MLB 2008-09 Hot Stove League

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The talk in New York is all that the Mets are going to pursue a cheaper option than K-Rod, who thinks he warrants Mariano Rivera type money. (He does not.) Mets are also said to have wood for Derek Lowe, who pitches a lot of innings. No one is predicting Oliver Perez being signed by the Mets.

And, the Mets have signed Tatis to a one-year deal. OK.

If my Rangers can end up with Ben Sheets or AJ Burnett and either one is healthy and can get like 25-30 stars next years the Rangers can contend for the wild card, Id also love to get Joe Crede or Casey Blake to play 3rd, a good left handed set up guy like Jeremy Affeldt, and maybe a CF so they can move Josh Hamilton to RF...maybe like Mark Kotsay

Id be shocked if the Mets resign Perez, someone will overpay for him and give him a 3-4 year deal

Sabathia better than Johan? Wow tough call, I think I take Johan based on his nasty changeup but its very close

Well, they played in the same division for many years (pitching to basically the same batters) and Santana is better in almost every statistical category.

Santana>Sabathia, which is what I will tell my Yankees fan friends after they sign CC.

Johan and CC are probably the only pitchers under 30 with a decent shot at 300 wins, CC has 117 wins at 28 years old which is a pretty good pace, if he stays in good shape he has a shot, you have to worry about CC's weight at some point though

Johan is a little behind that pace, he will be 30 on opening day in 2009 and has 109 wins, Johan wasnt a full time starter until he was 25 though, CC was in Clevelands rotation when he was 20, what Johan has done the last 5 years though has been incredible in this day and age, he is far and away the best pitcher in baseball IMHO, I might even take Roy Halladay over CC

Don't forget their (former) division-mate, Mark Buerhle. He will be 30 in March and has 122 wins. If he stays in shape he might be able to throw soft crap forever, like Maddux and Moyer.

Buehrle has a decent shot, I would worry about his IP though the last few years but I could see him making a run as well especially with the stuff he has, he should end up well over 200 unless he gets seriously hurt

SI's Top 50 Free Agents and a blurb on each:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ...?eref=fannation

21 Casey Blake Age: 35 Position: 3B Current Team: Dodgers Best Fit: Indians Sub-par defensively and just average with the bat for his position, but he's a great guy to have around, and he'll probably be paid better than that. Indians G.M. Mark Shapiro would undoubtedly like to have him back after renting him to the Dodgers for a couple of months.

Hehe...we want the Blakeinator back! I'm serious. He's a chill dude and the clubhouse improves because of it. It also relieves some stress on the infield, providing some flexibility (e.g. Asdrubal Cabrera, Peralta).

"The Brewers have within the past day or so presented a multiyear offer to superstar free-agent pitcher CC Sabathia that is believed to be in the $100-million range."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/base...thia/index.html

NYY sign Mitre to 1 yr deal:

Rays decline Floyd's buy-out:

Brewers to keep Cameron at $10 m for next season:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines...B&hl=251606

Braves need pitching. Sheets or Peavy would be great.

Burrell to Rays? I don't see this happening.

I can't get into this today or my head will explode.

MLB Trade Rumors:

2:59pm: It seems that LaRue was saying both Crisp and Greene are available, not that one was offered for the other. So, scratch the Crisp for Greene rumor.

I would like to see Peavy come to Atlanta but it looks like a Khalil Greene for Yunel Escobar swap would be part of it. I like Yunel, and I think he's only going to get better. Maybe a three team deal will come together.

Then again, I've read that Peavy doesn't want to come to Atlanta and wants to go to the Dodgers.

Thanks for letting get my mind off of the election for a minute.

The Tacoma News Tribune's Larry LaRue believes the Red Sox are offering Coco Crisp to the Padres for Khalil Greene.

LaRue has admitted it was a mistake and actually involved two separate issues. No grounds to this rumor.