MLB 2008-09 Hot Stove League

Not the "Teixeira to Boston" post I was hoping for.

do you really want teixeira?

is that the missing piece for the red sox? i would want an OF instead and save some money for pitching help but maybe I am simply transferring my cubs angst.

either way, good luck.

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you really want teixeira?

is that the missing piece for the red sox? i would want an OF instead and save some money for pitching help but maybe I am simply transferring my cubs angst.

I don't think it's a matter of a "missing piece," but rather that he is available and would make pretty much any club a better club. For that alone he's desirable. In terms of $/pitching, BOS is doing pretty well in the pitcher category and will likely add to it regardless of a Texeireia signing or not.

OF? Doing well there, too.

If someone is going to land him and that someone is in the AL then I'd prefer BOS to land him.

I don't think it's a matter of a "missing piece," but rather that he is available and would make pretty much any club a better club. For that alone he's desirable. In terms of $/pitching, BOS is doing pretty well in the pitcher category and will likely add to it regardless of a Texeireia signing or not.

OF? Doing well there, too.

If someone is going to land him and that someone is in the AL then I'd prefer BOS to land him.

understood. what would boston's total salary figure for 2009 be with texiera? $250 million?

Teixiera is worth it, or at least is as much of guarantee of worth as anyone. It looks like the stoopid Yankees are going to sign Ramirez, though.

John Henry says Boston "will not be a factor" in race for Teixera.

Huh.

Red Sox owner John Henry e-mailed several media members late tonight with a stunning twist in the team's pursuit of free-agent first baseman Mark Teixeira.

Henry's words: "We met with Mr. Teixeira and were very much impressed with him. After hearing about his other offers, however, it seems clear that we are not going to be a factor."

Earlier tonight, multiple news outlets reported the Red Sox had traveled to Texas to meet with Teixeira and his agent, Scott Boras, in the hopes of trying to finalize a deal. WCVB-TV Channel 5 reported that the Red Sox had offered Teixeira an eight-year deal worth $184 million (an average of $23 million per season).

Just calling Boras' bluff, I'd wager.

Well, Boras' response was in agreement and explained that Tex is now whittling down teams so his choice is easier next week. So unless they're both bluffing us, I'd say the Sox are out.

On MLB's Free Agent Frenzy, I picked him staying with the Angels, but my gut says the Nationals. My gut also has strong feelings about pizza and calamari so who knows.

Well, Boras' response was in agreement and explained that Tex is now whittling down teams so his choice is easier next week. So unless they're both bluffing us, I'd say the Sox are out.

Oh come on. Boras (and his clients) is never going to shut a team out. The one with the biggest contract wins in the end.

I wouldn't count BOS out and think there may be people playing the press game on both sides, not just Boras' side for a change. I doubt Teixeira has gotten offers that Boras claims he will merit (about $26 MM/yr) and the price may very well come down in the near future, which means BOS is right back in the thick of it. It's just your typical cat and mouse game but with John Henry playing publicly.

I'm not usually one to wish ill on others, but honestly, baseball would really be far better off without the likes of Scott Boras. How come this hasn't happened yet?

You don't like capitalism, move to North Korea. Plenty of snow there.

OH SNAP!

:cheekkiss

I was thinking of you when I almost careened into a snowplow on my way home.