Jeff Tweedy Called Me Today

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it makes someone feel special and tingly by simply telling people to vote, I have no problem with that.

But voting and having a reason and/or opinion to vote are different things.

Many people (myself included), don't really give a rat's ass about politics 99 percent of their lives. For me, the election season stirs me up a bit and makes me read and listen and make judgements and form opinions.

But on my ballot, there were 2 questions that, though I kind of leaned one way, I didn't feel I knew enough about the subject to vote on it.

Because you pull someone off a street corner and take him to vote, doesn't mean that person will know who or what to vote for.

I stand by what I hinted at earlier:

If you're too lazy or don't remember or aren't interested (or imformed) enough to vote, then DON'T.

On a side note, Patterson Hood and the Drive-by Truckers sent an email with a free song encouraging me to vote. That's cool, I guess.

But then he goes on a rant about how Bush sucks and he likes Obama.

Uh, Patterson?

I could give a flying f**k who you vote for.

This is the first time that I have felt like people are coming together to work for the common good in a long time, and I just don't get how that's a bad thing. In any way, shape or form. Snarky and predictable Radiohead posts, and "whats on your playlist" threads notwithstanding, let me paraphrase Elvis Costello Nick Lowe Bill Murray: what the f*ck is so funny about peace, love and understanding (and voting)?

Double fixed. :thumbup

It just doesn't matter ... it just doesn't matter ... it just doesn't matter ...

If it makes someone feel special and tingly by simply telling people to vote, I have no problem with that.

But voting and having a reason and/or opinion to vote are different things.

Many people (myself included), don't really give a rat's ass about politics 99 percent of their lives. For me, the election season stirs me up a bit and makes me read and listen and make judgements and form opinions.

But on my ballot, there were 2 questions that, though I kind of leaned one way, I didn't feel I knew enough about the subject to vote on it.

Because you pull someone off a street corner and take him to vote, doesn't mean that person will know who or what to vote for.

If you're too lazy or don't remember or aren't interested (or imformed) enough to vote, then DON'T.

These approaches to getting out the vote were used quite effectively by Karl Rove and the Bush administration in 2000 and 2004. McCain, not so much.

George Will and other conservatives would agree with this. But given our country's history (poll taxes, grandfather clauses, Jim Crow), I feel everyone should be encouraged to vote, and it should be made as easy as possible. From my experience, encouraging people to vote gets them more interested in the issues and more educated about current affairs.

When Obama wins, you may want to check out the many other countries that don't allow people to vote. You may find what you're looking for there.

'this is tweedy, bring home 2 chocolate chip cookies and one peanut butter cookie for the children. again, this is tweedy'.

:rotfl

Man, are we gonna get some mileage from that story!

George Will and other conservatives would agree with this. But given our country's history (poll taxes, grandfather clauses, Jim Crow), I feel everyone should be encouraged to vote, and it should be made as easy as possible. From my experience, encouraging people to vote gets them more interested in the issues and more educated about current affairs.

When Obama wins, you may want to check out the many other countries that don't allow people to vote. You may find what you're looking for there.

This is 100% asinine and doesn't warrant a thoughtful response.

This is 100% asinine and doesn't warrant a thoughtful response.

What do you have against encouraging people to vote? It's fine to disagree, but asinine? This is a democracy. When people are encouraged to vote, they tend to become more interested in the issues. I believe that is good for this country. period.

I'm pretty sure this is what he was calling asinine:

I thought it was funny

You should have just put a boot in his ass, Toby.

* Just kidding.

I'm pretty sure this is what he was calling asinine:

Right on.

I'd LOVE for EVERYONE to vote. I'd love it even more if everyone could name 2 things either candidate is in support of before voting.

I gurantee thousands are voting for Obama solely because he's black.

And probably thousands more are voting for McCain solely becuase of his sacrifices in Vietnam.