MLB 2008-09 Hot Stove League

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see Peavy come to Atlanta but it looks like a Khalil Greene for Yunel Escobar swap would be part of it. I like Yunel, and I think he's only going to get better. Maybe a three team deal will come together.

Then again, I've read that Peavy doesn't want to come to Atlanta and wants to go to the Dodgers.

Padres GM saying Peavy and Greene deals will be separate. Sweet. Rumor mill says Peavy going to either Braves or Cubs.

Now that the election is over, I'm sticking with baseball as my obsession.

Id be shocked to see Junichi Tazawa end up anywhere but Boston or Seattle

As much as I cared about the election Hot Stove baseball is my obsession from November-February

The Braves gave him an offer yesterday. From what I've read though he'll need some time in the minors. Given that the Braves don't have a lot of pieces they're willing to move, I would think they would want to save cash for a pitcher they can use now.

I haven't been paying attention (and honestly don't really give a fuck), but did we ever find out what Jeter stole from Yankee Stadium?

Lou Gehrig's skull.

I haven't been paying attention (and honestly don't really give a fuck), but did we ever find out what Jeter stole from Yankee Stadium?

The hearts of many a young lady (and a few young men) due to him being a True Yankee and one with calming eyes, at that. And don't forget the intangibles.

gas is up, and so is tek.

Although Jason Varitek's numbers show that he has declined offensively, his agent, Scott Boras, is eyeing Jorge Posada's contract from last offseason -- four years, $52.4 million -- as a benchmark for Varitek, according to the Boston Globe.

"The idea of it is there aren't many players in the marketplace who lead a team like Jason Varitek can, and that's got to be his value," Boras said.

Red Sox GM Theo Epstein, who had no comment about Boras' words, has had preliminary talks with the agent. It appears, though, that the Red Sox will be talking to the Rangers about two of their young catchers, Taylor Teagarden and Jarrod Saltalamacchia, who could be in play if the Red Sox are willing to give up one of their pitching prospects (like Clay Buchholz or Michael Bowden).

According to the Globe, the teams mentioned as likely destinations for Varitek are the Dodgers and the Tigers. The Dodgers, though, would consider moving Russell Martin to third base.

I give Boras credit for trying, but please, it's insulting to posit that Varitek is worth a four year contract at this stage in his career, let alone that kind of money simply because he's a "leader." If the Sox can get Salty from Texas that's a fair shake.

He'd be lucky to still be playing in 3 years, let alone 4.

Exactly.

'Tek is a good influence in the clubhouse, handles pitchers very effectively, and still has merit as a backstop- but he's pretty shot offensively and he's wearing down defensively, too. He needs a part-time gig somewhere but I don't think he'd be willing to take one. A two-year contract is fair to him, I think. Of course, he and Boras are free to disagree but I'm not sure where that'll leave him/them.