an american w/out the polarizing lee greenwood overtones.

now, we can go back to arguing about god, wilco and baseball.

Doesn't look like 60 will happen. Maybe another 25 in the House. Hmmm.

I was a latecomer to the rally tonight and barely made it for Obama's speech but the atmosphere was INCREDIBLE. My friends and I left my place when Obama's total hit 207 and were only halfway to Grant Park when the train conductor got on the speakers and announced that Obama had just won. Insane!

What an amazing historic night. Being American history grad students, we all bought buttons from street vendors specifically commemorating the "history" aspect! :lol But seriously, we were all so proud to be a part of it: me the born-and-raised third generation Chicagoan, Pete the Republican-turned-more-liberal from Pennsylvania who broke family tradition and voted for Obama, and Emily from Arizona who voted for McCain but I still love her anyway.

I laughed, screamed, and cried in Grant Park and danced all the way down Michigan Ave amidst throngs of people. This was the most inspiring (and surreal) night of my life and I will never, ever forget it.

(sorry I didn't end up seeing you, Kim)

I laughed, screamed, and cried in Grant Park and danced all the way down Michigan Ave amidst throngs of people. This was the most inspiring (and surreal) night of my life and I will never, ever forget it.

(sorry I didn't end up seeing you, Kim)

I did that stuff too!! (next time :cheekkiss)

Here's a button I bought:

IMG_3984.jpg

When my first child is born in a few weeks, he'll be born into a world of infinite possibilities. I'm not African-American, I'm Irish-American. But if a black man can get elected to the most powerful office in the world, in a country where those with his ethnicity were enslaved in recent history, then not only will my son grow up with an unprecedented perspective in regard to minorities, but also with the knowledge that he can do whatever he wants.

Sorry for the sentimentality - but if I can't vent here, where can I

Looks like North Carolina is also blue which will raise Obama's electoral vote total to 364. If Missouri goes blue (it is still a dead heat) the Electoral total will be 375. Both states were once slave states, of course. ;)

When my first child is born in a few weeks, he'll be born into a world of infinite possibilities. I'm not African-American, I'm Irish-American. But if a black man can get elected to the most powerful office in the world, in a country where those with his ethnicity were enslaved in recent history, then not only will my son grow up with an unprecedented perspective in regard to minorities, but also with the knowledge that he can do whatever he wants.

:thumbup

beautiful night, beautiful park in a beautiful city filled with the most beautiful people. I was quite tearful, hugging my neighbors, making friends, and just awash with joy.

The only thing that would have made it perfect was to have our Emily with us. I miss her so much.

WE DID IT!!!

:cheers

one of my favorite sights was standing on the Congress Ave. bridge watching the "parade" down Michigan Ave. surreal.....wonderful!

peace.

Congrats from a concerned neighbour to the north! :worship As goes America, so goes the world, or something along those lines, so I'm really glad the right man for his time and place won tonight. :worship

The Canadian perspective, from the CBC: Members of both the ruling Conservative party, and the opposition Liberals gathered at separate events across Ottawa to watch the results roll in.

"Most [of us] are leaning towards Obama," one Conservative staffer said before the election was called. "But still the general overall thought, I think for us, is that either [one] is better than George W."

One Liberal suggested the Democrat's win would ease criticism of the Conservatives, who have been dogged by accusations their views share an unpopular alignment with those of current U.S. President George W. Bush.

"We can't play the Bush card on them anymore," the Liberal said, asking not to be quoted by name.

:cheekkiss

61% of the Hispanic vote in AZ went to Barack.

This is for you Chrissie!

Uh huh! :wub :wub :wub :wub :wub :wub

We need Miss Chris to break down MO CNN MO map

Look at this map! Obama won in only 8 counties out of 115, but looks to have lost the the state by a mere 6000 votes.

(My prediction most probably did not come true, but still.)

I went to bed pretty early, but Sarah came in at about 10 and said in the same voice she used on Christmas morning when Santa had come, "Mama, Barack Obama is our president. :wub"

Massive congratulations and deeply deeply heartfelt thanks from the rest of the world to you guys for restoring our faith in the greatest democracy on the planet. I can't describe how happy I am for you and for us all - the world is a better and brighter place because of Obama. It really is a truly momentous day. I believe people round the world will start to respect and love Americans again.

I haven't posted on this forum for a long long time for various reasons (different user name/different world!) but you guys here were the first people I thought of when I woke up this morning and saw the news so I just had to stop by and do this :cheekkiss :cheekkiss :cheekkiss :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :dancing :dancing :dancing :dancing

Four years ago on the day of the last election after an amazing few days in Chicago watching the Wilco Halloween shows I flew home sporting a vote Kerry button - hoping when I landed back in England the days of GWB would be over. Sadly they weren't. But that's history now thank god.

America and Obama we thank you from the bottom of our hearts. It's a bright new dawn for everyone :worship :worship :worship

Well, the guy I wanted to win, won, so I suppose in that regard I'm happy

to be part of the back slapping majority for a change. Still, if I never voted

again where I live it would never change the outcome of the election here;

l live firmly in a blue state. Just the same, I don't quite share the enthusiasm

that this signifies enormous change for us. I'm a more cautious wait and see type.

More telling than the ass kicking in the electoral college is the percentage

split on the popular vote....52% to 47%....we're still just this side or that

side of the middle. Significant social change is necessary and the new

administration has a small window to do things that will help push us that way

before things slow down and folks start politicking again for the mid-term elections.

The economy is still effed; we're still fighting two wars; we have huge health

care, poverty and environmental issues. So out with the awful old, and in with

the new and while I'm skeptical that our political system is capable of actually

fixing our problems it's what we got for now.