MLB 2008-09 Hot Stove League

I don't think they will. I think the most they offer him will be a 2-year contract and he will be in a limited role (2-3 games/week). BOS really needs to trade him for a younger catcher. I've heard the Tigers might be interested in trading I-Rod (not really younger) and that the Orioles' Ramon Hernandez and the Giants' Bengie Molina are being tossed around (again, not really younger).

I've also heard that.

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jake Peavy and K Rod are the keys to the offseason, the Phillies just showed how important it is to have a great closer, if the right team gets K Rod it could make them a WS contender.

Shhhh....closers are overrated!

Does Tek have 3 years left? Maybe two as a .230 hitting catcher, he really has nothing to prove and should walk away while he can still walk

Offensively he didn't have 3 years left 4 years ago. But that's my guy feeling. I don't like it. Maybe Lammy's right though - limited role. But he does have Boras on his side, remember.

EDIT: I meant gut, not guy. But it's too ridiculous to fix.

Pudge/I Rod what have you is a Yankee right now

Gah! Of course- I mean they have interest (supposedly) in I-rod (NYY) as well as interest in trading him to DET. Sorry.

I do like Laird, though why would they need 'Tek?

Gah! Of course- I mean they have interest (supposedly) in I-rod (NYY) as well as interest in trading him to DET. Sorry.

I do like Laird, though why would they need 'Tek?

why would who need Tek?

Yes Laird is underrated, not amazing or an all star but solid

He's a free agent.

this is correct

I wish I could agree but look at the last few WS champions...

Phillies-Lidge

Red Sox-Papelbon

Cards-Wainright (who was great as the closer when Izzy got hurt)

Ch Sox-Bobby Jenks

you need that hammer in the 9th

I feel love for the closer but some have viewed the closer position as an overrated position. I really don't want to stir up the debate yet again so we'll leave it at that?

I'd say that everyone would agree that great teams usually need one or two great relief guys--probably more. '05 White Sox, for instance, also had Politte and Cotts (who bath had tremendous years).

The closer argument is really about whether you need to have your best reliever in that role--or if he could be more of a freelancer.

The closer argument is really about whether you need to have your best reliever in that role--or if he could be more of a freelancer.

I agree with the "argument" being centered on this point, but I don't necessarily see an overrated tag being applied due to $ paid to the closer if the value to the team is that of sound mind knowing the guy can close games out on a very consistent basis.

Shhhh....closers are overrated!

Brad Lidge in 06: 5.28 ERA, 32 saves

Brad Lidge in 07: 3.36 ERA, 19 saves

Brad Lidge salary in 2008: 6.35 million

My point? No need to give K-Rod a 15 million a year deal. Lidge was a scrap heap type of pick up and now he's a dominant closer. The Marlins have gotten 30+ saves from Kevin Gregg, Todd Jones, Armando Benitez, and Joe Borowski, all of whom were worth absolutely nothing before they got them.

Is the 184th best pitcher in baseball at not allowing base runners worth 15 million a year because he gets a lot of saves?

Dear Santa:

Same wish again this year. Either Angelos sells the O's or world peace. Pick one. This is the same wish I've had for 10+ years and you keep holding out on me. WTF is wrong with you, you sadistic bastard?? I love you and I still believe in you, Santa. Don't let me down.

love,

q23

Almost every day, the lawyers in the office (we rent space from them) and I have a big overwrought discussion about how to get rid of Peter Angelos.

RHP Leo Nunez to KC for FLA's 1B Mike Jacobs

DET passes on Renteria's $12 M buy-out option

Macha to be named MIL manager:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Headlines.aspx?sport=MLB

the same Ken Macha who couldnt get to the World Series or even the ALCS with Tim Hudson, Barry Zito, Mark Mulder, Ted Lilly, Keith Foulke, Eric Chavez, and Miguel Tejada all in their primes? Really Brewers? What Art Howe didnt want the job?

Macha took OAK to the ALCS in 2006. He also had a decent win percentage in OAK and led them to two AL West titles. The other two strong candidates are said to have been Bob Brenly and Willie Randolph.

But yes, he has fallen short of the mark as a manager, and there have been mumblings before about his relationship with players.