MLB 2008-09 Hot Stove League

I don't know the rules perfectly, but can't they sign more by releasing type a free agents (Abreu, pettite?)?

I'm not sure.

I found this in a rush.

The Free Agency Procedure

A club receives compensation if it loses a free agent before December 2. (Free Agent Compensation is discussed at length below.)

By December 1st, each Major League team must decide whether to offer salary arbitration to their former players who have filed for free agency. A club not offering arbitration may continue to negotiate with the player but does not receive compensation if he signs with another club.

By December 7th, a player who has been offered arbitration must accept or reject. If the player accepts the offer, he returns to his club

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It says if 63 or more players file for free agency, then there are no such limits applied.

I understand that. I just don't know about if you lose a type A to free agency, he can be replaced with another question mfwahl asked. (Not that it would apply this season.)

I can't wait for the Yankees to miss the playoffs despite their gargantuan payroll.

You might be waitin' a while. The Bombers are loaded for bear. Hopefully, all the Red Sox fans will enjoy their return to underdog status.

I'd say there's very little chance the Yankees don't make the playoffs this year.

Would you have said this same thing at this same time last year?

(I don't disagree with you -- they are virtually a lock for the playoffs, but I guess on paper, they are always a lock to make the postseason over 162 games)

Would you have said this same thing at this same time last year?

(I don't disagree with you -- they are virtually a lock for the playoffs, but I guess on paper, they are always a lock to make the postseason over 162 games)

They've got a way better team this year than last. But yeah, I probably would've said they were a favorite to make the playoffs.

But I also expected 86 wins from the Rays last year, so I did expect there to be a fight.

That seems like a line I've heard before. Hasn't always worked, either.

No one's saying they did not acquire some great players, (and I realize you do not believe in clubhouse "vibe"), but there's absolutely no way they are a virtual lock before anyone's played or even stopped acquiring pieces. Just because they've spent $400 million on a few players means little once we get going next spring.

That seems like a line I've heard before. Hasn't always worked, either.

No one's saying they did not acquire some great players, (and I realize you do not believe in clubhouse "vibe"), but there's absolutely no way they are a virtual lock before anyone's played or even stopped acquiring pieces. Just because they've spent $400 million on a few players means little once we get going next spring.

So there's no point in making predictions at any point ever?

The roster the Yankees have assembled is going to be very good. They've improved more than any team in the league. Sure, they aren't a "lock", becuase anything can change, but they've probably assembled the most talent in the majors on one team. Sure, Sabathia's arm could fall off or A-Rod and Tiexiera might become slap hitters, but in all probability, this team is going to make the playoffs.

It has nothing to do with the $400 million. It's the players that $400 million got them. Sabathia is a young ace pitcher who should, barring injury, be able to give them a sub-3.5 ERA. Wang and Burnett are solid 3.75-ish type of pitchers, and Joba has all kinds of upside. They'll also be able to score a bunch of runs with Tiexiera and A-Rod, and they should get bounceback years from Posada, Cano and Swisher.

I know you hate the Yankees, but give them some credit. They've strengthened their team massively this offseason. They are as close to a "lock" as anyone in baseball is.

The NYY have a decent chance of not making the playoffs this coming season. They've done it plenty of times with absurd payrolls.

"Virtually a lock." Come on.

Norbs made my point for me. They've made the playoffs 14 out of 15 years! And I didnt suggest that they are virtually a lock to win the world series. I just think that the great thing (or bad thing, depending on your viewpoint) about baseball and the 162 game season is that things have a way of working out the way they should over a really long regular season.

Now this isn't to suggest anything about the playoffs where a bad bounce is magnified in a short series. But over a long season? I think a team with a rotation of CC, Burnett, Wang, Joba, Pettite(?), etc. is a virtual lock to make the postseason.

I suppose the best argument against the Yanks being a lock this year is that the Rays are better than they've ever been in these last 15 years, so it is possible that the Sox and Rays are better over 162 games. You could certainly make the case that the Yanks have never had this kind of competition within their division.

The NYY have not been a "lock" for anything in recent years with their yearly highest payroll, was my point. I mis-spoke with the "plenty of times" deal. I also gave them credit for improving this off-season, which they do every off-season. They are no more a lock than BOS or TB, though, and that has nothing to do with my distaste for them.

The Rays have great pitching though. Pitching could keep them in the hunt.

I'm betting (hoping) CC's arm falters at some point with all the IPs over the past 2 seasons and Burnett's injury tendencies keep him from earning his $.

I am not really sure what we are arguing about here. We all know that games are played on the field, not on paper. On paper, the Yankees are significantly improved over a team that won 89 games last year. As bobbob and I admitted earlier, we both would have said that the Yanks were a virtual lock last year -- given 14 yrs in a row, and the roster they had on paper. We would have been (or were) wrong. Of course we can be wrong again this year. Except that this team is vastly improved over the one from last year. And last year's team won 89 games with an injured Wang, an ancient Mussina, and a disappointing Pettite. 89 games!

This is why they play the games.

And they can't get here soon enough.