"Parallel Worlds, Parallel Lives"

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/manyworlds/

For most of Mark Oliver Everett's life, things didn't add up. "Parallel Worlds, Parallel Lives" follows Mark, better known as E, the lead singer of the rock band EELS, across the country as he attempts to understand the fantastic possibility of parallel universes and unravel the story of his troubled family and the father he never really knew

Yeah, that was really cool. And then he puts in that second tape and hears himself as a child, playing with the dictaphone. That was a really special moment.

Joss, I guess you were looking for something different than I was....I didn't see it as a documentary about quantum mechanics, or even a play by play history of Hugh Everett. For me, the appeal of it was that it was about Mark uncovering so much of his father that he never knew existed and finally coming to understand his lack of a personal relationship with him.

I downloaded this a long time ago and I've watched it over and over again. I am in lurve with E. and I've got a thing for physics. Highly recommend it.

Lizish, I love your avatar. That's my favorite shirt ever.

Joss, I guess you were looking for something different than I was....I didn't see it as a documentary about quantum mechanics, or even a play by play history of Hugh Everett. For me, the appeal of it was that it was about Mark uncovering so much of his father that he never knew existed and finally coming to understand his lack of a personal relationship with him.

yeah, i guess so. it's not like i thought it was bad or anything, i'd happily watch it again. i think the thing was that at roughly the same time the bbc also ran about 5 or 6 episodes of a series about quantum mechanics and all that jazz, which i really found interesting, and this didn't quite appeal to me in the same way. i never even quite understood what his theory was besides "parallel worlds"; when they talked about it they talked about 'schrodinger's cat' to explain it and other such things which he was not a part of - and i would have liked to understand just what it was he did scientifically to justify his thoughts, otherwise it just seems like he thought, "i bet there are parallel worlds!" and nothing more. maybe i need to watch it again.

I downloaded this a long time ago and I've watched it over and over again. I am in lurve with E. and I've got a thing for physics. Highly recommend it.

Lizish, I love your avatar. That's my favorite shirt ever.

wish I had it. I've got an RS one with a thin cartoon boy on the front, but that is it.

I also enjoyed this, but then I'm a huge Eels fanboi. I do agree though, that the special wasn't that easy to follow on the physics side. Just kind of rambled around for whatever reason -- I watched a NOVA episode about the Mandelbrot set that was similarly circuitous and discursive.

I think Mr. E should get his own reality show. "Life of an antisocial hermit rock star" is a good premise for anything basically.